Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Engine options, I could use some advice. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Engine options, I could use some advice.

2Kblacksleeper
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I've got a 95 Gt. The stock motor has 114k on her. It has a slow leak from the front and rear main seal. Like it may leak a quart in 3k miles.

I'm looking at what everyone thinks would be the best option.
I'm just looking for some more power that stock. I've got most of the suspension already done.

1. Rebuild stock motor, would have to have all machine work done along with new pistons for cam clearance. Use heads off of a 351 that would be gone through also.

2. rebuild a 351 ( i have complete motor out of a 96 f150) just do a 357 at the most.

3. Buy a 306 from a co-worker (for 350, it only has 4k on rebuild.) that already has alot of machineing done to it. I would have it gone through with new bearings and seals, ets. Put the heads off of the 351 on it. They would be gone through by rebuilder also. Guy pulled it out to put a 460 in his F150.

I plan on running the trickflow stage 2 cam. I dont want to dump a ton of money in this but i want it to be enjoyable also. My plan is to have fun with this then sell it in 2 years and pick up a used Gt500, or something similar.

would the 351 heads flow better on a 306 than the stock heads? Even if the stock heads were gone through?

Thanks for your suggestions. I figure i would ask since some of you have been down this road before and can tell me how it turns out.

John

facemelter71
08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
351 heads are the same as the 302 heads,just with bigger bolt holes.Unless there like the D8OE heads or some thing.But since its a 96,those are just the same heads as a 302.
Build the 351 since it will hold a lot more power than the 302 will.
Or the 306 would fit right in there with no swapping needed.No extra pullies or aftermarket pieces to make it fit.Also with the 351 you would need a larger hood.

2Kblacksleeper
08-03-2009, 02:50 PM
That kinda sucks. I was hoping the 351 heads were a little bigger. I know the 306 would go right in and that is great. No other stuff to buy. I could even recoupe some of the money by selling the 351 and the swap pan i already have.

Do you know if flat tops with the standard valve reliefs will clear the stage 2 from trick flow? I will have it verified by the builder. I just would like to know out of curosity.

The 306 i'm looking at comes with some older 58cc heads that have had a little work done to them.

Thanks Face for your info.

John

306Power
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I believe I could be wrong on this one but the Stage 2 cam puts it REALLY close on your piston to valve clearance on stock valves. I think maybe the 306 with GT-40P heads would be a good combo and had for under 1500 for everything. Just my opinion though.

cobra429boss
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
go witht the stage one trickflow for your combo

facemelter71
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
If your looking for heads,spend the cash and buy a set of AFR's or some thing.Or Trickflows,since they clear stock pistons.

2Kblacksleeper
08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I will be looking later on. I do like the AFR heads.

Did the explorers and mountaineers have the gt40 or p?

John

cobra429boss
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I will be looking later on. I do like the AFR heads.

Did the explorers and mountaineers have the gt40 or p?

John

depends what year you get i believe 97 was that last year for the gt40's.. The P heads are known to flow better

facemelter71
08-03-2009, 05:20 PM
P heads also take a specific header.Keep that in mind.

2Kblacksleeper
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
So say the 98 and 99 would just have regular 302 heads? Like the ones i have now?

John

CNTLOSE
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I would wait until you have your heads off before you decide what to do. I just built my '94 and the cylinder walls had very little to almost no wear. I replaced the oil pump and all the gaskets and seals. I put the Trick Flow Street kit w/ the stage 1 cam on and made just over 300 hp.

If I were you with the plans you have I would pull the motor and put new gaskets, seals, and a oil pump on. Get some GT40P heads, TF Stage 1 cam, and a Cobra intake along with the required other intake pieces. You will make some good power and not have a lot of money invested...especially if you plan on selling it within a few years.

331TwistedWedge
08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I would wait until you have your heads off before you decide what to do. I just built my '94 and the cylinder walls had very little to almost no wear. I replaced the oil pump and all the gaskets and seals. I put the Trick Flow Street kit w/ the stage 1 cam on and made just over 300 hp.

If I were you with the plans you have I would pull the motor and put new gaskets, seals, and a oil pump on. Get some GT40P heads, TF Stage 1 cam, and a Cobra intake along with the required other intake pieces. You will make some good power and not have a lot of money invested...especially if you plan on selling it within a few years.

you made over 300 rwhp, with the trick flow combo? ... thats more than i thought you could get out of it ... i always heard 270ish rwhp from the few people that dyno'd it ...

did you get your tune from ken at md?

CNTLOSE
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
you made over 300 rwhp, with the trick flow combo? ... thats more than i thought you could get out of it ... i always heard 270ish rwhp from the few people that dyno'd it ...

did you get your tune from ken at md?

No I took it to Performance in Beavercreek. Made 301.75 hp and 336.74 torque. Stock short block with 97k on it. Other mods 75mm BBK TB, 73mm MAC MAF, 24lb injectors, 250lph pump, pulleys, no smog, full MAC exhaust w/ dumps, and the SCT chip with the dyno tune.