Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dads Dodge 2500 needs more ooomph! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dads Dodge 2500 needs more ooomph!

RIXXX93GT
09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
I know this isnt a Dodge based forum but there are allot of knowledgeable people on here and thought I would tap into any advice there is.

My dad has an absolutely mint 1998 Dodge 2500 5.9 liter 4x4 truck. He bought this brand new and it only has 30k miles on it, it looks and smells brand new. Heres the problem, the HP and TQ figures pretty much suck for these trucks. He has a 5th wheel camper and would love to go out west or to Florida every year for the winter time. I know a diesel is the way to go but he will never get out of this truck what its worth and he is retired and cannot afford a newer 30-40K dollar vehicle on a fixed income. Currently the truck struggles up steep inclines and gets terrible mileage. There simply isnt enough power and torque to satisfactorily pull his trailer.

Does anyone know of a tried and true combination of add ons for this type engine to help the towing capacity. The suspension is plenty good enough. I have no idea of what options may be out there. Thanks SBZ.

mustangboy
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't know anything about the Mopars but I do know Cincy Speed put a Procharger on one not too long ago. Maybe Craig can chime in on the details.

Ranger50
09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Dodge will NEVER get good mileage.

I'd do the obvious: syn fluids, air intake, full exhaust (headers/cats/catback that isn't duals), & tune up.

Now depending on how it was optioned, I'd be inclined to suffer with the horrible mileage not towing and change the front & rear gears. Also if the truck isn't offroaded, run the hardest and slickest highway tread tire on the market.

Brian

Sparky
09-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I highly doubt Mopar offers it anymore, but when that truck was new they offered a "R/T" (cam,header,and computer) package that would wake those things up. It voided the warranty so I only saw a couple people buy it. I wish chrysler would step into the 20th century with their fuel injection, let alone the 21st.

Dirtyd0g
09-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Knowing those things half the torque is proibably lost in that transmission and converter. They certainly aren't the best setup in the world.
Alan

sean
09-08-2009, 03:18 AM
sounds like maybe the best thing for owner and truck is a smaller camper if a different truck is out of the question. Dont they maks a s/c setup for this?

NUTTSGT
09-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Dodge will NEVER get good mileage.

I'd do the obvious: syn fluids, air intake, full exhaust (headers/cats/catback that isn't duals), & tune up.
Now depending on how it was optioned, I'd be inclined to suffer with the horrible mileage not towing and change the front & rear gears. Also if the truck isn't offroaded, run the hardest and slickest highway tread tire on the market.

Brian

That'd be my suggestion. Almost anything is going to have hard time pulling something like a 5th wheel uphill unless it's grossly overpowered.

thecollector
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds like he needs a set of gears. My truck has 3.90s and it pulls pretty well. Don't bother with a blower. A gear change will be the single most effective change he can do luckily its also pretty cheap. Above that I would make transmission modifications. The truck has 245hp and 345ftlb out of the box. Even though its not a coal roller it should be able to pull a load if its optioned out correctly. I have hooked 10kplus to mine and pulled it w/o problem. If that isn't satisfactory throwing boost on a gas engine to make it tow that kinda weight is kinda like pulling a pin on a hand grenade. Its not guaranteed to blow but it won't take much...