Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dish or Direct TV? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dish or Direct TV?

RACEME
10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Which one is the best to get? I have been doing alot of looking and it seems like a pretty big pissing match.

k062693w
10-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I have had both and I personally liked Dish much better ... But I'm sure you will hear Direct is better also ...
Do you have any friends that have one or the other that you could check out and come to your own conclusion ???

bascom123
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
it seems to come down to the sports package for many. but i think it really depends on your personal preference. i prefer directtv's interface over dish, dont care too much about sports, i am more of a movie buff.

RACEME
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
It seems that both seem to have people pissed off at them, but Direct seems to have more. That also could be that they have more subscribers and the percentage of ticked off people is the same. I am dropping my home phone as we never use it. I just got verizon dsl for $19.99 a month. We are now trying to decide if we want satalite over our current cable stuff.

Waffles
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm still trying to get my money back from Direct TV. This should actually be it's own rant. Basically, I got Direct TV back in November of last year. There's a two year contract. They both have that, no big deal. So, my first issue was that at one point they called and offered me this "movie pack" for $12.99. I took it, it was lame, so I called in two weeks to cancel it. They said there would be an "early cancellation fee" since I was cancelling earlier than 30 days - BUT, they could schedule the cancellation at the end of the month. So, the guy accidently deletes my entire account. He has to re-create it and it only took about 15 minutes. No big deal. He notes the account all about it. So, 2 months later they charge me something like $40 between cancelling that service and my "reconnection fee." I'm not pissed at the guy that made the mistake, but every dick head I talked to after that.

Second issue, when I moved to my new place I called and asked all the appropriate questions and ordered the move. They said on the phone that if it couldn't be installed for ANY reason they would cancel my contract. So, the guy gets out here and can't install because the place is pre-cabled and they need two cables to hook up the DVR. Turns out, that's not entirely true, there is something called a Single Wire Multi-switch which would work, the guy had in his van, and said is actually more simple to hook up - but Direct TV wouldn't allow him to install it.

The manager I talked to said she had no power over being able to have the SWM installed, but that they would obviously be releasing me from my contract since they couldn't complete the install. She transferred me to someone that would be "taking care" of me. I get someone from "Customer Retention" who basically told me "oh no, we've got you by the balls with your contract." They didn't care that they wouldn't be giving me service, but I would still have to pay the bill.

They promised the issue was taken care of and sent installers out two more times, both with the EXACT same result as the first.

Eventually, someone from the "Office of the President" called me and actually cancelled my contract. However, they took a bunch of money out of my account, WAY more than the bill but not the cancellation fee. In fact, they don't know why they took the money, but now won't give it back. I say "won't" even though they've agreed to, because they've been saying 2-3 days for over a month now. They also caused me something like 6 overdraft fees @ $32 each which they're refusing to remedy. Filed with the BBB and filed with the bank to reverse the charges but looks like I'll be stuck with the overdrafts.

Oh, also an FYI, you can't sue Direct TV. When you sign their contract there's evidently a clause about agreeing to mediate with their mediation company.

In short, I HATE Direct TV.

RACEME
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I am leaning more toward Dish. Both places have the 24 month agreements. Dish is $24.99 for the first 12 then $39.99 for the second 12. Direct TV is $29.99 for the first 12 then $55.99 for the second. DirectTV has more channels for that price, but geeze that is almost double the second year.

MWoods26
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I have had DirecTV for 4-5 years and there customer service SUCKS. I have thought about canceling several times. They are way expensive. what they dont tell you about that 55.99 plan is that HD is 9.99 more per month. DVR service is an extra 6.99 per month, and every additonal reciver for different rooms is 4.99 per month. My bill is $88.67 every month and I dont have ANY movie chanels. On top of that I had to go buy my own HD DVR from Best Buy about a year ago, No big deal, I wanted to upgrade to HD and wanted the newest model that records two shows at once and lets you watch another chanel while doing so. Anyways I notice on my bill that there is a "leased recever fee" of 4.99 When I called to question it the lady said that they still own the RECEVER I WENT TO BUST BUY AND BOUGHT!!!! If I cancel my service the want it back! I told her she was outta her fuckin mind.

PONYGRL
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
We jus cancelled our dish over the wkend because for the past yr, they have increased our bill every month... it was only like $30 and they had it all the way up to $70something at one point... after calling a million times and arguing on the phone with them, they changed it back....just to increase it again the next month, like we wouldnt notice. We will prob never use their service ever ever again and their customer svc sucked because you would be LUCKY to get someone who can speak english.... but that is everywhere nowadays. I would not recommend dish to anyone after our past experience with them..

RACEME
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Dang...you all are making me think an antenna is the way to go.

djom1cincy
10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I have direct and have had no problems with it. Any time I call customer service I get what ever it is taken care of. I have one hd dvr, a dvr, and regular receiver. Lots of channels al for around 75 bucks a month. They also have more hd channels than cable. Just about any channel I watch is hd. I'm happy with my service.

Timido
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I have Dish and Like it. Any problems I have had were taken care of to my satisfaction. If you are going to get Dish Tim let me know I can get you a discount card and I can get a couple bucks off my bill also.

Carl
10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
How amazing this thread pops up. I am going through the same dilemma. Only have one requirement when it comes to the plan I get, must have Speed Channel. Another thing I like about Dish is the fact that I can watch DVR shows from another TV with the box they have. Sooo, I am leaning towards Dish but like Tim said I have heard crap about both and good things about both. Although I do notice that Dish is not BBB registered while Direct is. Any thoughts??

SlowRS
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
we used to be with dish, but after 4 times of having a tech sent out, they couldnt stop our picture from pixalating. We switched to direct and have had no problems. It is kinda pricey. I wish TW would get out here. Hell, we pay 55 for home phone, and about 75 for direct, and we cant get hi speed internet where I live. if I could get all 3 for 100 a month I would be in heaven.

Carl
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I have Time Warner now...I mean Windjammer... I hate paying those pricks over $100 a month for high speed and digital DVR cable.

Another question for those that use Dish, what do you do for internet?

Waffles
10-14-2009, 12:12 AM
If you have Direct TV, this is the number you need. It's unpublished and customer service will tell you it doesn't exist.

888-237-8327

That's to the Office of the President.

They're not "customer service" reps per se, but they can take care of a lot more things. They're there to field calls made to the president of the company and have a lot more power to resolve issues. They all report directly to the president and seem to have actual customer service in mind.

They were able to get my contract cancelled where no one else could. I did get at least part of my money back it looks like too. Still waiting on a resolution to the NSF fees they caused.

cobraman302
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I myself have had both Dish And DirectTV and cannot stand DirectTV anymore with the signal going out in every rain storm. I scheduled to cancel my service and an switching to cable on the 16th. $104 a month for 2 tv's, one with HD DVR and high speed internet. Saving me over $40 a month from what I have now. Cincinnati Bell internet is $55 a month!

Waffles
10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
HA! That's so true! The funny thing is, when I signed up for Direct TV they guaranteed the signal through storms, snow, etc. I was like, "How can you do that?" They said they'd send someout out to fix the problem, which takes scheduling an appointment. What? "Well sir, the picture looks fine now..." Yeah well, the cloud moved, duh. lol I haven't had TV in 2 months now. Other than missing UFC stuff, I'm just fine without it.

RACEME
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Holeshot hooked me up with a $30 discount to go with dish. We were paying $110 locally for phone, Internet (dsl), and cable. We have ditched out home phone, and added Verizon dsl for $19.99 a month, and dish for $25 a month. So far so good.

NUTTSGT
10-14-2009, 06:05 PM
My parents have been talking aboput getting Dish or Direct. I'm going to pass this info on to them.

gtbadboy
10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
If you are going to go with DishNet you con get it from me at

www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=301984

RACEME
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
If you are going to go with DishNet you con get it from me at

www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=301984 (http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=301984)

Sorry, I already signed up with them. If I would have know, then I would have gone thru you. I try to support the members here anytime I can.

thecollector
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
plus one on the sketchy signal on rainy days. I had 3 shows last week not get recorded at all and one show cut off in the last 8 minutes(you know the only part realy worth watching).

holeshot
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Holeshot hooked me up with a $30 discount to go with dish. We were paying $110 locally for phone, Internet (dsl), and cable. We have ditched out home phone, and added Verizon dsl for $19.99 a month, and dish for $25 a month. So far so good.

Tim, hopefully the rep told you, but you will also get free activation (a $99 value) and Free HBO and Showtime for 3 months. (Just make sure at the end of the 3 months you cancel them if you dont want them, because they will start billing you)

Also, if you sign up for paperless billing, Dish will give you 4 channels of Cinemax for 12 months for 1 cent! I have my bill automatically deducted from my checking each month and I dont even have to think about it.

Carl
10-15-2009, 08:59 PM
If I sign up online and get a 24 month contract they waive the install price too. What kinda deal can I add on to that holeshot?

RACEME
10-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Tim, hopefully the rep told you, but you will also get free activation (a $99 value) and Free HBO and Showtime for 3 months. (Just make sure at the end of the 3 months you cancel them if you dont want them, because they will start billing you)

Also, if you sign up for paperless billing, Dish will give you 4 channels of Cinemax for 12 months for 1 cent! I have my bill automatically deducted from my checking each month and I dont even have to think about it.

I did get all that, but I had to call in. I tried to sign up on line, but it had something happen when I hit the final pay button. It took all the free stuff away and tried to charge me like $230. I called in and once I got to talk to someone who spoke english, they took care of it.

holeshot
10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
I did get all that, but I had to call in. I tried to sign up on line, but it had something happen when I hit the final pay button. It took all the free stuff away and tried to charge me like $230. I called in and once I got to talk to someone who spoke english, they took care of it.

Sweet! Yeah, it is kind of a pain in the ass when you get a rep that cant speak English.