Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
TV Repair Question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Repair Question

CNTLOSE
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I have a TV that for the last few months when first turned on the screen would go black after 30 seconds or so. It would take two or three times of turning it off then back on before it would stay on. Now it does it constantly, sometimes making it a minute or two before going black.

Any ideas??? I know it is usually cheaper to buy a new one unless it is something simple.

Katmandu
09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a TV that for the last few months when first turned on the screen would go black after 30 seconds or so. It would take two or three times of turning it off then back on before it would stay on. Now it does it constantly, sometimes making it a minute or two before going black.

Any ideas??? I know it is usually cheaper to buy a new one unless it is something simple.CRT type I presume ?

There is a capacitor (can remember the real part name) that goes bad over time and causes this. The part is probably around $20 but maybe $100 to install.

Time for a new LED TV! :bigthumb

CNTLOSE
09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
If CRT means the old crappy tube TV then yes, that is what I have. It is only 8 years old...which based on other TV's I have had does not seem that old. It is the last tube TV I have so maybe it is time to upgrade it as well.

...and I did notice Best Buy has 36 months no intrest. :D

Thanks.

Katmandu
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
it is time to upgrade it as well.

...and I did notice Best Buy has 36 months no intrest. :D

Thanks.Yup. :bigthumb

Prices on LCD TVs are falling FAST.

Check this site out....

http://www.pricewatch.com/tv/

CNTLOSE
09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Yup. :bigthumb

Prices on LCD TVs are falling FAST.

Check this site out....

http://www.pricewatch.com/tv/

That is a great site...Thanks for posting that :bigthumb

BigBadStang
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
...It is only 8 years old...which based on other TV's I have had does not seem that old...

Probably says 'Made In China' on it. The Chinese have damn near turned all consumer electronics into throw aways.

I remember the electronics that said 'Made Japan' on them, meant it was junk...hell, now that's the good stuff! :lol:

Katmandu
09-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Probably says 'Made In China' on it. The Chinese have damn near turned all consumer electronics into throw aways.
That reminds me of a time I met an Electronic Engineer that worked for Gold Star (big cheap ass electronic firm).

He told me the Techs would LITERALLY pull components OFF the Circuit boards UNTIL the TV would STOP working. They then knew when to stop pulling off components.

He said they did that to make the TVs as CHEAP to build as possible! :eek:

NO SHIT!

Aweasel
09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
if you're ever down this way see my friend john graff on beechmont. been in business for 40+ years, one of the last of their kind. the plasma/lcd market has pretty much crushed their tv repair/sales but they still do it just on a little smaller scale, plus they are big into home brewing and so half of the tv shop became a home brew supplies outlet, kinda cool. great guys. (513) 231-4643. ask him about his hotrods too

CNTLOSE
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
if you're ever down this way see my friend john graff on beechmont. been in business for 40+ years, one of the last of their kind. the plasma/lcd market has pretty much crushed their tv repair/sales but they still do it just on a little smaller scale, plus they are big into home brewing and so half of the tv shop became a home brew supplies outlet, kinda cool. great guys. (513) 231-4643. ask him about his hotrods too

I might just call them to see what they say. The little temporary TV I have now is killing me...I can barely ready the cable menu. :lol:

cobra429boss
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I might just call them to see what they say. The little temporary TV I have now is killing me...I can barely ready the cable menu. :lol:

Focus lol :lol:

FireStang02
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I work for Independence FD, we have a guy here who's wife has breast cancer and we are doing a fundraiser car wash at fire house #1 by Krogers in Independence this Sat from 10-2 We will also be selling raffle tickets for a 46" LED Samsung TV. Valued at around $3000. Now is your chance to get an upgrade at a bargain price.

CNTLOSE
09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I work for Independence FD, we have a guy here who's wife has breast cancer and we are doing a fundraiser car wash at fire house #1 by Krogers in Independence this Sat from 10-2 We will also be selling raffle tickets for a 46" LED Samsung TV. Valued at around $3000. Now is your chance to get an upgrade at a bargain price.

Im quite a distance away, but do you have website set up for the fundraiser?

FireStang02
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I dont know if they are gonna do a site. They have a flier on facebook. If anyone wants tickets you can paypal the money to me and I will mail them to you. They should have the tickets later this week, if anyone is interested I will have more details in a few days.

CNTLOSE
09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I dont know if they are gonna do a site. They have a flier on facebook. If anyone wants tickets you can paypal the money to me and I will mail them to you. They should have the tickets later this week, if anyone is interested I will have more details in a few days.

Keep me posted :bigthumb