Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Combo change [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Combo change

Steves LX
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I am looking to change my combo a little. I recently put a set of AFR 185's on the car and my cam and intake are holding these heads back. I'm just not sure what to go with now. I drive the car on the street a lot and I get hung up in a lot of traffic as well. The car is a 5 speed also so lets keep that in mind as well. What I have on the bottom end is a DSS 306 Level 10 shortblock. Right now I am running a TFS Stage 1 cam with a TFS street heat intake. I also spray the car anywhere from 150-200 shot when I go to the track on test n tune nights. I am running a 3.73 gear. The rest of the stuff is in my signature. I was thinking about going with a TFS stage 2 cam because they are decently priced but not sure what intake to go with. I really want to get away from the long runners on the trick flow intakes because of the nitrous. Any help on this would be appreciated.

soslow
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
xtreme energy cam 273 and a victor 5.0 intake

12seclx
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
N-91 cam, spyder intake..... :cool1:

just kiddin... I would get on the Corral and look at the list of the fastest 50 stock shortblock N/A cars... see what they're using...

please hold.......

Ok, one guy is going 11.32 @ 124 w/ afr 165's, fti cam, and Edel. RPM 2 int.
(no weight listed)

another guy... 11.47 @ 117 w/ afr 165's, fti cam, and rpm int., 3,070 weight

another guy... 11.63 @ 118 w/ ported TFS heads, N-65 cam, holley int. weighs 3,250.....

another guy... 11.77 @ 113 w/ AFR 185's, fti cam, rpm int. weighs 3,180

and some no name, liar says he went 11.86 @ 112 w/ p heads never lifted, stock cam, and explorer int, weighs 3,075.... :rolleyes:.......:D

ibstrokin
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a systemaxx upper/truck lower for sale, you may want to consider a Anderson n71 cam.

RIXXX93GT
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
rpm2 should work nicely, I think its your cam more than your intake. You may want to swap that cam out and then see how you like your intake. You should enjoy those heads!

bbfstanger
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
hi steve, we had similar combos last year,i ran the stg2 cam and felt it needed a little more than 5700-5800rpm shift point, it rev'd 6800rpm on spray,but was nosing over.
id go with the stg3 or similar grind ,if you have the p/v clearance ,with your heads.
i liked the old rpm i had worked good to 6500rpm, or get a victor.
my .02$

Steves LX
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I talked to TFS today and Greg tells me to go with a stage 2 for what I have and a track heat intake. I know cheap isn't always good but I have had pretty good luck with the TFS stuff I have. I mentioned stage 3 and both Greg and another guy there both said no. Now I know alot of guys say go with the XE274 but the cam is the same as the stage 2 and the stage 2 is half the price. Not to mention I have had comp cams screw me over twice on cams and I told them people a tear ago that they could take their crap and shove it. That comment got me my money back on the one cam. They sent me a brand new cam that looked like Billy Ray and Bobby Joe grinded in their garage over a few beers out here in Brown County. I wish I still had pictures of it. The lobes were all screwed up. I would go custom cam but after talking to a few custom grinders today I kinda got the same feeling from all of them. I need to either go N/A or nitrous. And I do both so with that being said I personally think the TFS cams work good for that and so do the Anderson cams but I think for the price you can't beat the TFS cams. Now it's just the deciding factor of do I listen to their tech staff or other people that have used them and similar combo's? But I have made up my mind that I want to go with a track heat intake.

bbfstanger
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
the stg2 did perform good for me. and for the money it was hard to beat.
i just wanted to make more power upstairs when on the bottle.
good luck im sure the 10's are just around the bend for ya.

331TwistedWedge
05-02-2009, 11:34 AM
if you want good naturally aspirated numbers, you need to spin that engine ... at least 6400-6500 rpms ... that xe274 is dyno proven with your "exact combo" (jan 09 issue of mm&ff) ... you cant argue with facts ... "listen here jack" lol ...

i would get the edelbrock rpm II - holley systemax or the trick flow "R" intake ... i think the victor 5.0 may be too much, this is what i have on a 331 ...

if you dont like comp, i would get a custom grind ... my 2 pennies ...

331TwistedWedge
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Well I talked to TFS today and Greg tells me to go with a stage 2 for what I have and a track heat intake.

i got rid of my track heat intake for the victor 5.0 ~ i gained 3 mph ...