Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Tactical rifle opinions? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical rifle opinions?

306Power
10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I know everybody on here loves guns as much as I do, so Ive been thinking about getting a nice tactical rifle for Christmas. Have a few ideas in mind just wanted a few opinions. My dad has a 30-06 I use when I want so I want something else different. My main use for it would be simply target practice not hunting game. The one that sticks out the most is this Remington 308.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42070

Let me know what you all think, thanks.

Mista Bone
10-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Being "recoil sensitve" I would go for something like that in a "lighter" caliber.

30/30 and 7.62x39 is my limit at past Spring farm shoot.

306Power
10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Ive shot some 30 caliber's and there a lot of fun, I just think I want something with a little more power. Ill be using 7.62x39 when I get an AK lol. The only thing I dont like about that 308 link I posted was the barrel is only 20 inches long but in the reviews people were saying its deadly accurate surprisingly.

2Kblacksleeper
10-03-2009, 11:23 PM
The PSS 308 is a nice model. Any Sako or Tikka will have a 1in moa or better.
You can look at tacticalrifles.com if you want 1\2 moa or better.
Lot of people like Savage also.

John

DeckerEnt
10-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Remingtons are nice. You will have to fit it with an optic that will do it justice though. That may cost as much as the rifle. With the technology of barrels now a days, 20 inches is plenty unless you are looking for ultimate accuracy out over 1000 yards. Ammo is another issue. Find a good premium round that works, and then go buy as much from the same lot as you can. If you are going to reload, then work up the powder and bullit weight till you find the sweet spot for that rifle. Goodluck with it and Happy Shooting!!!!

306Power
10-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Keith I was waiting for you to chime in as I know you know your shit lol. Im not looking for anything crazy accurate around 1000 yards. More of around 500 yards.

DeckerEnt
10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Then that one will be fine. You will like the stock too. A little grippy which is good. LOL!!

306Power
10-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Great lol because that was one of the complaints with my dads 30/06 is the wood finish on the stock is a little slick.

Crucial
10-04-2009, 12:19 AM
already have my next one picked out just waiting on the funds

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/gsghand2.jpg

306Power
10-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Daaaaayyymmmnnnn lol thats one nice looking "pistol." Looks like its ready for some combat shown with all those add ons.

ibstrokin
10-04-2009, 03:24 AM
That 700 should be great. As mentioned earlier, you may want to consider savage w/the accutrigger also. As far as optics, I recently picked a few Tro-glo 6-24x50 w/mildot scopes on clearance from WWW.natchezss.com, they are only $60 a piece, and you can get a sunshade for an extra $6. They are not as good as a luepold, but they are great scopes for the money.

I just checked their website, and could not find them, you may want to call them if interested.

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

Walter
10-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Then that one will be fine. You will like the stock too. A little grippy which is good. LOL!!

Actually that stock is garbage. I swapped mine to an HS Precision. $320 bux but well worth it.

ibstrokin
10-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Here is a tactical rifle for you.

http://www.savagearms.com/10batsk.htm

Walter
10-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Wow, that Savage is horrible.

Black92LX
10-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I would look at the Savage as well.
While the Remington is a Fantastic Gun I don't like the trigger.
The Savage Accutrigger is quite possibly the most amazing trigger from any standard factory.
Once you have your gun sighted in properly and matched to good ammo. The key to accuracy is your breathing and trigger pull.

I have heard great things about the new Kimber LPT but have not had the chance to get my hands on one yet.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/tactical/

FN Police Rifles are quite nice as well.

My current list would go
Savage
FN
Remington/Kimber

Would need to shoot the Kimber to decide between them

04 Venom
10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Ruger 77 MK II with the synthetic stock and .308 caliber.

DeckerEnt
10-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you looked at any of the AR-15 style rifles in .308? 20 round capacity and they are getting better and better every year.

ADaughen
10-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Rem700 is the Ruger10/22 of center fires. You can spend a small fortune upgrading parts and eke the most out of the rifle.

AWIW or McMillan(sp) stocks are what our tax dollars usually buy the guys who get paid to shoot.

There is a drop-in box magazine stock adapter available for the 700 if you don't want to top load 3(?) rounds.

I have a spot reserved in my safe for a 700 in the far distant future. ;)

306Power
10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Have you looked at any of the AR-15 style rifles in .308? 20 round capacity and they are getting better and better every year.

I would love to get the AR-15 chambered in .308 or hell even in .223 but I cant seem to find any cheaper than $800-$900, but Im trying to keep it under $600.

Walter
10-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I would love to get the AR-15 chambered in .308 or hell even in .223 but I cant seem to find any cheaper than $800-$900, but Im trying to keep it under $600.

After buying a 700 sps tactical, rings, optic, bipod etc. you will be in it for over a grand anyway.

ADaughen
10-04-2009, 03:09 PM
After buying a 700 sps tactical, rings, optic, bipod etc. you will be in it for over a grand anyway.

Easily.

But don't cheap out and get the Rem 710. They are distant cousins and most parts aren't interchangeable. The 710 isn't very upgradeable either.

As for cheap ARs. You get what you pay for, for the most part. Just try and build one for $600. Stripped lower - $100, LPK - $100, A2 stock - $25, A2 grip $15, basic 16" upper - $350?? + sights + VFG + ... Oops there went $600.

Of course for $725 you can get an entry model DPMS AR, which isn't the greatest in the world, but it should last a few magazines more than the KelTec Ar15 or Carbon-15

DeckerEnt
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I spent around 900 for my Bushmaster shorty. Short handguards, carry handle full stock. I have upgraded with folding stock, rail in the carry handle, rail under handguard. forward grip, bipod, red dot sight. Wish I ordered it as a flat top. I have put thousands of rounds through it. Everything from brass case, steel case, armor peircing, and tracers. No problems what so ever. Then again i clean mine frequently.

306Power
10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I spent around 900 for my Bushmaster shorty. Short handguards, carry handle full stock. I have upgraded with folding stock, rail in the carry handle, rail under handguard. forward grip, bipod, red dot sight. Wish I ordered it as a flat top. I have put thousands of rounds through it. Everything from brass case, steel case, armor peircing, and tracers. No problems what so ever. Then again i clean mine frequently.

Im the same way with all my guns or guns I use from my dad, everytime I get back from the range I clean them. Never had a problem out of any of them.

ADaughen
10-04-2009, 08:39 PM

I got a DPMS Sportical at the peak of Obamania then picked up a used ACOG TA01. The scope and mount cost almost as much as the rifle. :eek:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3623/841/21555420082_large.jpg

I just put the MagPul MIAD grip, a single point and a YHM QD flash hider on it.

If I get a 700, I want it to end up like this:
http://www.jpowellphotography.com/photos/573247556_XC9pW-L.jpg

2Kblacksleeper
10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
How do you like the P-mags? I really like mine. I dont have the windows though.

I remember when that DPMS was less than 699. I love the ACOG, i just always end up spending the money on something else.

This last time it was a Sig Sauer SWAT rifle. It has a side folding and colliapsable stock.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=35&productid=211
I really like the gas piston design. My other AR's sit alot more now.

John

ADaughen
10-04-2009, 11:19 PM
How do you like the P-mags? I really like mine. I dont have the windows though.

I remember when that DPMS was less than 699. I love the ACOG, i just always end up spending the money on something else.

This last time it was a Sig Sauer SWAT rifle. It has a side folding and colliapsable stock.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=35&productid=211
I really like the gas piston design. My other AR's sit alot more now.

John

The original version (shown) don't drop free in this lower, but I picked up some 2nd gen with my MIAD and they work properly. More an issue with DPMS than MagPul.

You can still find the base model below $699 off and on. Most places were trying to charge closer to Colt prices for them. :eek: I got lucky with mine. I had two stripped lowers on back order for MONTHs so I went to five shops and they were all asking $950+ and this one was $729 OTD. They seem to have come back down to reasonable prices most everywhere. And if they tell you they're hard to come by go next door.

I bought the ACOG off my dad after he got laid off. I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. It was kind of a pay dad's rent, hold onto his ACOG. Fortunately, he hasn't had to do that with any of his other goodies. I'd probably be looking for another place to sleep. :lol:

I finally got my two stripped lowers I ordered a day prior to the election at the end of March. I'm thinking a 7.5" 5.7mm SBR upper on the one and I'm not sure about the other. Dad is trying to talk me into a .45, but I'm looking at a Spikes Tactical .22 system.

I need to pay off the engine repairs before I build either of those though.

2Kblacksleeper
10-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Spike make some real nice guns. My only complaint is that the day after the election he jacked his prices up to stick it to us like most other vendors.
I realize that future cost would have gone up, but not for his existing inventory.
I was all ready to do a sbr and that just kinda pissed me off. So now I am looking at other things. I'm thinking about getting a Gemtec Halo.
We will just wait and see.

John

Black92LX
10-05-2009, 09:00 AM
ARs are great. This is the one I carry everyday. I like to keep it simple. I don't like all the bells and whistles.
Simple and to the point. I run a Rock River Elite CAR A4
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/Guns/IMG_5856-1.jpg
Simple and to the point.
No optics, no rails, all that stuff just gets in the way. I keep it simple with a mid length handguard (not those short pieces of crap), hogue rubber grip, and extended charging handle.
All of those are added for a reason. 99.9% of my AR use is from cover for extended periods of time. When firing from cover you do not want your barrel to rest on the cover but your handguard. I am 6'2" 220 so it allows me to not be crammed up against cover but back enough to be comfortable if I have to sit for a couple hours. Hogue rubber grip well that's simple, it's hot your hand is gonna sweat those plastic grips get real slick, it's cold gloves grip better to the rubber, and the charging handle extension allows ease of operation with gloves on and I can also operate the charging handle with just my pinkie finger so I can function it in almost any position I may come across.

Don't get me wrong optics and little add ons are nice. But for my application they don't work.
Simple table target shooting sure but out in the field I like to keep it simple.

The best deal going right now on ARs are the Double Stars out of Winchester KY.
http://www.star15.com/

Rock River and Lewis Machine and Tool are my favorites.

But like with anything else everyone has their own opinions. For what you are wanting to do I would go with a bolt gun over an AR personally.

And yes I am highly considering a Gemtec Halo for mine as well.

TZ250
10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Ive shot some 30 caliber's and there a lot of fun, I just think I want something with a little more power. Ill be using 7.62x39 when I get an AK lol.
Try this. 2/3 more power than a .308 Winchester. Cheaper than the Savage.
.338 Lapua is a very cool cartridge!

http://tinyurl.com/mnhk4f

http://www.armalite.com/images/Medium%20Images/Rifles/30MMEDIUM350.jpg

ADaughen
10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
".338 Lapua, when you want to watch five dollar bills fly out the end of your barrel."

:lol: :lol:

ibstrokin
10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
".338 Lapua, when you want to watch five dollar bills fly out the end of your barrel."

:lol: :lol:

True, but it's sooooo cool. I want one.

93hulk
10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I just ordered one of these today in .308. Cant wait to get it home.:D

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

SVT Fan
10-09-2009, 02:41 AM
You cant go wrong with a 700. The trigger in them can be adjusted to be perfect if you know what you are doing. If you get one and want to tweak the trigger just let me know...I can help you out on that. I have a 700 varmit chambered in 22-250 and have the trigger adjusted down to 18oz. It's nice and crisp and no travel. Like Keith said don't skimp on the optics either. Good luck on the new toy!

Yknot
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Personally I think the 308 with a 20" barrel is a waste of time and money. The only thing that rifle has going for it , is it is CHEAP.

It make no sense to buy a cheap rifle then glam it up with accessories, you just end up with a bunch of junk that don't shoot. save up if you have too, but buy something of value, yes those items are expensive, but you have something once the sale is over.

ibstrokin
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
well,it shoots sub .5 moa, doesn't sound like junk to me.

93hulk
10-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Personally I think the 308 with a 20" barrel is a waste of time and money. The only thing that rifle has going for it , is it is CHEAP.

It make no sense to buy a cheap rifle then glam it up with accessories, you just end up with a bunch of junk that don't shoot. save up if you have too, but buy something of value, yes those items are expensive, but you have something once the sale is over.

Thats why I bought it. Its afforable and I can change it up Im not hurting resale. Now my Colt I wont do things to it to hurt its value. Sure there is better guns on the market but like was said sub .5 MOA it not junk.

Walter
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Please post the results of your study. We are all interested in the findings you have proven. Also fill us in on the credibility you have in reguards to this matter...

ADaughen
10-09-2009, 07:43 PM
How far are you trying to shoot with a 20" .308?

According to what I found a .308 out of a 20" barrel will pattern at 1000 yards. Others have said unless you're loading really hot rounds you aren't going to get much more FPS out of anything longer.

I'd have to check the gun pages at home to pull up the specs.

Walter
10-09-2009, 08:23 PM
How far are you trying to shoot with a 20" .308?

According to what I found a .308 out of a 20" barrel will pattern at 1000 yards. Others have said unless you're loading really hot rounds you aren't going to get much more FPS out of anything longer.

I'd have to check the gun pages at home to pull up the specs.

Exactly. shooting past 1000 warrants more juice. 300 Win mag comes to mind.

TZ250
10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I just ordered one of these today in .308. Cant wait to get it home.:D

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

Cool! I've wanted one for years. Good choice.
I also have a Remington .308, but it's a single shot.

Not so. The 20" barrel is more rigid than a longer barrel, which helps with small groups. There will be a slight loss of velocity, but I'll take accuracy over velocity any day. Also, a Remington 700 is the Mustang of the gun world. It is easy to customize and parts are readily available. The trigger is adustable from the factory. The SPS needs NOTHING to shoot well and have fun, right out of the box. The SPS is THE perfect boltaction for anyone not competing on a national level.

The 700 has been around for about 50 years. It has earned the reputation that it has. Just like the 1911, people like them for good reason.

Walter
10-10-2009, 12:29 PM
The only reason the SPS Tactical is cost effective, is the fact that it comes with a Hogue stock. If it came with an HS like the PSS or the LTR, the price would be in the 900-950 dollar range.

Take ynots opinion with a grain of salt. He does not have any facts to back up his opinions. I guarantee his shooting skills are not equal to anything he may own. If he has anything.

306Power
10-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I've been convinced from my own reading and most of all yours advice on the Remington 700 in .308, just gotta get a little cash lol. Thanks everybody.