Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Pontiac gone [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac gone

Pitbull1052
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I know we all have our Stangs and what not but still a sad day when a century old automaker is trashed.......

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042711

Blackpony
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Just like Oldsmobile

Pitbull1052
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
yea but Olds sucked at the end no cool cars no G8's nothing like that, I worked for a GM dealer at the time when Olds went we were pretty happy about it.......

Stangman
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
It's a shame. I'll admit, I like all makes/models of American cars... not just Fords/Stangs but it just goes to show, just because you like something (In this case, Pontiac) Doesnt always mean it will be there.

I'm sure one day our ponycar will come to and end as well. To me It almost looks like they are running out of design idea. Once you go "Retro" It's hard to stray from that design. I just hope the Mustang can keep up with the times like the Corvette. I think if GM would have given Pontiac a new Firebird they'd be doing alright.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
You can't be a car guy and not love the Pontiac musclecars. It's a damn shame but if this helps keep them afloat then so be it.

Pitbull1052
04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
No doubt the first car I remember from my child hood is a 70 Grand Prix my dad had it wasnt anything too special just a GP with a 400 and a hood tac but man was it cool.... lol Hopefully with guys like us our lil Pony will be here forever.....

jlt2006
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
You know, if you had a few BILLION laying around. I am sure GM would sell you all the tooling involved to build your own.

Bayman
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I think GM is just delaying the inevitable.
I heard they just received another 2 billion and now have a deadline date of 6/1
or they will just file bankruptcy, and therefore probably making all the ompany's they owe money too go bankrupt along with

It is a shame to lose Pontiac, but the rest of GM may go along with it soon.

I do wish they would have made a new designed Trans Am
It may be a good time to pick up a solstice

Anyone know when they quit making the (new version ) GTO

CNTLOSE
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
GM screwed up years ago when Chevy, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn and Buick started building and selling the same basic car. Im not talking just the platform being the same, I am talking about the whole car being the same thing. (Tahoe/Yukon - Traverse/Acadia etc...) They put a different grill, wheels, and badges on it and think it's a different car. So instead of one or two brands having high sales, they have small sales across the board. If they want to do the practice of build 3 or 4 of the same cars with different names they should get rid or one or two compainies and quit taking our tax dollars. Look at Ford / Mercury they share a few cars and platforms...but that is just two compainies. Lincoln still uses the platforms but the cars for the most part do not look like the same car rebadged.
Ford learned this years ago and so did Chrysler...remember Plymouth. Sometimes you have to cut off a hand and foot for the body to survive.

plated
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
riding in my uncles 68 firebird 25 yrs ago is what hooked me into speed 10.60 streetcar daily driven 25 yrs ago i loved that car sad day

NUTTSGT
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Sometimes you have to cut off a hand and foot for the body to survive.

True but it should have been Saturn, Hummer, and the GMC truck brand.

mailman
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I guess I can go ahead and buy a Corvette now- I have been holding off to see if a Firebird was going to materialize.

sean
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
You know I will miss pontiac, I have had some cool ones. They had potential. On the other hand I got let go in december by a chevy dealer due to budget cuts. They tried 2 or 3 times to block my unemployment saying I was let go for other reasons. I had a letter from my boss saying I was let go because of budget cuts and thats the only reason I got my unemployment. So if those sorry ass people have to go through bk... GOOD. I hope the place I was at gets shut down.
Sorry.... I am a little bitter.

Crucial
04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Anyone know when they quit making the (new version ) GTO

the newest GTO's were 2004-2006

2004's has the 350hp ls1
2005-2006 had the 400HP ls2

total production of all 3 years was 40,745

Crucial
04-28-2009, 12:13 AM

i read somewhere GM was ditching sabb, saturn, and hummer also

NaomiDstangLvr
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Sucks, I'm a Pontiac fan....

Sunfire baby! :lol: (my first car)

Walter
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Sucks, I'm a Pontiac fan....

Sunfire baby! :lol: (my first car)

My wife has a Sunfire. I call it the Scumfire. :lol:

Stangman
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Sunflower :lol:

rpppaprp
04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I work for a company that sees a lot of prototype cars get destroyed and it is not uncommon to see at least 20-25 brand new cars come into the shop for dismantling. I personally put parts away from more than a dozen G8's with the window stickers still in them. Most of them had small dents but ran very well. All but a few were rebuildable. Dont you think it would make sense to re-use the drivetrains or interiors? Thats not to mention the trailblazers, envoys, traverse, and G6 cars we get. Notice a trend ( all GM cars ). Oh and i cant forget the complete Z06 experimental car we destroyed. That was a mean SOB. We recently dismantled a 97 S10 with no vin plates and only 8600 miles on it. Now i dont know about anyone else, but i can see where a lot of money is being thrown away. We have never recieved any vehicles from any other manufacturer tha GM. As far as I am concerned, GM is just prolonging there demise.

02mingryGT
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
As far as I am concerned, GM is just prolonging there demise.

Especially if you consider the Government is going to own a 50% stake in it.

NaomiDstangLvr
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
My wife has a Sunfire. I call it the Scumfire. :lol:

I loved mine! ;)

Sunflower :lol:

:)

CNTLOSE
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM

I think they will look at selling Saturn and Hummer off. I agree GMC TK is worthless...its the same damn thing as a Chevy TK

Blackpony
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I think GM is going to see how Chrysler goes with the chapter 11 then do it themselves

BigBadStang
05-01-2009, 06:45 AM
When Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy, the CEO will step down (from advisement/pressure of gov't). It will then be run by a board. 3 appointees by Fiat, and 6 appointees by the government...does this alarm anyone else?

GM will be in a similar boat. The gov't has them by the balls and can force them to do anything they want. I forsee a shit ton of greenie shit boxes that no one wants.

Ford is looking like geniuses...so far. If they can stay solvent and not run out of cash.

02mingryGT
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
When Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy, the CEO will step down (from advisement/pressure of gov't). It will then be run by a board. 3 appointees by Fiat, and 6 appointees by the government...does this alarm anyone else?

GM will be in a similar boat. The gov't has them by the balls and can force them to do anything they want. I forsee a shit ton of greenie shit boxes that no one wants.

Ford is looking like geniuses...so far. If they can stay solvent and not run out of cash.

Oh it alarms me but don't get too alarmed or we'll intrude on others sensibilities. Chrysler is going to bankruptcy because the government tried to strong arm the banks that are holding the debt on Chrysler. Offered them something crazy like 5 cents on the dollar. The debt holders told them to go suck it. They're trying the same thing with GM's debt holders. They'll be in bankruptcy too. It's going to be real interesting to see how the judges handle these cases. I guess we'll all find out if there are still three separate branches of government.

BigBadStang
05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh it alarms me but don't get too alarmed or we'll intrude on others sensibilities. Chrysler is going to bankruptcy because the government tried to strong arm the banks that are holding the debt on Chrysler. Offered them something crazy like 5 cents on the dollar. The debt holders told them to go suck it. They're trying the same thing with GM's debt holders. They'll be in bankruptcy too. It's going to be real interesting to see how the judges handle these cases. I guess we'll all find out if there are still three separate branches of government.

Looking like they may have a fourth branch soon...

Legislative Branch
Executive Branch
Judicial Branch
Business Branch

Sweet mother of god...the gov't Eff's up damn near everything they touch.
Hey it was good to know, that they were having hearings on the BCS bowl series in Congress today...good thing to know they are keeping their collective eyes on the ball. :rolleyes: