Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
cuttin up some cars [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cuttin up some cars

bobtsgt
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
what do most of you guys use to cut up a car to scrap it out? I got 2 cars I need to cut up since there is no title work on them. I have a sawzall and a 4 1/2" grinder with cutting blades. Don't have any torch stuff but may be able to get a hold of a set. Just seeing whats the cheapest and quickest route to dismantling these bad boys.

DeckerEnt
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I junked my vert and didn't have a title for it. They just made me sign a peice of paper and off it went. Why do you think you need to cut them up?

RACEME
05-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Some places will take them if there is no engine in them. You will have to call the place you plan to take it to and find out.

bestracing
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Nucor in Newport will take shells of cars. I've parted out two cars and thats where I too them for scrap. Got $145 out of the last shell I scraped since it was $195/ton. Now it's much less.

Paul408Notch
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
A Plasma Cutter is probably the best (or at least the most fun) tool for the job.

facemelter71
05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Sawzall FTW.

thecollector
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Hamilton scrap processing will take entire cars- no need to break down. Jones on Rt. 4 behind big lots does as well-no questions just sign a form. Otherwise plasma cutter all the way- blades and discs are too expensive. You will lose money buying stuff to cut it up with. Have fun and good luck.

thecollector
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I just got back from roundbottom recycling took 1,078 lbs of clean steel got $0.03 a lb. Stainless is only bringing $0.20/lb. Damn dirt cheap commodities and lull in manufacturing....

stangman_5
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Before doing anything crazy with all the sawing and torching talk. Does any of the cars have decent frame rails? cause I need some.

bobtsgt
05-27-2009, 08:39 PM
frame rails are rusted gone

well I made some calls. the ones without motors or titles are going to Garden Street right across the street from my company. They will take the whole cars minus motors and gas in the tank. $70 a ton. Have quite a bit of other metal to scrap so that will work for me. No need to cut them up now. As for the 79 U pull & pay said as in condition they will give around $200 for the car. Just have to load it up and take the wheels off. Now to find the damn time to do all of this....

aperacer
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
we use hydralic cutters spreaders and rams along with sawzalls... with good demo blades. air chisels and something called a petrocon torch... oxygen and gasoline..works better than an oxyacetoline(spelling) torch.. and a plasma cutter... and we carry it all on one truck...

facemelter71
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Firefighters have all the cool stuff.

Mista Bone
05-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I just got back from roundbottom recycling took 1,078 lbs of clean steel got $0.03 a lb. Stainless is only bringing $0.20/lb. Damn dirt cheap commodities and lull in manufacturing....

what is defined as clean steel? I have some gears from transmissions laying around, about 200 lbs worth. If I'm only gonna get $6 for it all I'll send it to rumpke instead!

Camaro86SHOCKER
05-28-2009, 03:21 AM
ive never had round bottom recycling refuse a whole car as long as the gas tank isnt in it.

bobtsgt
05-28-2009, 06:01 AM
we use hydralic cutters spreaders and rams along with sawzalls... with good demo blades. air chisels and something called a petrocon torch... oxygen and gasoline..works better than an oxyacetoline(spelling) torch.. and a plasma cutter... and we carry it all on one truck...

well hell. next time I got a car I need tore up I'll just bring it by the fire house and you guys can practice on it :D

NUTTSGT
05-28-2009, 07:35 AM

ha ha ha

I cut out my press plates with the petrogen torch. 3/4 steel and cut it like butter.

aperacer
05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
ha ha ha

I cut out my press plates with the petrogen torch. 3/4 steel and cut it like butter.

yes that is one sweet ass torch.... some of the guys dont like the idea of the gas tank and the oxygen sitting next to each other... or the idea of cutting with gasoline.... thats when we tell them to put their gear on the medic unit...