Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Front coilover question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Front coilover question

mstine2
09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok I finally got my coupe sitting on the ground yesterday but I have a problem I was hoping somone one here has ran into before. First I will tell about my setup im running. It is a 86 coupe with a QA1 tubular k member, tubular a-arms, Strange 10 ways, d&d coilovers, and mac caster camber plates. My problem is that the front end sits about 3 inches off the ground at all times. At first I thought well the coilovers are set kinda low so I put them all the way up and it sits a little bit higher but maybe a half an inch or so. Then I set the 10 ways to stiff and that didnt change anything. I am now stumped... I am thinking that maybe I dont have the caster camber plates installed right or maybe I am missing a spacer or something for them as I bought them used from another banger. If anyone has any advice I would appriciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Black Horse
09-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Can you post up a few photos of your set-up?

You also might what to try adjusting your coil-overs with the front end jacked up a bit to take the weight off the springs (so you aren't working against the pressure).

mustangboy
09-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah pics would help alot, also what is the spring rate and length of spring are you are running and how old are the springs?

mstine2
09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I will try to get some pics up asap I know they will help alot. I adjusted the coilovers with the care jacked up that was alot easier. I am not sure of the spring rate...Would this be on the springs somewere? I bought this setup off of Kelly(89Notch) on here a few months ago so I am not sure of the age either but I do know that he had this setup on his car with no problems that I am aware of. I did notice with the car on the ground that it seems almost bottomed out though... almost like it is rigid and has no travel.

mustangboy
09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Usually the spring rate is printed on the spring. You will see something like 175-14 which is 175lbs and 14".

mstine2
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok I will try to see if I can see were that is wrote. I think the pics will be on here now I have never put them on here before so if there not bear with me. Thanks for your help guys.

MFIELD
09-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd bet you have 12" springs, try a set of 14"

mstine2
09-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Yea they look kinda short I am going to pull them out tommorow and see what the length is and if I can read ony markings on them.

mstine2
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
i am finally heading out to the garage to take these out and take a look at it. I was thinking last night and I would think that the springs that I have may not be the problem as Kelly(89 Notch) who i bought this stuff from i believe had this setup in his car which was a 351 and mine is just a 302. But either way I am taking it apart to see whats going on.

Black Horse
09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
If worse comes to worse, you can make up some spacer rings to fit between the spring and the perch. You need to make sure your shock travel is going to be right before you do anything. Sitting with no load you should not be more than half-way compressed (shock). If not you'll bottom the shock out either over heavy bumps or dips and it will tear your shocks up.

mstine2
09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Well I got on Mac's website which is who makes the caster camber plates and it says on there website that they are not for use with coilovers. I;m not sure why they say that but it does so that may be the problem. I guess I am going to need a set of them either way so I will start there. Does anybody know a good brand to pick up or ones to stay away from? Does anyone have any laying around they want to get rid of? I was thinking of running up to jegs in the morning and picking up some QA1 camber plates. Oh yea the springs were 12" long but I could not find anything on the spring rate. Thanks again for everyones help.

outlaw85
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Get some QA1 14" 130 lb. springs while your up there.

mstine2
09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Will that be a good spring for a car that is going to see mostly street use? Thanks.

NXcoupe
09-22-2009, 09:14 AM
They work fine, I have pics of my vert sitting on MAC caster camber plates with non problems. You need to use the spacers that come with the coil over kit and with the cc plates. If you need some more mac ones, I have a plastic bag sitting on the side of my tool box with some in it, you can have them if you make the drive to my shop. Just call and make sure Matt can get his hands on them before you drive up. They will work don't spend the money. Longer springs 14 inchers are the only ones that will work correctly. Use 14-150's for a mostly street fox.

cstreu1026
09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
My guess is that they say not for coil overs because of the increased load coil overs put on CC plates. I have heard a lot people say not to use aluminum plates with coil over because they will break under the strain but I have never seen one fail.

mstine2
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Mike I dont have the spacers for the cc plates so i think i will get ahold of Matt tommorow and take you up on that offer. Thanks again.