Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Something keeps draining my battery!! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Something keeps draining my battery!!

chadomac
09-29-2009, 10:30 PM
if i start it once a day it is fine if it sits longer than a day battery dead WTF!
any suggestions i parked it in my garage closed the door with all lights out nothing on inside. :confused:

Kevin1989
09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
did you check blinker fluid and the canooter valve?

someone said on here check the sunvisor bulbs to see if they are burnt out and stuck on,

chadomac
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
did you check blinker fluid and the canooter valve?

checked that and the high speed bumper bolts along with the muffler bearings. did not put the sun visors in yet so dont know if that could be it or not.

Rick93coupe
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Are you sure it's not just a weak battery? The one I planned to use in my car will loose .5 volts over night if it's not on the Battery Tender. I have yet to deep cycle it, but you may not have that option if it's a standard wet cell battery.
If the battery checks out ok at the local parts house when they put a load on it, then you've got a voltage drop on a circuit somewhere.
A quick web search came up with these instructions.
http://www.engine-light-help.com/voltage-drop.html

sean
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
did this just start or are you just now getting around to bitching about it

chadomac
09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
did this just start or are you just now getting around to bitching about it

just now getting around to bitching about it. Sean you know this POS has gave me nothing but trouble since the day i layed eyes on it. my wife says it is a labor of love but i think not. i just am not going to let the fucker beat me :lol:

sean
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I dont know man. I guess each night putt a different fuse and see if it stops draining. If it does you will have to check whatever is on that fuse. I guess you could shut the car off and pull the key out and get a volt reader and check the fuse box for something putting out volts when its not suposed to be. I am betting its a light or radio. Do you have an amp in there? Check all the lights, glove box and hatch and everything else. Hell pull every dome, glovebox, and hatch bulb out and see if that works. First things first, get the battery tested. those are a few things I have done to find problems. Have you tried to unhook the battery and then re hook back up the next day to see if it starts? If it does I wouldnt think its the battery. Wouldnt hurt to check the alternater too when checking the battery.

chadomac
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
just bought a new battery last week same thing went through and unplugged all the door and hatch strikers so no interior lights can be on. connection sparks when hook batt up so something is on just going to have to chase it down.

RACEME
09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
You need a multimeter that can measure current draw. Connect the meter between the positive post and the positive cable. It will then show how much current amperage that is being drawing by something. Then pull one fuse at a time tile the draw drops off. That will tell you what curcuit is the problem. It could also be a short in the alternator. Unhook the alt. overnight and see if the battery is still drained.

Keep in mind that there is always a small amp draw on the battery for radio memory and such, so your meter will never show zero.

bascom123
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
glove box light, hood light, idiot lights, trunk/hatch lights, or alternator, is where i would start and any aftermarket electrical stuff "installed" you would be amazed where some people will steal voltage from.

sean
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
You need a multimeter that can measure current draw. Connect the meter between the positive post and the positive cable. It will then show how much current amperage that is being drawing by something. Then pull one fuse at a time tile the draw drops off. That will tell you what curcuit is the problem. It could also be a short in the alternator. Unhook the alt. overnight and see if the battery is still drained.

Keep in mind that there is always a small amp draw on the battery for radio memory and such, so your meter will never show zero.

Thats the way to go.

Timido
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I use a test light between the neg battery post and the cable to do the same thing.