Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mac computers [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mac computers

Wolvrin704
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Anyone familiar with Mac computers? I've been considering buying a laptop and I've heard a lot of people say the Mac's are really good but I wanted some more opinions. I'm looking at getting a Mac Pro laptop for versatility. I would probably be using it for multimedia purposes as well down the road at church.

Aside from benifits vs a PC the only other issue I see is price as they cost a good chunk of money. They have 13, 15 and 17" versions. The 17 would be great but costs far too much so I'm trying to decide betweem a 13 and 15 and at what operating speed. Plus what add pns should I get.

Here are my options:

13" 2.26Ghz or 2.53Ghz
15" 2.53Ghz, 2.66Ghz or 2.8Ghz

All come with 4mb memory which can be upgraded by them to 8mb for $1K, or I checked their store I can buy 4mb memory for $200.
The hard drives vary too, from 160GB to 500GB and can be upgraded as well, the ones they come with have 5200rpm and the 15" Mac's can be upgraded to ones with 7200rpm or to solid state HD's.
Then they also have several different software packages: iWork '09, Final Cut Express 4, Aperture 2, Filemaker and Microsoft Office (I already have the student version for my PC).

I'm thinking of going with the 13" 2.53 or 15" 2.53 but I'm not for certain. My wife is also a teacher so we can get a discount I just need to find out how much it is. If its a decent discount I may go to the 15" 2.66 and I want to upgrade the HD and get some software, but adding all this stuff really cranks up the price.

So I need advice, what would be the best deal, what upgrades should I get and which software. I'm trying to keep it under $2K but would really like to get a 15". I would appreciate any advice from anyone familiar with these things. I am somewhat deficient in computer knowledge nowdays.

blue lx
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
go with mac pro its what you need and some a friend of mine does alot of producing with his great machine

cstreu1026
08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Save a little money and buy a refurbished one from Apple. They come with the same warranty as their new ones. My Macbook is a refurb and I have had zero problems with it in the 2.5 years I have owned it.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE3NjY

They are easy to upgrade and you may want to compare the cost of buying a computer with less Ram etc and upgrading. I have bought all my upgrades for our two macbooks at http://macsales.com/

satan jamez
08-27-2009, 08:26 AM
What are the pros and cons on a PC versus Mac? I never understood why someone would want a Mac, but it seems they are growing popularity so I must be missing something.

beefcake
08-27-2009, 09:03 AM
What are the pros and cons on a PC versus Mac? I never understood why someone would want a Mac, but it seems they are growing popularity so I must be missing something.

to my understanding macs are for people that do a lot of graphics work???

yes? no?

88ssp
08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes and they don't have the susceptibility for viruses that PC's do.

Black92LX
08-27-2009, 09:27 AM
to my understanding macs are for people that do a lot of graphics work???

yes? no?

amongst many other things.

User interface is much easier.

I have a couple of Macs and have used them for years.

If you are doing anything Audio/Video get a Mac. Also for anything thing video get all the RAM you can afford.

beefcake
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
if i have a lot of pc programs , photo and video programs, they won't work on a mac though right?

ya gotta start from scratch?

cstreu1026
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I can boot up my mac(s) in windows if I need to.

Wolvrin704
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I plan on doing allot of multimedia stuff within the next few years so I think the Mac is the way to go for me.

I did a little reading on the Mac and you can have a windows program as your desktop, plus they are compatible with allot of PC programs from my understanding, may need to check into a bit more. Anything with USB or bluetooth will work on a Mac as well.

We already have a Mac notebook at home that the wife got from school but its not ours and I'd like one thats newer and more powerful. It will take some time to get used to the differences in programs used, what they're called, etc.

Black92LX
08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
if i have a lot of pc programs , photo and video programs, they won't work on a mac though right?

ya gotta start from scratch?

nope. there is not a single program that can't be run on a Mac.