Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Koenigsegg Automotive buy Saab [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Koenigsegg Automotive buy Saab

Black92LX
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31382449/ns/business-autos

No real details other than a $600 million dollar buy guaranteed by the Swedish Government.

Does this mean the Aero line could actually get some muscle behind it to play with BMW M series, Audi S line, Caddilac V series, MB AMG.

Interesting to think about.

Black Horse
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
This could very well return Saab to its sports car heritage away from the preppie car mom following....or drag Koenigsegg under.

BigB96
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Kinda off topic, but since we are talkin about imports. I read in the paper the other day that nascar has been talking to foreign car manfacturers (bmw, mb, vw, to name a few) that have assembly plants in the U.S about joining the nacar series. I myself think it would be interesting to see this happen..

nskaats
06-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Kinda off topic, but since we are talkin about imports. I read in the paper the other day that nascar has been talking to foreign car manfacturers (bmw, mb, vw, to name a few) that have assembly plants in the U.S about joining the nacar series. I myself think it would be interesting to see this happen..

I think it's a distinct possiblity. I mean NASCAR is already a complete joke, what do they have to lose?

02mingryGT
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it's a distinct possiblity. I mean NASCAR is already a complete joke, what do they have to lose?

Well apparently not you as a fan....lmao.

facemelter71
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Did you get the video of the guy sliding down the hallway there Skaats?

They can only gain beer drinkin Swed's and germans.Maybe they will add Warsteiner beer to Nascar too.LOL.

nskaats
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Well apparently not you as a fan....lmao.

You're 100% correct. I would LOVE to watch stock car racing if there was ANYTHING remotely close to a production vehicle racing. I was already less than thrilled with the direction the series was taking, but when Toyota was allowed to participate they lost me completely.

If they start using production based powertrains and chassis I would be a hardcore race fan. At the very least the manufacturer should be required to produce a V8 powered RWD vehicle to compete in the series. That would make them a little more respectable.

Andy, I'll get those vids up at some point. I'm off tomorrow so that's my best shot.

BigBadStang
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

NASCAR is looking for anyone to infuse their their series with money. Look, Toyota bought their way in. Brian France would sell his children for the right price.

02mingryGT
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
You're 100% correct. I would LOVE to watch stock car racing if there was ANYTHING remotely close to a production vehicle racing. I was already less than thrilled with the direction the series was taking, but when Toyota was allowed to participate they lost me completely.

If they start using production based powertrains and chassis I would be a hardcore race fan. At the very least the manufacturer should be required to produce a V8 powered RWD vehicle to compete in the series. That would make them a little more respectable.

They haven't done most of what you said since the 80's. All the engines have been 358's since the 70's. So you must have never been a fan....lol. Actually it's a good thing they let Toyota race otherwise it would be all Ford's soon.

The other thing is the standard you have set for Nascar no big time racing league(drag, track, road) meets. Except for Grand Am and rally and they aren't really that big here.

nskaats
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I know they haven't raced real cars for years, that's why I don't follow it. The cars in Nascar are almost as big of a joke as 95% of the spectators (you know, the people that talk about the "motor" in their car). Most of the current racing series are guilty of the same thing with the cars though, so it's not just Nascar.

I don't mind NHRA's classes so much because they don't identify most of their classes with any kind of "stock" car. Super Stock and Stock class are cool because they're based on stock cars. Pro Stock on the other hand, has gotten completely out of hand and needs the same makeover that Nascar does.

Nascar could draw a LOT more spectators if they used production based chassis and engines. Same thing applies to NHRA's Pro Stock class. This would also force manufacturers into producing vehicles that people want to buy. Granted they're on a much better path than they were in the 90s, but it can always get better. What ever happened to win on Sunday sell on Monday???? They've turned all of the cars into cookie cutters to even the playing field for the weaker competitors. FUCK an even playing field, that's racing! If your shit cant keep up with the leaders and wont sell at dealerships it's time to hire some new engineers, builders, and drivers.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

BigBadStang
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
...FUCK an even playing field, that's racing! If your shit cant keep up with the leaders and wont sell at dealerships it's time to hire some new engineers, builders, and drivers...

:yup:...like the TWENTY POUNDS of extra weight the NHRA made the Harley's start carrying! NHRA didn't give a rats ass when Suzuki was winning everything.

02mingryGT
06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
They made the COT to not only make it more competetive and safer but also reduce cost so they have enough cars for a 43 car field. It is quite obvious after seeing what has happened to CART that people aren't going to watch a race with 20 cars that only 2 have a chance of winning.

04 Venom
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31382449/ns/business-autos

No real details other than a $600 million dollar buy guaranteed by the Swedish Government.

Does this mean the Aero line could actually get some muscle behind it to play with BMW M series, Audi S line, Caddilac V series, MB AMG.

Interesting to think about.

Amazing to think that such a small company that manufactures a dozen cars a year can get the financial backing to buy Saab.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Amazing to think that such a small company that manufactures a dozen cars a year can get the financial backing to buy Saab.

Exactly what i was gonna post....a supercar manufacturer buying out a huge manufacturer (well, not HUGE but definitely bigger than a company that basically only makes one model car). It's no crazier than Penski buying Saturn i guess.

Maybe if things get bad for Ford, Jack Roush or someone badass will buy Ford :lol:

Black92LX
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Sweden's Economy is in the tank just like many others. It's their form of Stimulus as well.
Notice it was given by lenders but those lenders got a guarantee from the government it would be paid.

Plus it was purchased by a consortium with them being the leading investor.

I could be wrong but I believe Koenigsegg holds lots and lots of patents in the automotive world as well as runs many "green"/environmental initiatives that make them pretty good money.

They seem to do a lot more under the surface. Their Supercars are no their money maker.

Exactly what i was gonna post....a supercar manufacturer buying out a huge manufacturer (well, not HUGE but definitely bigger than a company that basically only makes one model car). It's no crazier than Penski buying Saturn i guess.

Maybe if things get bad for Ford, Jack Roush or someone badass will buy Ford

You do realize that Penske is a HUGE corporation far beyond racing correct.
http://www.penske.com/

Penske and Koenigsegg both do far more that what they are most known for. They have other branches of their corporation to make money in an attempt to fund their fun. Penske Racing and Koenigsegg Supercars.

04 Venom
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Sweden's Economy is in the tank just like many others. It's their form of Stimulus as well.
Notice it was given by lenders but those lenders got a guarantee from the government it would be paid.

Plus it was purchased by a consortium with them being the leading investor.

I could be wrong but I believe Koenigsegg holds lots and lots of patents in the automotive world as well as runs many "green"/environmental initiatives that make them pretty good money.

They seem to do a lot more under the surface. Their Supercars are no their money maker.

You do realize that Penske is a HUGE corporation far beyond racing correct.
http://www.penske.com/

Penske and Koenigsegg both do far more that what they are most known for. They have other branches of their corporation to make money in an attempt to fund their fun. Penske Racing and Koenigsegg Supercars.

Good point.