Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Fastest, cheepest ways to get more power [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fastest, cheepest ways to get more power

sean
11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a mostly stock ( I think ) 97 cobra. Has cold air in the fender and an x or h pipe, no cats, with stock mufflers. I bought it this way. whats the cheepest way to pull some more power out of it. I want to start off with the most inexpensive stuff and work my way up to a S/C. Throw some ideas at me on what you would do and a rough hp or tq gain and what I can expect to pay.
Thanks
Sean

95turbocharged
11-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Get it tuned and pit a 4.10 or 4.30 gear in it

306Power
11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Defenitly gear swap, if you plan on going SC in the future if it was me I would go no higher than 3:73's. Get a short throw shifter also. I would personally get some aftermarket mufflers welded in just for the sound myself. I love Flows on Mod motors but everybody has different tastes in that.

sean
11-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Will the stock tranny hold with a s/c? I have heard the forks in mine arent that great. Wich flowmasters would you go with. I am thinking some single chambers.

sean
11-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I dont mean my shifter forks are bad just the stock tranny forks are weak in general

306Power
11-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Is it just the T-45 that comes in those years of the Cobra? If so I probably wouldnt trust a stock one for too long on a SC if it was me. Personally my favorite Flowmasters were always 40 series American Thunder, I think those are 2 chamber though. Check out some exhaust vids on youtube and see which ones you like the most. Your right though if it is the T-45 the input shaft is weak. I beleive their only 10 spline? Could be wrong there. Their biggest problem isnt on the launch but on the 1-2 shift and 3-4 shift.

sean
11-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I dont beat the hell out of it. No real hard launches. If I take it easy on it it should hold the power shouldnt it

sean
11-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I dont get on it real hard on shifts either.

Blackout
11-21-2009, 02:21 PM
you can get underdrive pullies, 2 chamber flowmasters, 3:73 gears, and if you want, get a shifter. You can also get a little giggle juice and make some more power.

306Power
11-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I think their power rating is usually good up to around 400-450 RWHP but if you start running that much you wouldnt wanna run slicks with a stock rear end or stock tranny. You would definitly spill them both out all over the pavement in that case. Power shifting is what would really hurt it with weak input shafts.

Squale iii
11-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Dumb question...but why would you want flowmasters for more power? Aren't those some of the most restrictive aftermarket mufflers? Just sayin..

2Kblacksleeper
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I remember reading a while ago on Turbomustangs.com that the flowmasters actually hindered boost on a turbo car. fyi

I like the way they sound on older cars and thats what i have on my 95 right now. I picked mine up for 40.00 bucks though. I bought the car and it had jacked up glass packs that were horriable. Huge holes in the welds the guy did. It looked like they let blind person weld it up.

I had Magnaflow magnapacks on my 00 Lightning and i loved them. It was the JDM Silver bullet exhaust.

In the spring i plan on switching back to the Magna pack with the 3.5" tips.

Just a little food for thought.

John

sean
11-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Thats why I was thinking about going single chambers. what would you put on that dont sound like someone clearing their throat.

2Kblacksleeper
11-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Honestly search all the videos you can and go off of that. I think i spent like 3 hours on you tube listening to different set ups one night. I like the Magna packs. I believe they are a little louder without cats. I dont have mine removed yet.
I also dont drive my car everyday.

I've got headers and an off road x-pipe that i was going to have it and the full exhaust done at the same time. Since it does not make sense to pay for labor twice.

John

Squale iii
11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
youtube ftw. Find your car with different mufflers and go from there. I have a magnaflow bullet...but that's b/c i don't care about my neighbors lol. I used to love flowmasters when I was a kid with my first V8...but now I think flowmasters are kinda pointless. I'd do alittle research and get the least restrictive kinds...Are you limited to a certain number of chambers? Or can you do straight thru mufflers? Just wondering cuz i bet the borla or magnaflow str8 thru design mufflers would sound good as fuck and flow nice.

306Power
11-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Flowmasters are for sure the most restrictive aftermarket muffler. Sound wise Ive always liked them though, when it comes to aftermarket mufflers theres really no power gain in any. Its all about whatever sounds good to you.

Squale iii
11-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Flowmasters are for sure the most restrictive aftermarket muffler. Sound wise Ive always liked them though, when it comes to aftermarket mufflers theres really no power gain in any. Its all about whatever sounds good to you.

One thought would be to buy w/e muffler sounds best and just run a cutout for when you wanna go to the track or get down. Just another option. Yes, flows sound great, but who wants an awesome sounding car when they're getting beat in a race? LOL. I guess it depends what his intentions are...you gonna be racing it or just cruising around? Flows may be a good muffler for you if you don't plan on getting serious power wise.

sean
11-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I want to do a few bolt ons, msd if it makes sense to do a tune then down the road (a year or so if I still have the car) put on a s/c. No racing just a nice street car. Wont be getting beat on just want it there so I can play from time to time.

Dirtyd0g
11-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I hate rust masters.....Proof that expensive marketing on a poor product actually works.
Alan

Squale iii
11-21-2009, 10:58 PM
^yup lol. i used to think my 93.5 LT1 Z28 was super fast with the new Flowmasters. Now looking back...it wasn't fast LOL.

Evil_Capri
11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Lose some weight . . .

Aluminum Driveshaft
Rear seat delete
Aftermarket Front seats
Aftermarket K-member
etc.

sean
11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Keep in mind this is still a nice day d/d so I will be keeping heat, a/c, kick butt stereo, etc.

redfirepearlgt
11-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Keep in mind this is still a nice day d/d so I will be keeping heat, a/c, kick butt stereo, etc.

4.10 gears. You already have the offroad midpipe on the car. Bought and installed by Cincy or MD you are looking at 600-800 at a guess. The best bang for the buch and a real nice seat of the pants improvement. Woke my 02 up. One thing mod motors lack from the factory is torque. 4.10 gears really are good and believe it or not they don't turn the car into a 10 MPG gas guzzler. Talk to ken at MD or Craig at Cincy. They both have dyno's for tuning as well.:bigthumb

sean
11-22-2009, 02:00 AM
So it sounds like a couple mufflers, 410gear and a tune on the dyno and I will have a much peppier car. I thing I should get the pullies, mufflers, 410 then let someone dyno and tune it. Then I should be good untill the s/c

Squale iii
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Lose some weight . . .

Aluminum Driveshaft
Rear seat delete
Aftermarket Front seats
Aftermarket K-member
etc.

relocate the battery?

Squale iii
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
So it sounds like a couple mufflers, 410gear and a tune on the dyno and I will have a much peppier car. I thing I should get the pullies, mufflers, 410 then let someone dyno and tune it. Then I should be good untill the s/c

And if they're really charging $600-$800 for a gear swap...GAWD DAMN!...Aren't parts only like $150-$200???

Rick93coupe
11-22-2009, 07:42 PM
You don't want a chambered muffler for a power adder car. However some cars do well with the back pressure of a chambered muffler.
I gutted the catalytic converter on my jeep 4.0L and lost a bunch of low end torque. I know it's not a 5 Liter mustang, but the same principle applies.

2Kblacksleeper
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I was last quoted 300 from them for labor plus parts.

Squale iii
11-22-2009, 07:46 PM
that's more like it lol. i was like whoever pays that much is probably the same person who pays $75 for a synthetic oil change LOL.

JA04GT
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a few mods on my 04 but the best bang for a buck was my zex wet kit. Im only spraying a 100 shot to it and it makes it real nice when that jet opens up. the kits are only about $550. Or you can keep an eye out and pick one up for 450 that has never been installed like i did. The cheepest way is to keep an eye on this site cause you can get some killer deals. :bigthumb

9cobra4
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Screw 4:10's, go for 4:30's. This isn't a 5 liter car.

306Power
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Screw 4:10's, go for 4:30's. This isn't a 5 liter car.

I dont know, if it was me I wouldnt go that high if I planned on going FI. Of course you could always go 4:10s or 4:30s then when you go S/C swap down to 3:73s.

chad393na
11-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a few mods on my 04 but the best bang for a buck was my zex wet kit. Im only spraying a 100 shot to it and it makes it real nice when that jet opens up. the kits are only about $550. Or you can keep an eye out and pick one up for 450 that has never been installed like i did. The cheepest way is to keep an eye on this site cause you can get some killer deals. :bigthumb
Finally someone recommends N2O, it don't get any cheaper than this! Perfect for a torque lacking stock mod motor! By the way, I think that the cobras came with a tremec 3650, although not 100% sure on this one. If so, this is a much better trans than the T-45, will take more power too.

sean
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I am not sure why I would want to relocate the battery. I am not racing the car. Also I am not going with the juice. I need power I can use all the time and legally. I sprayed once in a 69 gto waaay back when on 75 and although it was fun, I dont think it was very legal. I do like the sound of 373 gears but how much different are 373 gears from what I have now.

306Power
11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
It's a seat of pants difference, if you have trouble deciding between 4:10s or 3:73s you can always go with 3:90s.

Waffles
11-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Check my sig.... but strike the throttle body. The TB was done by the previous owner and is a total waste of money without further mods.

TurboNG
11-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I use Nitrous because it is instant power instead of having to build boost to higher RPMs to get the full power. Yes the same applies with nitrous but not as bad. Plus it's on demand instead of driving around with a 600+ HP car all the time keep it on motor @ 400+HP As far as being Illegal! If it's in the car and hooked up your not illegal, only if you get caught using it, and there is no way they can prove you used it.

And for exhaust you need 3-8psi (depending on motor) of back pressure on N/A cars for 1. the scavaging process, 2. for proper 02 signals. On Drag only cars these are not concerns but for a daily driver and you want to keep your gas mileage decent around town it is important. Boosted cars it's better to have an open flow of exhaust gases. 1-3(psi) for street applications

RIXXX93GT
11-23-2009, 10:54 AM
There is nothing illegal about running nitrous on your car, unless you run in a competetive class which does not allow it.

347sc
11-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I am not sure why I would want to relocate the battery. I am not racing the car. Also I am not going with the juice. I need power I can use all the time and legally. I sprayed once in a 69 gto waaay back when on 75 and although it was fun, I dont think it was very legal. I do like the sound of 373 gears but how much different are 373 gears from what I have now.

If the cats are off the car it is already illegal.lol But then again so is breaking the speed limit.

Big gear, and other mods that support you future plans or the smart choice unless you want to buy things twice. Nothing wrong with the N20

Rick93coupe
11-23-2009, 11:47 AM
A 3.73 isn't enough gear for that car.

cobra429boss
11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
go 430 dont be a girl

Waffles
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
A 3.73 isn't enough gear for that car.

Right about that, unless maybe it's with a s/c also. The 4.10s really wake it up and I'm even thinking about swapping up to 4.30s. I've just decided to wait until I get the new motor together and in the car to decide.

The must have mods for that car are a short throw, gears, and a tune. LT's are a good mod but a pain in the ass....

WHYTRY
11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
4.10's is a must or 4.30's in those cars they love em. few friends of mine had 410's and longtubes and they ran in the 12's (dyno tuning is a must with longtubes and gears) or programer with the right guy setting it!. then one put 125 shot on his car and it ran really well. n20 will make the car live longer due to the fact its not allways there to beat on and wear on the motor. also its ready when needed. its not illegal. its over a limit u have to have a hazmat cert. its some # of lbs. n2o isnt the kinda stuff the doctors use so ur not going to fall asleep. might smell some sulfur which isnt good for you but no sleeping. 410 longtubes and 125 shot./ dyno tune= real fun and streetable car. not recomended use with stock clutch.. it looked like a grenade went off in my friends trans with the 125 shot. lol

347sc
11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
its not illegal. its over a limit u have to have a hazmat cert. its some # of lbs. n2o isnt the kinda stuff the doctors use so ur

It is if its sitting in my driveway at a bbq.lol That was a fun night.

sean
11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I dont mean giggle juice is illeagal to have. I am saying its not something I want to be spraying all the time on the street. It is fast and fun to drive. I just want a little more power and always wanted a s/c. If anyone has some mufflers they want to sell that will sound good let me know. I want it to be loud. I dont care about how loud as long as it sounds nice.

1badasp
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I have 4:10's in mine and love it.... I also run a T-45 tranny with a short throw.... my details are in the sig.

redfirepearlgt
11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
I dont mean giggle juice is illeagal to have. I am saying its not something I want to be spraying all the time on the street. It is fast and fun to drive. I just want a little more power and always wanted a s/c. If anyone has some mufflers they want to sell that will sound good let me know. I want it to be loud. I dont care about how loud as long as it sounds nice.

Keep the pipe dream alive Sean. I waited years until finally I couldn't wait any longer and just went and did the S/C. Still wearing that crap eatin' grin every time I "accidentally" take off a little to quick.:rolleyes: Keep saving and you'll get it. Just remember, you don't have to keep refilling a Supercharger.

You want loud? Go to Cincy speed and talk to Craig about the electric exhaust dumps he is carrying now. They are awesome. You sit at a light, guy pulls up, your running your stock exhaust, he cracks the throttle with his typical FM 40's. You flip a switch and give him what for right off the collectors, then flip the switch bach off. :eek: They are awesome. I am looking into the setup for next spring.

WHYTRY
11-23-2009, 10:20 PM
It is if its sitting in my driveway at a bbq.lol That was a fun night.

lmao yea i thought we were going to jail sooner or later.. he had no idea what he was talkin about... middletown cops get a hard on for that kinda stuff. he acted like we was huffin the shit. you can fall asleep while driving lmao!

Dirtyd0g
11-24-2009, 02:43 AM
And if they're really charging $600-$800 for a gear swap...GAWD DAMN!...Aren't parts only like $150-$200???

Depends on if you want someone to press off your original wore out bearings and press them onto new gears or if you want to rebuild it while you are there and do it right.
Here is what I put in a rearend on average.
Ring and pinion~$175
Rebuild kit with axle bearings,seals,and clutches ~$190
Cross pin ~$15
S-Spring ~$15
friction modifier to soak frictions ~$5
Then add an average of $300 in labor plus some gear oil and silicone....
$600 to do it right sounds cheap to me.
Alan

TurboNG
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
2925.33 Possessing nitrous oxide in motor vehicle.
(A) As used in this section, “motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Unless authorized under Chapter 3719., 4715., 4729., 4731., 4741., or 4765. of the Revised Code, no person shall possess an open cartridge of nitrous oxide in either of the following circumstances:
(1) While operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking;
(2) While being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking.
(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of possessing nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
Effective Date: 01-01-1997

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But don't this mean the bottle can be in the car but not open? / Used!

:popcorn:

mrstang-gt-46
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
try mac or dynaflows

347sc
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
2925.33 Possessing nitrous oxide in motor vehicle.
(A) As used in this section, “motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Unless authorized under Chapter 3719., 4715., 4729., 4731., 4741., or 4765. of the Revised Code, no person shall possess an open cartridge of nitrous oxide in either of the following circumstances:
(1) While operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking;
(2) While being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking.
(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of possessing nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
Effective Date: 01-01-1997

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But don't this mean the bottle can be in the car but not open? / Used!

:popcorn:

Correct, valve shut and line disconnected is what I was told.

sean
11-24-2009, 02:20 PM
try mac or dynaflows

Is there a name for either or a series number? Are the like flowmaster and have different models and sounds of are they all the same? I listened to video sounds but they never sound right.

mrstang-gt-46
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
dont know.but do have good flo #.son has them on his stang sounds killer

na svt
11-27-2009, 03:45 PM
LTs, march fluid dampener, short runner intake, some weight loss, an aggressive tune and drag radials, but the first mod must be gears, especially on a B headed Cobra. 4.10s-4.56s, nothing less. Those mods without weight reduction will easily get you into the mid 12s.

e5shea
11-27-2009, 11:03 PM
CAMS!!!! If I could go back, I would have done cams first because thats when I had the money for an upgrade like that. Its easy to come up with $200 or $300 for the other crap down the road that will only make the cams that much better.

e5shea
11-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Correct, valve shut and line disconnected is what I was told.

So a remote bottle opener and a quick disconnect in the cabin would be fine. That way you could shut the bottle and disconnect before the cop ever even got a chance to ask for license and registration.