Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
some people just wear you out [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : some people just wear you out

plated
12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
i swear i'm ready to go to the mall and work and sell sunglasses or something:cool2: this month has just wore me the fuck out,i aint never een soooo stressed in my life i tell ya one thing working at home is no fun people will drive you crazy hound the livin shit out of you expecially when you get 4 in a row hounding at you during the holidays and a new one in the family,i've een doing this shit for 20 yrs now for a living and this past month has got me reconsidering this shit,when you work at home it's to convient to have people calling all hrs of the day emails and pms i try to give fair prices and e fair to people ut it's taking a toll on me,i guess some people just don't have anything else to do all day argggggg. if it's takes a couple extra weeks extra to save my rep thats what need to e done,this work is alot different then throwing some parts on ,i see why shops are charging $3,000-$10,000 for paint work aggravation fee.on top of that we just had the little and the holidays i was getting calls on christmas and in the hospital knowing the people knows whats going on you would think they would undestand i guess some people just have no concience. i think i'm going to accidently drop my laptop now.

chadomac
12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
hang in there it will get better.

Pitbull1052
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Not that i know you're pain now but I had my own detail shop before and worked for 3 dealers you just have to know when to say when and it sounds like youre way past when. I would literally turn my phone off every night at like 10

347sc
12-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Yep, Im with you there. They want it now and they want it cheap. They think all the candy colors and graphics are cheap and they can be done in minutes instead of the hours of prep work and lay out that goes into it. Me I price the job with all that in mind and if I dont get it then thats fine because thats not the kind of customer I want any way. Those are the same ones that want to change things when you are half way thru or think that you have nothing better to do then stop in the middle of another job to get them in and done. I cant tell you how many times I will be in the middle of laying paint or doing body work and have the same person call 4 times after you say you will call right back as soon as you finish and clean you hands up. They think they are the most important person you deal with. But I try to communicate the best way possible the answers to their questions. Because every job I do is the most important job because it pays my bills. Quality takes time and money regardless of what they think. I used to try to do it the cheapest way to save the customer money and it always came back and bit me in the ass. Now I tell them what it takes and if it doesnt work for them I say sorry I cant help you.
Dont let it get to you buddy. Doing this as a business you will have that and it is how you deal with it that define us the people we are. They want it fast and now go to McDonalds they want a quality job then have patients and listen to the person doing the work because they know far more about the process then the average Joe.

But to be fair there are some back yard hacks that give us a bad name. And thats the toughest thing when dealing with a new customer, they judge us by the last guy that broke it off in em. You are either the best painter in the world or you are the worst.

In short you get what you pay for and if you want quality be willing pay for it and listen and have patients. And remember you cant please everyone but still try your best.

Maximus
12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
i swear i'm ready to go to the mall and work and sell sunglasses or something:cool2: this month has just wore me the fuck out,i aint never een soooo stressed in my life i tell ya one thing working at home is no fun people will drive you crazy hound the livin shit out of you expecially when you get 4 in a row hounding at you during the holidays and a new one in the family,i've een doing this shit for 20 yrs now for a living and this past month has got me reconsidering this shit,when you work at home it's to convient to have people calling all hrs of the day emails and pms i try to give fair prices and e fair to people ut it's taking a toll on me,i guess some people just don't have anything else to do all day argggggg. if it's takes a couple extra weeks extra to save my rep thats what need to e done,this work is alot different then throwing some parts on ,i see why shops are charging $3,000-$10,000 for paint work aggravation fee.on top of that we just had the little and the holidays i was getting calls on christmas and in the hospital knowing the people knows whats going on you would think they would undestand i guess some people just have no concience. i think i'm going to accidently drop my laptop now.

Yep, Im with you there. They want it now and they want it cheap. They think all the candy colors and graphics are cheap and they can be done in minutes instead of the hours of prep work and lay out that goes into it. Me I price the job with all that in mind and if I dont get it then thats fine because thats not the kind of customer I want any way. Those are the same ones that want to change things when you are half way thru or think that you have nothing better to do then stop in the middle of another job to get them in and done. I cant tell you how many times I will be in the middle of laying paint or doing body work and have the same person call 4 times after you say you will call right back as soon as you finish and clean you hands up. They think they are the most important person you deal with. But I try to communicate the best way possible the answers to their questions. Because every job I do is the most important job because it pays my bills. Quality takes time and money regardless of what they think. I used to try to do it the cheapest way to save the customer money and it always came back and bit me in the ass. Now I tell them what it takes and if it doesnt work for them I say sorry I cant help you.
Dont let it get to you buddy. Doing this as a business you will have that and it is how you deal with it that define us the people we are. They want it fast and now go to McDonalds they want a quality job then have patients and listen to the person doing the work because they know far more about the process then the average Joe.

But to be fair there are some back yard hacks that give us a bad name. And thats the toughest thing when dealing with a new customer, they judge us by the last guy that broke it off in em. You are either the best painter in the world or you are the worst.

In short you get what you pay for and if you want quality be willing pay for it and listen and have patients. And remember you cant please everyone but still try your best.

BOTH of you guys have done work for me and I am very appreciative in the work and skills you two have brought to the jobs.
THANKS again Guys!!:bigthumb

347sc
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
BOTH of you guys have done work for me and I am very appreciative in the work and skills you two have brought to the jobs.
THANKS again Guys!!:bigthumb

And you have been one of the easiest going people I have done work for. You know what you want, Asked me my opinion and you got exactly what you wanted. Thanks for the business Craig :bigthumb

plated
12-29-2009, 11:26 AM

ahhhhhhhhhh someone that understands;) i was hopeing you would chime in on this you couldn't have said it any etter.i've had other guys on here work on my cars and was never to rush them i know how that shit feels,and u and i know this is alot different than throwiing parts on a car,it takes time and patience to do quality work not getting a pm the day afetr they drop there car off asking hows it comeing then getting them everyday till it's done know one wants to deal with that crap no matter how much oney they have.when you get 3 or 4 guys doing that everyday it gets old,i know people get excited and want to get there car ack when someones rep is on the line you have to put a stop to it you know.

347sc
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
The the way I see it My name is on every car that goes out the door and it reflects on me and me only if it doesnt look good. The customer isnt going to say "well I told him to do it that way and its my fault all the corners were cut". Hell no, they blame me and then Im the bad guy.

Another thing I get on here is I get asked for an estimate and they say welll I can get it done at (insert name here) for less.Lol This is not barter town, take it to em and when you bring it to me to get it redone its going to be higher to fix that shit.
Dont get me wrong, I dont think Im the only person around that can paint a car but I do know my work ethic and I know what they will get when Im done.

Just do your thing man, the way I see it is my work speaks volumes for my business and it gets me the jobs I enjoy doing. I know its the same for you.

plated
12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
it's hard to get any one to pay 5 grand for a paint jo,i don't have a huge overhead i get good prices on materials and try to go easy on the pricing i'd just excpect a little patience thats all i'm getting at,i'm not getting rich at all just keeping overhead paid and staying alive.i don't think a month or 2 is to long for an allover.do you

2Kblacksleeper
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I am hopefully thinking of having an all over paint job this next year. Just a basic factory color most likely with a cowl hood.

If you tell me it is going to take a month or what ever time frame, then that is fine by me. I would not be sending you pm's or calling you every day. That seems counter productive to me. I would like maybe a weekly update just to know how the baby is doing. But i'm sure you get my drift. I hope things get better for you.

Plated,
Is there any kind of a standard price to to a recover in a stock color or similar or is it all an inspection basis? I know there is a tiny bit or rust on the bottom of my doors on my 95 Gt and 2 dents on the driver door. I know those would need looked at but i was just looking for an idea for cost. Please Pm if you would like.

Oh and Congrats on the new lil one.

John

Blackpony
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
You should start doing what Earl Scheib does. Owner preps and does all body work then you paint it for 100 bucks and out the door.

Ranger50
12-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Seems like it's time to laydown some ground rules and a "work" phone number. I had some head work done by a gentleman that had very specific times on when he could be reached without leaving a message and getting a call back. If you called and didn't leave a message, don't expect a call back, his words. Even if you did leave a message don't expect a call back right away, it was when he could get a chance to call you back.

Common courtesy has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Brian

347sc
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
it's hard to get any one to pay 5 grand for a paint jo,i don't have a huge overhead i get good prices on materials and try to go easy on the pricing i'd just excpect a little patience thats all i'm getting at,i'm not getting rich at all just keeping overhead paid and staying alive.i don't think a month or 2 is to long for an allover.do you

Lol hell its hard to get some one to pay$1500 and they want the $5000 job. I give them a time frame and stick to it. I try to get them done but if I say a month and they agree they should not hound you every minute.

I agree with business hours and the business phone.

chadomac
12-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Hey Chris you know my story all ready about the HACK that had my car. i paid and waited over 3 months to get mine back and it was still not done. all i have ever heard was great things about you (expect from the hack that did mine and you know how that turned out). i should have followed my gut and had you do it. when i get through all my problems and back on my feet you will be the first and only one to touch my car again. keep your head up and do what you do. you have a skill that not many people have.

bestracing
12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Seems like it's time to laydown some ground rules and a "work" phone number. I had some head work done by a gentleman that had very specific times on when he could be reached without leaving a message and getting a call back. If you called and didn't leave a message, don't expect a call back, his words. Even if you did leave a message don't expect a call back right away, it was when he could get a chance to call you back.

Common courtesy has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Brian
I'd have to agree but take it a step further. Separate number, answer machine and set aside two times in the day for call backs. Stick to your schedule and after a certain time, even if you're still in the garage, Do Not Answer the phone. It's after hours and that is your time and people need to respect that.

mustang8998
12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Chris, Here are some Bs for you, to copy and paste, 'til you can get your keyboard fixed.

B

b

Just messin' with you dude!

Hope the new year is better for you!

plated
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Chris, Here are some Bs for you, to copy and paste, 'til you can get your keyboard fixed.

B

b

Just messin' with you dude!

Hope the new year is better for you!
lol there would e alot of ad words eing said right now you astard thats just ullshit so just ack off ok:fart i'm having a ad day i kinda feel like i'm retarded or hairlip typing:lol::

redfirepearlgt
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Your reputation preceeds you plated. I was told to come to you with a touch up job (insurance claim) I needed done on my drivers side front fender. After seeing the awesome examples you have done, I felt to bother you with this little $600 scratch repair would have been an insult to your talent. I will keep you in mind for future use if you stay with it and promise not to call every hour. LOL!

Working with customers can be a monumental task. While I do not work in the auto industry, I do work in the fabricating industry servicing and installing CNC laser fabrication equipment. Nothign like a PO'd customer who just bought a $700,000.00 machine and was told by the sales rep it can be delivered, installed, and running in 2-3 days. Installation alone after delivery and initial rough level will take 3-4 days if done properly, and like you I take pride in my work and do not cut corners.

Hang in there and get a garage!!!! You are good enough to have a three or four bay shop!!! Your work exhibits your eye for and attention to detail. That is a qualty hard to find these days. So many people these days simply want to rush the job done (uh that's close enough) then expect a big slap on the back and a bonus for just doing their job. The work I have seen of yours exhibits a person who puts pride in every task he undertakes. Darn good trait to have!!! Don't give up doing what you enjoy doing. Get a shop!!!! and an unlisted cell phone!!!! LOL! Have a good New Year!!!!

Buckeye
12-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Chris when I ran my shop I found that some people will push and push for whatever they can get and you have to learn to spot them and be bold and up front and tell them no this is the price and this is how long it will take and I will call you if there is a problem or when it is done. and most of the time this puts a stop to it.........most of the time