Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Freeze plugs [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plugs

Marker1989
01-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Soo one of my freeze plugs in my motor popped out today while it was sitting outside. Basically what do I need to do to put it back in?

Timido
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Get a new Freeze plug take some fine sandpaper and clean out the hole. Put some silicone on the new plug. Take a socket or driver that fits the freeze plug and drive it in. Seat the plug even and as far in as the old freeze plugs. If you cant get to the plug or the block is screwed up they make bolt together rubber freeze plugs they sell them at NAPA. They are handy for tight spots like under exhaust manifolds while the motor is in the car.

Marker1989
01-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Sweet, thanks man. I think Ill buy one of the rubber ones for now and put the metal one back in when I swap this motor into another car in a few weeks. What should I look for to make sure The block or heads didnt crack?

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-03-2010, 01:42 AM
This is kind of related, the block heater in my cherokee came out...the clip that holds it in broke and we couldn't find a replacement so we went to lowes and got a 2 inch pipe plug that goes in and has a butterfly nut that you turn to expand it. I've had that in place of the block heater for about a month and it's working fine. The block heater went in where there's normally a freeze out plug. The catch is i don't think your plug is as big as the thing i'm using but a guy told me they make different sizes so you might want to take the old plug to lowes and try to match it up. I used some rtv with it for good measure.

Timido
01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
That is what the NAPA rubber plugs is like http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Freeze-Plug---Rubber-Expansion-Motormite_5701309-P_740_N/GRPENGPAMS?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5701309-P

Check the size I just looked this up for the part