PDA

View Full Version : Big Block question

Stangman
08-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I know we dont have a big block section in here, so I stuck it here to get more exposure...

I have an OLD Crane Cam, that i got from a friend of mine. The part number is 35-3783 or... 3784... I cant remember at work. But, point is, Anyone know where I could find the specs on this old cam? I've googled it, but I cant come up with anything...

It's currently soaking in Evapo-rust it's soo vintage :D

Can anyone help?

mustangboy
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Call Crane, I believe they are back in business

Gearhead
08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Jesse,

I have a bunch of old Crane Cams catalogs from the 1980's, I'll look it up and see if I can find it tonight....

Scott

mustangboy
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Jesse what you really need to do is just buy a nice new lunati voodoo or comp hydro cam/lifter setup. I think in the end you will be much more happy that way plus it is only like $180 for the combo.

Stangman
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Jesse,

I have a bunch of old Crane Cams catalogs from the 1980's, I'll look it up and see if I can find it tonight....

Scott

That would be killer!

thanks Scott!

Jesse what you really need to do is just buy a nice new lunati voodoo or comp hydro cam/lifter setup. I think in the end you will be much more happy that way plus it is only like $180 for the combo.

I would... BUT... this one was free :D

And that Evapo-Rust really did some good work!

BigBadStang
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
yeah, but the newer cam profiles are so much more efficient, and easier on the valve train. That free cam could come back to bite you if you have to take it back out later.

Stangman
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
yeah, but the newer cam profiles are so much more efficient, and easier on the valve train. That free cam could come back to bite you if you have to take it back out later.

Thats true, but So far in the whole motor I have less than $475...

That includes a 460 that already has the pan and mounts, Not sure of the cam in it, could be aftermarket.. could be stock...

an Edelbrock Performer intake.. Which Kenny will see when the time comes

A set of D0VE heads I just picked up...

And this cam.

I'm on a very SMALL budget... I'll throw it together, see how it runs, run it for a while, if it goes south, I'll park it, then pull it out and rebuild it.. I know a guy with a 600-somthing lift cam and a 514 stroker kit that needs 2 rods and 2 pistons...

mustangboy
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't know if I would chance a cam. If that thing eats a lifter and wipes the cam you could have even more problems. Plus you don't know if that cam will make any vacuum or how radical it is. I think the cam is one place it would be worth spending a couple bucks to get the best reliablity and drivability. Trust me I know, I had to pull the cam I was running and swap to something milder

Gearhead
08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Jesse,

I looked for that cam part # in my Crane Catalogs but couldn't find anything. There were part #'s close to that, but nothing matching. I only have the 1987 and 1989 catalogs, so it could be prior to that.

If I were you, I would take Kenny's and BigBadStang's advice and buy a new cam and lifter kit. Today's cam's are light years ahead of cam profiles from even just 10 years ago.

Scott

Stangman
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
There was also a few other numbers on the back one of them was HP-264-2- something

1992MustangDW
08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
what exaclly are the first numbers on the cam?

Stangman
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
The first numbers are "35"

Someone told me that the 35 sounds like a number that summit puts in front when they sell parts through themselves instead of Crane selling them outright.

Mista Bone
08-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Are you sure it is a Crane Cam?

Stangman
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
It says "Crane Cams" stamped in the butt end of it

EDIT:

I just got an email back from Crane, they said that the 35-3783 number is a core number. Which means they rough finish the cam and then provide it to other cam grinders. However if it says "CRANE" on the back, that means they finished it. Mine says CRANE, so it was a Crane finished came. That HP-264 number is my key to unlocking the specs on this cam. I should find out later today or tomorrow what it is. Once I get the last digits off of my cam that I cant remember.

BigBadStang
08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
All this providing it has never been re-ground.
Regrinding cams was a big thing pre 90's.
I have a wild ass SBF roller (a real valve train abuser...lol) cam that was originally a Crane, but was reground by Lunati with much more aggressive lobe ramps.
If it's a regrind, and you don't have the cam card, you may never know what the specs are on it.

Good luck man, keep us posted.

Stangman
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Success!

I got ahold of Crane's tech support via email and supplied them with that HP-264 number, and he knew right away what it was:

This is a hydraulic lifter camshaft, having an advertised duration of 264 degrees intake, 274 degrees exhaust. Cam lobe lift is .2717” intake, .2867” exhaust. Gross valve lift is .465” intake, .490” exhaust, based on the standard 1.71:1 ratio rocker arms. Lobe separation is 112 degrees. Duration at .050” cam lift is 200 degrees intake, 210 degrees exhaust. Cam timing at .050” cam lift is: intake opens 7 degrees ATDC, intake closes 27 degrees ABDC, exhaust opens 42 degrees BBDC, exhaust closes 12 degrees ATDC. Basic power range is 1600-3800 RPM. This will have a smooth idle with excellent low end torque. It’s good for towing applications, and fuel economy.

The tech also added:

This camshaft would have been produced in the late 1970’s. This is a very mild camshaft, and may not be radical enough for your usage. A lot will depend on what compression ratio you end up with, and also your overall gearing, as too mild a camshaft can cause excessive cylinder pressures, resulting in detonation.

Mista Bone
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
If it's a regrind, and you don't have the cam card, you may never know what the specs are on it.

To a "degree" you are wrong :)

:popcorn:

If you look up Crane part numbers, 429-460 BBF start with 35xxxx, but the internet only goes back so far.

1992MustangDW
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice find jesse, but is that going to be a "big" enough cam for bruno?

mustangboy
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Jesse sounds like a good cam for a truck not your car. Just spend a couple bucks and get one that will put a smile on your face.

1992MustangDW
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Is this for the motor you got off don?

Stangman
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Nice find jesse, but is that going to be a "big" enough cam for bruno?

Probably not nearly. I may just hang onto it and stick it in my 429 that will be mostly stock for a project to be named later...

Jesse sounds like a good cam for a truck not your car. Just spend a couple bucks and get one that will put a smile on your face.

I have a feeling you are right. I should have known to listen to the "other" big block fox guy on here from now on :D

Is this for the motor you got off don?

:lol::lol:

Nooooo... that motor that came with his Fairlane was locked up soooo damn tight it was rediculous. I gave it to a buddy of mine for scrap weight... It wasnt even worth my time. Traded the c6 trans to Transman for a 289 block... lol

I picked up a 460 from Pegasus (jake) a couple months ago, it already had the pan and mounts so I think thats where I'll start

1992MustangDW
08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
sounds like you have an awesome start. I know my cousin mike that works over at 131 smyth shop put a 460 in his 88 notch. He did it on a budget and came out fairly cheap and runs awesome. If you have any qustions I would be happy to relay them.

Stangman
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Do you know if he was able to stuff it under the stock hood?

NXcoupe
08-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Probably not nearly. I may just hang onto it and stick it in my 429 that will be mostly stock for a project to be named later...

I have a feeling you are right. I should have known to listen to the "other" big block fox guy on here from now on :D

:lol::lol:

Nooooo... that motor that came with his Fairlane was locked up soooo damn tight it was rediculous. I gave it to a buddy of mine for scrap weight... It wasnt even worth my time. Traded the c6 trans to Transman for a 289 block... lol

I picked up a 460 from Pegasus (jake) a couple months ago, it already had the pan and mounts so I think thats where I'll start

Is this the one he got off me? I would def put a larger came in that engine, that thing is good for nothing but a tow rig. On that large of an engine, it wouldn't even be very good for towing, it would detonate a lot.

Stangman
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Is this the one he got off me? I would def put a larger came in that engine, that thing is good for nothing but a tow rig. On that large of an engine, it wouldn't even be very good for towing, it would detonate a lot.

Yessir, that was the engine that he had gotten off of you.

Know anything more about the history on that motor?

1992MustangDW
08-07-2009, 10:00 PM
with his air cleaner he lacked about 2 inches. If he had a smaller intake I bet it would have cleared.