Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Up to 75 Percent of US Youth Ineligible for Military Service [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Up to 75 Percent of US Youth Ineligible for Military Service

Katmandu
11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/usmilitary/a/unabletoserve.htm

Lack of Education, Physical Problems Disqualify Most

By Robert Longley, About.com

Nov 7 2009

About 75 percent of America's 17- to 24-year-olds are ineligible for military service due to lack of education, obesity and other physical problems, or criminal history, according to a report issued by the Mission: Readiness group.

Just Not Smart Enough

In its report Ready, Willing and Unable to Serve, Mission: Readiness - a group of retired military and civilian-military leaders - found that one in four young people between 17 and 24 does not have a high school diploma. About 30 percent of those who do, states the report, still fail the Armed Forces Qualification Test, the entrance test required to join the US military. Another one in ten young people cannot serve because of past convictions for felonies or serious misdemeanors, states the report.

Obesity and Other Health Problems Wash Many Out

A full 27 percent of young Americans are simply too overweight to join the military, says Mission: Readiness. "Many are turned away by recruiters and others never try to join. Of those who attempt to join, however, roughly 15,000 young potential recruits fail their entrance physicals every year because they are too heavy."

Nearly 32 percent have other disqualifying health problems, including asthma, eyesight or hearing problems, mental health issues, or recent treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Due to all of the above and other assorted problems, only about two out of 10 American young people are fully eligible to join the military without special waivers, according to the report.

"Imagine ten young people walking into a recruiter's office and seven of them getting turned away," said former Under Secretary of the Army Joe Reeder in a press release. "We cannot allow today's dropout crisis to become a national security crisis."

Post-Recession Military Recruiting Goals in Jeopardy

Clearly, what worries the members of Mission: Readiness - and the Pentagon - is that faced with this ever-shrinking pool of qualified young people, the US military branches will no longer be able to meet their recruiting goals once the economy recovers and non-military jobs return.

"Once the economy begins to grow again, the challenge of finding enough high-quality recruits will return," states the report. "Unless we help more young people get on the right track today, our future military readiness will be put at risk."

"The armed services are meeting recruitment targets in 2009, but those of us who have served in command roles are worried about the trends we see," said Rear Admiral James Barnett (USN, Ret.), in a press release. "Our national security in the year 2030 is absolutely dependent on what's going on in pre-kindergarten today. We urge Congress to take action on this issue this year."

Making Them Smarter, Better, Sooner

The "action" Rear Admiral Barnett wants Congress to take is to pass the Early Learning Challenge Fund Act (H.R. 3221), which would pump over $10 billion into the slate of early education reforms proposed by the Obama administration in July of 2009.

Reacting to the report, Sec. of Education Arne Duncan said the support of the Mission: Readiness group demonstrates how important early childhood development is for the country.

"I am proud to be joining these senior retired admirals and generals who have served our nation with courage and distinction," Sec. Duncan said. "We know that investing in high quality early learning programs helps more young children enter school with the skills they need to be successful. That is why this administration has proposed a new investment in early childhood development through the Early Learning Challenge Fund."

In its report, the retired admirals and generals of Mission: Readiness cite research studies showing that children who benefit from early childhood education are significantly more likely to graduate from high school and avoid crime as adults.

"Commanders in the field have to trust that our soldiers will respect authority, work within the rules and know the difference between right and wrong," said Major General James A. Kelley (USA, Ret.). "Early learning opportunities help instill the qualities that make better citizens, better workers and better candidates for uniformed service."

Stressing that early education is about more than learning to read and count, the report states, "Young children also need to learn to share, wait their turn, follow directions, and build relationships. This is when children begin to develop a conscience -- differentiating right from wrong -- and when they start learning to stick with a task until it is completed.

99Slobra
11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Asthma here. Tried and they refused.

1_slo_92
11-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Wish I would have went but having a family now i can't stand the thought of leaving

Mista Bone
11-11-2009, 05:17 AM
I wish I would have went when I was young, but looking at my son who is 20.....I did OK.

I did wanna go into the Navy like dad served. I did make a deal with dad if I didn't have a full time job one year after HS (1985) I would sign up. Even though the economy was down I had a decent job, ended up working 60-70 hours a week.

My son is doing the exact same thing, economy is crap, he has a kick ass job at Krogers working 60-70 hours a week. I only laugh as I went thru it at his age as well as when my dad had to work those hours.

SOMhaveit
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Can't get in to the military? Just say you've converted to Islam. They'll take you in the name of diversity in a heart beat.

4EYED85GT
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Not sure how you came up with that crazy assumption, I am an Army Recruiter and Regulations determine whether you are eligible or not. The Army doesnt give a rats ass whether you are black, white, Islam, etc... What they do care is that you are legally, physically, and morally qualified. The above article is very true, about 20-30% of people actually qualify. I get walk ins all day and the first question I ask is do you have a H.S Diploma? I then usually get the reponse yeah I have a GED. The Army isnt currently accepting GED,s right now (the National Guard does). If they have a H.S Diploma, my next question is, have you ever been in any trouble with the law, and finally any medical problems. If these 3 questions are good then I put them on the ASVAB practice test to see if they would pass the actual test. It is a very interesting job to say the least but I really enjoy it! Been in the Army 12 years, only been in recruiting for 6 months ( I was detailed to do 3 years recruiting... they have to make people do it as not many volunteer to.)

wheelman707
11-12-2009, 03:01 AM
hahaha im 19 i get taped on the regular and fail but i get a consistent 300+ on the apft.. the military doesnt see obesity as just fat people you can be in shape but because your neck is to skinny but your chest is big but you can bench 325 they dont care the obesity test isnt a visual all they do is tape and see if you fit certain dimentions for your age group

1_slo_92
11-12-2009, 03:29 AM
I never understood the hs diploma>ged bit any in depth explanation on this?

SOMhaveit
11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Not sure how you came up with that crazy assumption, I am an Army Recruiter and Regulations determine whether you are eligible or not. The Army doesnt give a rats ass whether you are black, white, Islam, etc... What they do care is that you are legally, physically, and morally qualified. The above article is very true, about 20-30% of people actually qualify. I get walk ins all day and the first question I ask is do you have a H.S Diploma? I then usually get the reponse yeah I have a GED. The Army isnt currently accepting GED,s right now (the National Guard does). If they have a H.S Diploma, my next question is, have you ever been in any trouble with the law, and finally any medical problems. If these 3 questions are good then I put them on the ASVAB practice test to see if they would pass the actual test. It is a very interesting job to say the least but I really enjoy it! Been in the Army 12 years, only been in recruiting for 6 months ( I was detailed to do 3 years recruiting... they have to make people do it as not many volunteer to.)

It's a little bit tongure in cheek, but, do get a review or performance rating?

Is there not a section on your review/evaluation in which your propensity for diversity is rated?

I know very well, a high-ranknig officer currently active in the US military and has told me if the diversity rating isn't positive, the career is for all practical purposes over.

Political correctness isn't ruling the military? Have you seen the press statements of the Army representatives regarding the Fort Hood terror attack?

Have you seen the statements of classmates of the shooter regarding his activities in med school? How did he make it? Why wasn't he booted if not for political correctness and unwritten diversity requirements?

SOMhaveit
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM
It's a little bit tongure in cheek, but, do get a review or performance rating?

Is there not a section on your review/evaluation in which your propensity for diversity is rated?

I know very well, a high-ranknig officer currently active in the US military and has told me if the diversity rating isn't positive, the career is for all practical purposes over.

Political correctness isn't ruling the military? Have you seen the press statements of the Army representatives regarding the Fort Hood terror attack?

Have you seen the statements of classmates of the shooter regarding his activities in med school? How did he make it? Why wasn't he booted if not for political correctness and unwritten diversity requirements?

Please disregard this. Let me start over.

1st and foremost, thanks for your service to our country.:bigthumb

NUTTSGT
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
"Commanders in the field have to trust that our soldiers will respect authority, work within the rules and know the difference between right and wrong," said Major General James A. Kelley (USA, Ret.). "Early learning opportunities help instill the qualities that make better citizens, better workers and better candidates for uniformed service."

Stressing that early education is about more than learning to read and count, the report states, "Young children also need to learn to share, wait their turn, follow directions, and build relationships. This is when children begin to develop a conscience -- differentiating right from wrong -- and when they start learning to stick with a task until it is completed.

Putting some discipline back in school would greatly help out in this area, not only with the future military but with our society in general.

I really can't understand the drop out mentallity of students, sure you can get a GED, but it's not the same. If you were an employer, who would hire as equal canidates ? somebody with a HS diploma or a GED? (unless they have a damn good reason, parent death and have to work to support the rest of the family, not talking getting the GF pregnant) I'd take the person with the diploma, the GED holder has shown that he/she has already quit one very important thing.

1_slo_92
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Well i don't believe becoming a parent prematurly should be any different then you stepping up to the plate if your parents die. Im a high school dropout but i dropped out to work 3 jobs to put a roof over my sons head. If i could go back and do it again i would drop out once again, Hell even 20 times over i would not change the fact that i was 17 with 3 jobs to provide for my "mistake".

mustang8998
11-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Putting some discipline back in school would greatly help out in this area, not only with the future military but with our society in general.

I really can't understand the drop out mentallity of students, sure you can get a GED, but it's not the same. If you were an employer, who would hire as equal canidates ? somebody with a HS diploma or a GED? (unless they have a damn good reason, parent death and have to work to support the rest of the family, not talking getting the GF pregnant) I'd take the person with the diploma, the GED holder has shown that he/she has already quit one very important thing.

Ummm.. before you take this statement seriously, have you ever taken a GED test? It's not quite as easy, as you think.

My GF, Maggie, dropped out of school, in '79. She did the GED and went on to nursing school. She is a LPN and considering more schooling, to become a RN. Her oldest son (26), dropped out of school, as well and took the GED test. He passed. Her youngest son (21), is ADHD, graduated from High school and can hardly spell his own name. Just graduating High school, doesn't prove that you are smarter, than anyone else! ;)

Now, ask yourself, if graduating, GED, or drop-out would make a Tigger's damn, if they were to institute a draft.

Dirtyd0g
11-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Ummm.. before you take this statement seriously, have you ever taken a GED test? It's not quite as easy, as you think.

I didn't have much trouble with it however I took it when I was 15 and literally the day they expelled me I went to take the test. I got expelled for living with my grandmother but my mother had custody and they wanted money. So I went to take those tests. A couple months later they passed the law saying you have to be 18 or your graduating class had to have graduated. I seemed to fall through a few loopholes on stuff like that. Regardless the best way to take that test and do good is to be fresh from school. The longer you put it off the worse it will be. I have math on my side, but if I had to do it all over again the english and writing stuff would probably be difficult for me.
Alan

1_slo_92
11-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I took mine 3 years after being out and didn't have a problem. Im not a "stupid" person. Im a fast learner and have always had a nack for figuring out new things on my own at a rapid pace. Heck i got 3 days out of school suspension for doing my algebra test in my head w out working the problem out and they said i had to have cheated so i was out for 3 days because noone believed me.

04 Venom
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=SOMhaveit;519627]

Bullshit

mustang8998
11-14-2009, 11:40 PM
I didn't have much trouble with it however I took it when I was 15 and literally the day they expelled me I went to take the test. I got expelled for living with my grandmother but my mother had custody and they wanted money. So I went to take those tests. A couple months later they passed the law saying you have to be 18 or your graduating class had to have graduated. I seemed to fall through a few loopholes on stuff like that. Regardless the best way to take that test and do good is to be fresh from school. The longer you put it off the worse it will be. I have math on my side, but if I had to do it all over again the english and writing stuff would probably be difficult for me.
Alan

Really? I would have never guessed! :tongue2:

I took mine 3 years after being out and didn't have a problem. Im not a "stupid" person. Im a fast learner and have always had a nack for figuring out new things on my own at a rapid pace. Heck i got 3 days out of school suspension for doing my algebra test in my head w out working the problem out and they said i had to have cheated so i was out for 3 days because noone believed me.

See, you just proved my point. If you were a dummy, then it would be hard. But, you seem like a pretty smart guy, so it was easy. My whole point, was that there are people, who graduate from High school, who couldn't pass a GED, if they knew all the answers!

[QUOTE=SOMhaveit;519627]

Bullshit

Other than the screwed-up quote, I agree! :bigthumb

Lexstang
11-19-2009, 06:31 PM
I think the ged thing is kindof crazy. If you are homeschooled you couldn't serve even though they may be as qualified as someone who coasts through school.

mean5.0
11-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I was homeschooled and had to take the ged. I went through all the schooling, it just wasnt accredited by the state. I hate the fact that people look down on me because i have a ged instead of a high school diploma.

TurboNG
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Kid don't finish HS then to bad. Although i blaime the parents. Less comp. when job hunting that's all.

1_slo_92
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
haha never hurt me now having a ged and getting a job. Never looked at when we laid off either. Ive never been on the chopping block at any job because of my education. Hell the day i had my interview i was there with 3 people that had their hs diploma's and since i was more qualified i got the job. All it takes is the willingness to learn and to show that you will work hard to prove yourself and your in.

TurboNG
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
But as for joining the Military, we have had record numbers of people joining the armed services because of the economy and unemployment. Recruiters are more picky now because we have more to chose from. (weed out the trash before they join) If there would be a draft then it would be just that, "can't pass test? fine here is a gun start walking, stop when we say and shot, and start walking again! Welcome to infantry" LOL
:AR15::drunk::dummy::AR15:

MustangChuck
11-21-2009, 08:55 AM
But as for joining the Military, we have had record numbers of people joining the armed services because of the economy and unemployment. Recruiters are more picky now because we have more to chose from. (weed out the trash before they join) If there would be a draft then it would be just that, "can't pass test? fine here is a gun start walking, stop when we say and shot, and start walking again! Welcome to infantry" LOL
:AR15::drunk::dummy::AR15:

Not necessarily, man. It's more so the logistics of getting people in. Believe it or not, some jobs are full up. The recruiters have met their quotas and then some. The problem now is that they cant put people in as fast as they are showing up to the recruiter's office. There is an incredible amount of planning/paperwork that needs to be done for each individual person that wants to join the army and they are likely getting bogged down with all the applicants. That, and the fact that some jobs have very few or zero openings can complicate matters even more.

Katmandu
11-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Not necessarily, man. It's more so the logistics of getting people in. Believe it or not, some jobs are full up. The recruiters have met their quotas and then some. The problem now is that they cant put people in as fast as they are showing up to the recruiter's office. Yea, well BELIEVE THIS OR NOT !!

I just read the other day that the USAF is ACTUALLY going to get rid of 3,400 Officer's and Airmen !! :eek:

They say retention is at an all time high and some positions are no longer needed!

I'll look back and see if I can find that article...

Katmandu
11-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Yea, well BELIEVE THIS OR NOT !!

I just read the other day that the USAF is ACTUALLY going to get rid of 3,400 Officer's and Airmen !! :eek:

They say retention is at an all time high and some positions are no longer needed!

I'll look back and see if I can find that article...Just found that article.

It was posted in the Stars and Stripes magazine.

AF to Jettison 3,700 Airmen

November 17, 2009
Stars and Stripes|by Jeff Schogol

The Air Force announced plans on Monday to cut 3,700 Airmen, saying the mix of a poor economy and good retention has swelled its ranks beyond manageability.

The service will cut 2,074 officers and 1,633 enlisted Airmen through “voluntary and involuntary early separation and retirement programs,” an Air Force news release said.

The reduction process to last into the next fiscal year, according to the release.

The Air Force has been fluctuating between growing and contracting in recent years.

A few years ago, the Air Force cut Airmen to draw down to 316,000 in order to free up money for more aircraft, such as the F-22.

But Defense Secretary Robert Gates halted the personnel cuts after he fired the Air Force top civilian and military leadership in 2008.

The service then decided it needed to grow to 330,000 because it needed Airmen in areas such as the nuclear mission and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. As recently as January, the Air Force was seeking to bolster its officer corps by calling on retired or separated officers up to 60 years old.