Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
no vacuum [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : no vacuum

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm having a brain fart type of day. Drove the green car today. Got on it and heard a backfire. Got to work and found the wastegate line off the boost controller which probably caused boost to spike pretty bad. Now the car has to be feathered around 2K RPMs to stay started, stumbles below that. And the vacuum gauge reads no pressure or vacuum. I took the line off to verify its still working. Seems very strange to me. Plugs all look good. Any ideas?

Stangman
11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Pop a hole in your intake or something? maybe your intake piping? Idk... I went out and started the Lincoln one day and it wouldnt idle for crap, had to do the same thing, popped the hood and found that a block off plate I made to cover a hole in the intake where I had cut off the silencers had fallen off.

Sounds like it's waaaay too much air from some where after your T/B and MAF

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I checked most of that. Made sure all the pipes were still on and they were. Don't hear any type of leak but with a open downpipe its hard to hear anything :D I keep leaning toward something that is letting the air out. Meter is a blow through about 12" from the TB. So I would guess maybe the problem is more toward after TB related.

Stangman
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I checked most of that. Made sure all the pipes were still on and they were. Don't hear any type of leak but with a open downpipe its hard to hear anything :D I keep leaning toward something that is letting the air out. Meter is a blow through about 12" from the TB. So I would guess maybe the problem is more toward after TB related.

Blow a hole in your plastic lower intake? :lol:

gosh that would suck

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
nope all looks intact. just double checked all couplers and pipes. still tight connections. Have to give it gas inorder to start it. Started popping some so I stopped for now. Going home to get the truck and tow that bastard.

Pitbull1052
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
damn dude that sucks.........

Stangman
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
See what happens when you go putting a turbo on a car? they get all "sensative" :lol: jfwy

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
hahaha well I did a compression test and all looks good there. got it on the trailer so we shall see. thinking it may be a timing issue of some sorts.

01cobra
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Blow a hole in your plastic lower intake? :lol:

gosh that would suck

Seen that before. Dont know what kinda car this is on but I did a turbo kit for a buddy with an 03 GT. And it did exactly that. Story was....He was running down the interstate datalogging 4th gear pulls and BAM or BOOM (I wasnt there so not sure on that part). He calls me up and swears he just scattered his new BES shortblock. We get the car back to the garage and couldnt see anything. But if you put your hand behind the back of the intake you could feel a huge hole in the intake. Got an aluminum trick flow on it now. Hang on I may even have a pic of it.

01cobra
11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
No Pic thought he mighta put it on his car domain site but apparently not.

Blackout
11-11-2009, 06:55 PM
sounds like you have a huge hole in the intake somewhere. When you push the throttle the car sends more fuel and lets it run. have someone start the car and see if the motor is pulling air through the intake. if its not, your pulling air from somewhere. spray some carb cleaner around the intake and see if the motor will rev better. carb cleaner is higher octane also. don't use starting fluid. I would bet that you blew out one of the plugs out of the intake underneath. These are a plastic plug that the factory puts in. You will need to take the intake off to inspect. but don't worry....it's easy and only should take you a couple hours to get off and on.

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
thanks for the insight guys!! I'm goin out there in a min to check that out. I forgot all about the plugs on the intake.

bobtsgt
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
well I found a piece of the intake. I can kinda see it on the inside. Doesn't look like its a part of the runner but can't rule it out. If I hold my mirror inside the center with a light on it I can see light on the passenger head. Then I can somehow squeeze my hands in there and touch my fingers. I need to check out a PI intake not on a car to determine whats missing and what belongs.

rush88GT
11-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Need some help?

cstreu1026
11-12-2009, 07:37 AM
well I found a piece of the intake. I can kinda see it on the inside. Doesn't look like its a part of the runner but can't rule it out. If I hold my mirror inside the center with a light on it I can see light on the passenger head. Then I can somehow squeeze my hands in there and touch my fingers. I need to check out a PI intake not on a car to determine whats missing and what belongs.

That sucks, but if it just the intake at least it's one of the cheaper and easier repairs.

bobtsgt
11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Very true. But if its gonna happen again I may do the edelbrock one and call it a day

Gearhead
11-12-2009, 09:51 AM

You need this:

cstreu1026
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Very true. But if its gonna happen again I may do the edelbrock one and call it a day

you should have kept the reichard intake.

bobtsgt
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
You need this:
I wish I could but that is way out of the budget right now :(

you should have kept the reichard intake.

yeah yeah I know that now. Probably won't stumble across another one for the price I paid.

Going to pull the intake in a little bit and see where that piece of plastic goes. If its what I'm thinking I believe its from the 2nd or 3rd runner. Probably will throw another PI one on there for now. Just got to find one.

bobtsgt
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
big ole hole in number 1 runner. well whats left of number 1 runner. will get some pics after the camera charges. thanks 01cobra and blackout for the insight.

cstreu1026
11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
well that sucks. I thought you were only suppose to blow the intake to bits with nitrous. :)

bobtsgt
11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
apparently they don't like boost spikes either :lol:

bobtsgt
11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Here's the runner. Or whats left.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/bobtsgt/100_0948.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/bobtsgt/100_0949.jpg

how do you know when you own a mustang or two...... when you open the garage and see them on stands :lol:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/bobtsgt/100_0950.jpg

Pops Fun
11-13-2009, 06:31 AM
That sucks

bobtsgt
11-13-2009, 07:18 AM
yeah but it could have been worse. gonna try to get one on tonight if I can find one and be at the track tomorrow.

Blackout
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
those intakes are knows to go bad. They sell the PI intakes at Jegs also. Or you can invest in some JB WELD. lol

JIMS SVT
11-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Or you can invest in some JB WELD. lol

Dont give him any ideas.

rush88GT
11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
The car was fixed last night. Bob made some passes today at Tri-State.

Blackout
11-14-2009, 09:58 PM
good deal. glad he got it fixed.

bobtsgt
11-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Dont give him any ideas.

don't worry Jimmy I can plastic weld now :bigthumb just as good as my MIG work :lol:

quik lx
11-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Well? did it go any faster?

bobtsgt
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
nope. turns out the alternator is only putting out 12.8-13.1V at WOT in the higher RPM band. Not giving the pump what it needs to work right. Probably gonna run a bigger wire to the fuse box and see what that does. Going to have to get a larger alternator most likely and upgrade the wiring a little. The hessitation went from a couple of little spurts to one spurt now :D

highball69
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
If i were u i would pull the intake, my guess is that when your boost spiked it probably blew the intake gasket and causing your leak.

Foxxx5oh
12-01-2009, 07:52 AM
hey highball, if you look a few posts up, you will see that not only is this an old thread, but that he blew a hole through his intake and that it was fixed and he's had it to the track since then...