PDA

View Full Version : RED RINGS OF DEATH

93LXhatch
07-25-2009, 08:42 PM
has anyone ever attempted to fix this problem on your own? my buddies xbox just did this today and he has no warranty so were gonna attempt to fix it ourselves and see what happens i guess were gonna try the towel trick first then if that doesnt work were gonna pull it apart and use the arctic thermal stuff on it and see if that works if anyone has ever done this before any advice would be greatly appreciated

2007ShelbyCobra
07-25-2009, 08:55 PM
dont know what to say....now that there is no warrenty, your kinda screwed. The towel trick just over heats it, and thought it will usually work, it wont permanantly fix it, and it f*s things up from over heating it to get the computer to reset. The artic thermal stuff? Maybe its like a little fan that you install inside the xbox, but it doesnt work for s*t. I know some people who said its crap and the game stores told me NOT to buy one. What I did was had a small fan running directly into the back of the unit to cool it. That worked, but got the internals all dusty, and in the long run screwed it up too. I dont know what the problems in your case would be. Google search how many red rings it has. By the number of red rings lit up, you can kinda tell what went wrong, and know where to start to trouble shoot. Good luck....also if you are desperate, turn it on an off a million times. It seems sometimes it will work all of the sudden, or at least it did in my case.

chadomac
07-25-2009, 11:58 PM
what the towel trick does is the sink gets a crack in the cover of the seal when you over heat it it gets hot enough to reseal the sink it will last different time periods depending on the size of the crack. the second method is the best what happens is you need to put a polly washer under the heat sink to raise it up just a hair.you can buy them at lowes just google it. the artic thermal is like a paste it you have to clean the sink off and use it to reseal it i have fixed bunches of them it cost about uhmm .79 cents. the hardest part of the repair will be taking the case apart once its apart you will have a xbrace on the bottom you need to take off .... well u can just google it if you have any questions just pm me and remember google is your friend in a time of need!!!

306Power
07-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I didnt have a warranty either with mine now, so i said screw it and towel tricked it and has been running for about a week but has froze a few times.

2007ShelbyCobra
07-26-2009, 01:24 AM
what the towel trick does is the sink gets a crack in the cover of the seal when you over heat it it gets hot enough to reseal the sink it will last different time periods depending on the size of the crack. the second method is the best what happens is you need to put a polly washer under the heat sink to raise it up just a hair.you can buy them at lowes just google it. the artic thermal is like a paste it you have to clean the sink off and use it to reseal it i have fixed bunches of them it cost about uhmm .79 cents. the hardest part of the repair will be taking the case apart once its apart you will have a xbrace on the bottom you need to take off .... well u can just google it if you have any questions just pm me and remember google is your friend in a time of need!!!

listen to him, i gave u my opinion, but he gave you facts :bigthumb

chadomac
07-26-2009, 01:47 AM
listen to him, i gave u my opinion, but he gave you facts :bigthumb
well thank you very much :bigthumb

Ohioace
07-26-2009, 02:21 AM
ive done this twice and is very easy, but not to honest i guess.........go to walmart and buy a brand new 360....exchange your old face plate ( pops right off ) and change serial numbers on back ( peel off pretty easily )....wrap it all up real nice and take it back with some kind of story like my mom was being nice and bought me another xbox the same day you bought yourself one.....like i said ive done this twice ( last time was 2 weeks ago for the 2 ring e-74 error ) the store has insurance on all their stuff and they dont care to take it back

93LXhatch
07-26-2009, 10:47 AM
thanks for all the help guys my buddy bought a kit off ebay that fixes this problem and only cost him like 4bucks just gotta wait till it gets here then it should be fixed thanks again for all the help guys

CNTLOSE
07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
You might try just sending it to Microsoft to be fixed. They told me the same thing that it was out of warranty. Told me they would call to give me an estimate on repairs. Received it back in two weeks with no money owed and the ring of death gone.

Just a thought...