Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dont forget to balance your brakes [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dont forget to balance your brakes

USMCPONY
05-05-2009, 01:01 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5222908/2010-chevy-camaro-gets-mysterious-brake-weights

Crucial
05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
used to cut down brake chatter.... ive seen cars with weights on exhaust pipes too

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm no engineer, but i would think chatter could be fixed in other ways.

Crucial
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
OFFICIAL ANSWER FROM JOHN FITZPATRICK:

Some early Camaro customers noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Why not just fix the problem right and do a recall on them as soon as they hit the streets and outfit them with the newer calipers or whatever they're gonna do to the "later build" cars to fix it? I'd be kinda pissed as a buyer if i had to look at stupid wheel weights on my calipers.

Blackballed
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Why not just fix the problem right and do a recall on them as soon as they hit the streets and outfit them with the newer calipers or whatever they're gonna do to the "later build" cars to fix it? I'd be kinda pissed as a buyer if i had to look at stupid wheel weights on my calipers.

+1:screwy:

BigBadStang
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah, they could fix the brake noise when they fix the frayed starter cables.:lol:
This thing is really coming out of the gate strong :lol:...nice job GM.
All this for the paultry sum of 13+ Billion dollars. :rolleyes:

thecollector
05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
There are tons of cars on the road with counterbalances on exhausts and other components. The correct fix would have been to increase the mass of the caliper to offest the resonant vibration during braking however this late in the production run that would not have been a financially responsible alternative, and since they are now using my/our money I prefer this repair to the alternative.

I dont think it's that big of a deal, all the manufacturers have bigger notches in their belts than this. Doesn't anybody remember the first trailblazers that were built and could suffer from "catastrophic suspension failure." All of these had to be picked up with rollbacks at the customers homes.

How about ford foci recalls.... Enough said.

In the light of these issues brake weights to off-set resonant frequency noise concerns are nothing. They are tacky but I dont see a lot of customers walking around one and refusing to purchase only because of the weights.

IWRBB
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll laugh at the first one I see. "Hey buddy! Nice caliper wieghts!! Are those lead?"

BigBadStang
05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
GM only pissed away 6 BILLION this quarter...whats a few million more to fix this ugly ass car? There is no way that this problem just popped up at the last minute. They have been R&D'ing this thing for what seems like a decade. It's the only car I can recall that the day it's released, it looks outdated. GM needs to keep a tighter lid on shit.:lol:
With the government balls deep in GM and Chrysler, they will soon be forcing them to build greenie shit boxes that conform to their agenda, and there is little they will be able to do about it. If the Camaro doesn't sell well for consecutive years, the gov't will squeeze them into axing it. Think they won't? They forced out Wagoner, and until the "loans" are repaid, the feds are going to be pulling the strings.

:lol:...end rant. :)

Black Horse
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I would bet that this problem did not crop up until the true production units hit the streets. Normally the pre-production vehicles may (and usually do have) components not made from production tooling (like, perhaps the brake caliper housing). Years ago they would have never made an attempt to correct a very minor noise/vibration type issue by recalling them. With quality demands being the level they now are, everything has to be perfect. If the only problem these cars have are these, and only on the first run units, then I think the bowtie boys have done a fantastic job. We need the Camaro to have something to go beat up on at the track!

beefcake
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
our first v6 sold 5k over sticker wow!!!

Stangman
05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd expect a balls-fast car to make a little noise... Especially a Chevy! :lol:

But seriously... if you are a consumer looking for a fast, sporty car there is always some sort of noise, harshness, and vibration to occur... I mean come on... it's not a freakin Cadillac

People kill me.

BigBadStang
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Hardly "balls fast". :rolleyes:

BigBadStang
05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
our first v6 sold 5k over sticker wow!!!

That's because Chevy freaks will buy a turd if it had a bowtie on the front of it.
I see these Chevy freaks pay out the ass for absolute junk at swap meets and shows...and they really think they are getting something.

CNTLOSE
05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
You know, in 25-30 years someone with a mint early production '10 Camaro will get a small fortune for still having those weights on.

Aweasel
05-14-2009, 08:59 PM
You know, in 25-30 years someone with a mint early production '10 Camaro will get a small fortune for still having those weights on.

haha, that's exactly what I was thinking when going through the posts.

as for chevy freaks buying anything with a bowtie..meh, the big three all have a fan base like that...i'm not particularly loyal to any brand but I like the challenger r/t the most...srt is too much and no M6 lol.

e5shea
05-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I love the response from one guy on that site:
"The new Camaro has silicon sealed muffler bearings, gauranteed for 100k miles or a 10 sec ET, whichever comes first."

LMFAO