Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Insuarnce question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Insuarnce question

1_slo_92
10-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Is there anyway to not carry insurance on a vehicle that is not being driven? Lets say for example I buy a car and get it in my name and tag it. Then i tear it down and I get pulled on a "random" insurance check can i get away with it if I can prove it was not driven?

Mista Bone
10-07-2009, 12:42 AM
If it has tags on it, it must be insured.

Now the question is does it have to be state min. or just carry a light policy as it's being stored.....ask your agent.

1_slo_92
10-07-2009, 02:02 AM
ok thought so. i might put it in the wifes name and just not tag it till its ready.

Blackpony
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I have state farm and in the winter months my mustang stays in the garage so roughly in november i put a freeze on my insurance then pick it back up in march. I have been doing this for years without any problems

Markcore
10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
I have state farm and in the winter months my mustang stays in the garage so roughly in november i put a freeze on my insurance then pick it back up in march. I have been doing this for years without any problems

Same here! :bigthumb State Farm FTW!!

NUTTSGT
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I keep storage on mine during the winter. If I ever get checked by the state onit, I'm going to send them proof of insurance and pics of the car in an undriveable state.

This is the reason I think the state needs an "enthusiast" plate. A 6 month plate good only from April til Sept, would cost half of normal registration and only require a front plate.

Triz
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Same here just comp no collision, for the winter. Covers fire and theft. As for not having insurance because you have it taken apart and undriveable may fall under a home owners pollicy. You would need to call your issurance agent.
I believe the random check from the state, my wife got one a year or so ago, is on the driver that you are insured not a specific vehicle. Someone chime in on this if they know for sure.

thecollector
10-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I used to do the comp/storage thing and never had a problem. I don't know of anyone that has ever had a problem just showing the comp coverage and explaining that the car is in storage.

I heard somewhere that they don't scan the registration database, that they only use plates recognized by camera equipment or typed by officers "fishing." But you know about how much you can trust of what you read on line...
ask your agent to be sure.

Mista Bone
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
When I was with State Farm, I had no issues dropping the insurance down on the Trans Am in the winter.

I can't wait to get back with State Farm in April 2010.

latamud
10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I keep 2 cars always covered for mine and wife's daily drivers. The other 3, most of the time they are on a storage policy, I will bump them out of storage for a day or two to drive them, then I put them back in storage. These 3 cars all have historic plates and are registered until year 2050 too. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem. I will say its less hassle to do it online. Over the phone sometimes the operator will get a little peeved when they see you're making more work for them.

65stang
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
When I had my FOX, I would switch to Comp only in the winter and park it. Never had an issue. Now I have the 65' fastback... Its only $250 a year full coverage, so I don't change it. Got to love classic cars.

Jason

bascom123
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
i do the same COMP only in winter on my 98 cobra.. and the 69 bird is insured year round it costs me 120 bucks at statefarm.. they were half the price of Haggerty.

ADaughen
10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I believe the random check from the state, my wife got one a year or so ago, is on the driver that you are insured not a specific vehicle. Someone chime in on this if they know for sure.

I got a proof of insurance request letter for one of my cars. It was addressed to the registered owner.

cobra429boss
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
If you do get a proof of insurance card like guy posted above and no matter if car is parked 10 miles off a road in a barn you have to show proof of insurance if not you will be suspended and have to carry a bond or sr bond insurance , I know its dumb but thats how they get there money