Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
83 Tbird engine combo [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 83 Tbird engine combo

94tchikinv8
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I recently bought an 83 Tbird that is basically going to be a junkyard budget project. It has a 5.0 v8 with the throttle body fuel injection. I've dabbled in modifying other engines, mainly the 4.6 sohc in my 94 Tbird (which has been replaced with an 02 explorer engine with comp 262 cams), but this will be the first pushrod small block I've really tinkered with. I've been trying to find deals on newer/better parts and have been trying to research a little bit.

So far, I've picked up a set of E7 heads for $25 than I plan on porting out. I've already read a great deal of info on the diy porting website. I plan on at least doing a basic bowl and runner cleanup on these. They will probably keep the stock valves for now.

My buddy Jake (pegasus) gave me a performer 289 intake. I'll now be looking for a carb. I'm thinking somewhere around 600-650 cfm should suffice for this mild of a build, am I wrong? Is it difficult to modify a carb to work with the aod kick-down linkage?

Next up is a camshaft. I'm not terribly sure what specs to go with here, or how much lift and duration I should be able to run with the stock bottom end and E7s. I know I shouldn't go too crazy here because it probably won't make good power over 5000-5500 rpm with this mild/stock part build. What kind of pistons are in a stock 83? Cast, hyper, forged? Flat-top, dish, fly-cuts?

Ignition system: This is probably what I'm most unsure about besides the cam. I've noticed the ignition module under the hood said duraspark II, but apparently there have been many iterations of the duraspark system over the years. I've tried to find and read as many cfi to carb swap articles as I could, but this part still leaves me with questions. Apparently the stock dizzy won't allow timing adjustment? Is there another stock dizzy to use? Remember the budget is cheap or free. Can the stock ignition module and coil still be used? Is there anything else I should know about this?

Alternately, I know it wouldn't be ideal, but as a temporary set-up until I could afford new ignition components, could I use the stock ignition and computer? What I have in mind is leaving the ignition system intact and wiring resistors into the fuel injector wiring and 02 harness to simulate the proper parameters for the injectors and 02 sensor. I would think that should satisfy the simplistic ecu and allow the ignition system to work.

Thanks.

-Rob