Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
In the market for a new carb, looking for opinions [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new carb, looking for opinions

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm looking to buy a new carb and can't make up my mind on what i want or what is gonna be the best bang for the buck. I've currently got a holley 650 double pumper and while i am happy with it, i want something a little more serious. My engine is a pump gas 347 with ported windsor heads, an anderson n91 cam and right now a stealth intake but i'm looking to switch to a victor jr when i get the new carb. It dynoed 362/364 at the wheels. I've got my hopes up that maybe with a better carb and the victor jr that it might reach 400hp with my old school heads. Anyway my choice carbs right now are either a holley 650hp or something from barry grant, or even a custom carb. What i'm most unsure about are the speed demon carbs. I hear a lot of mixed reviews. Some people, adam from cinci speed for example who tuned my car are big on them. He felt i'd pick up power switching to one. Then others have said you better tear them down and check for debris because they're build quality sucks.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry i'm on a phone so i can't make huge posts. Anyways this article is november of 2002 and they test the road demon 525 and speed demon 575. In the end they put the speed demon on a 393 equipped ten second car and it runs the same times as it did with a 750hp holley. They go on about how throttle response is incredible and they're shocked such a small carb ran so well on the big stroker. It says barry grant say this carb is good for up to 500hp engines. It's also mechanical secondaries which is a must. Does anyone have experience with any of this?

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Lastly i've read that they rate their carbs by wet flow as opposed to dry air flow and that the 575 is closer to a 650 in dry flow terms. Does this sound right?

A05C
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
depending on how much you wanted to spend, i'd recomend prosystem's.. Patrick there did my 950hp for my 410. He's a great guy to deal with and wont steer you in the wrong direction

mikedamufflr
12-31-2009, 07:45 AM
how much you want for the holley u got if u want to get rid of it i need one. send a pm and ill get ahold of you i will till 6:30

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-31-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm sure i'll be selling it but i need to get the new one first. What's the price range on something custom? I've seen the speed demons for under 500 and that's with billet blocks and base plate. I also like the annular boosters on the speed demon 575 but that's not mandatory.

babiixoxbritty
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
demon rates their carbs wet like you said, i had a holley 650 double pumper, and switched to a 575 demon and picked up 8 mph and 1/2 a second on a stock bottom end 302 with afr 165s stealth intake and f cam. the car ran 12.40s at 112 on the motor with the demon. we then switched to a 650 speed demon on the same motor and the car will go 113 all day long, and has gone in the upper 120s with a 150 shot. It made 300/325 na and 440/540 on the spray on a dyno dynamics dyno, witch reads 18 percent lower than a dynojet. Anyway, both carbs have been very good besides an occasional power valve or idle screw adjustment. I have buddys who have also had very good luck with them also.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
01-01-2010, 02:33 AM
(This is Adam from Cincy Speed if you didn't know) The demons flow very well as you know. They do sometimes have stupid issues like from the factory (jets laying in the bowls) however these things are easily fixed before the carb goes on. Demons are also great because they don't leak out of the throttle shafts like Holleys. However every tuner will have their own opinion. I have tuned several hundred mighty and speed demons and still have not been disappointed. Good luck with your decision hope I helped...

Timido
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I think mine is a race demon. Lots to tune if you want to mess with the air bleeds they are replaceble. My carb works great. Mine leaks at the base plate and throttle shaft.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Adam i'll prob be down to see you later this month once i get the intake on. I'll prob be buying the demon and have you set it up right out of the box. I'm really torn between the 575 and 650. Since it's wet flow i'm not sure which is right for me and i really don't wanna lose throttle response or streetability. I'm also thinking about eventually adding an electric choke since i can't resist driving my car in the winter when the roads are dry.