Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
And They Wonder Why Printed Media Is Dying! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And They Wonder Why Printed Media Is Dying!

BigBadStang
04-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, fresh out of the mailbox is my latest Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords!
I decide to sit down and take a gander through the 202 pages of Mustang glory! Upon opening up the magazine, I flip through multiple pages of ads before I get to the first page of any information. I read the Editors column and see where the staff and office of the magazine is moving from Jersey to Tampa...really, do the readers actually give a shit about this? During the read of this column, Evan (editor) lists the things he likes doing in his job, and one of the last things he mentioned were the readers. Maybe it's the Sunday morning funk, but that kind of chapped my ass a little that the readers (without them/us they would not have a magazine) rank that far down on his list, but I let it go, and continued on. After trying to turn the pages and having this effing magazine constatly open automatically to the GD pages where the damn subscription cards are glued in with the toughest effing glue known to man, I flip out, and start ripping them out of the mag. After removing these, and the other 700 cards that are inserted loosely in between the pages, I calm down slightly and start over again to attempt to read the mag. After the Editor's column, I turn no less than 5 or 6 pages of ads to get to the next page with any printed information pertinent to the mag. I grind my teeth a bit, and forge on. You guessed it, more ads! GRRRRR...DAMMIT!!! (maybe I should stop after the first pot of coffee, I seem a bit keyed up over this!)

Now I find myself wondering just how much fluff and bullshit is in this magazine. I set off from page one to count how many pages are ads. I counted full page ads and added together the 1/3 page and 1/2 page ads together accordingly. Doing this, I am floored to find about 122 pages of the 202 were ads!! :eek:
I know advertisements are vital in publishing a magazine, but between the Ed's listing the readers down on his list of "enjoyments" of his job, the GD cards, and the constant flipping through PAGES, and PAGES of consecutive ads for ways to Rice out your 'Stang with everything from Lambo doors, to M3 front fenders :rolleyes:, I find myself wondering, why on earth someone would pay the cover price of $5.99 for this? I guess I can tolerate this bullshit since I only paid $20 bucks for a years subscription, but damn man...it's aggravating as hell!
I often wonder if these guys realize how fortunate they are? They get to spend other peoples money building and blowing shit up, putting free parts on their cars, get free dyno/tuning time in return for mentioning the shops name, and on and on, while the paying customer has to flip through all the bullshit ads and pick up/tear out all the cards.

Oh well...Time for another cup of coffee!

Thanks for allowing me to rant! :lol:

Walter
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Looks as if the paper and print quality went down also. Modified Mustangs really puts out a nice looking mag.

cstreu1026
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Those damn cards piss me off. The first thing I do when I get a new magazine in the mail is rip them out.

Rick93coupe
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Those are the reasons I stoped getting subscriptions 7-8 yrs ago. Now I wait till I'm at a buddies house who has already ripped out all the b/s and dealt with the frustration. lol.

2Kblacksleeper
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
How did you get it for only 20.00? i will deal with the bs for 20. Not the 37.00 or what ever they usually want.

John

Buckeye
04-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I like modified mustangs and This mag
http://www.legendaryfordmagazine.com/

BigBadStang
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
How did you get it for only 20.00? i will deal with the bs for 20. Not the 37.00 or what ever they usually want.

John

My daughter sells them every year for a school fundraiser, but I did see one of the 700 cards that fell out of the magazine (that I had to pick up off the friggin floor), had an offer for 1 year of MMFF, and 1 year of 5.0 for $29.99.

2Kblacksleeper
04-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I have to go to the store and look for the card.

Thanks,

John

may93
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I no longer get the magazine just for those reasons alone. It's full of advertisements and even the articles concerning cars usually have part of the page being used as an advertisement add. It would be curious to see how many of their current subscribers are the same as say 10 years ago. I still have the original issues back when it was project Pitbull and a few others. I wouldnt even buy the magazine now for half the price. I can get the same type of parts magazine from Summitt or Jegs for free.

BigBadStang
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I remember when it used to be over 300 pages, with about the same amount of ads it has now. They used to do "real" projects and tech, and if something sucked or wasn't as advertised, they called the company out on it...not much of that going on now, they kowtow to the companies that give them the parts that they put on their own personal cars.

k062693w
04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Sounds like someone needs a HUG !!!

Man up and deal with it pussy !!!

LMAO

BigBadStang
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey fuck you Aaron! :lol:
LMAO

I paid for it, and I'll bitch if I wanna! :lol:

k062693w
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
LMAO !!! It must be that time of the month... Do you need some Mydol or Pamprin for your Mangina ???
You are going Sunday Right ??

BigBadStang
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
It's all swollen and sore! :lol::lol:

I should be there Sunday!

zmcnutt
04-30-2009, 09:45 PM
just got my last issue of mm&ff and 5.0 mustang i wont be renewing. The two mags always have the same sh*&t in them and its usually stuff i dont care about. I got two issues one of mm&ff and then an issue of 5.0 mustang and they had the same freakin articles just different pics.

Blackpony
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I cant complain to much since i get the magazine for free from auto zone.

Sharad
05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah, MM&FF is moving to Tampa (where 5.0 & SF already is) because they are both owned by Source Interlink and 5.0/Source Interlink already has a nice facility down there. I have noticed some overlapping of the articles lately which they didn't do before. I'm not sure what the philosophical difference between the two magazines is supposed to be, but I was hoping 5.0 & SF would focus more on 5.0 Mustangs. They are actually pretty broad in their coverage of the Mustang world, but they haven't forgotten the 5.0.

I have felt that sometimes there's not super hardcore tech in 5.0, but I'll give them credit for featuring my car. My first article was very popular with the readers because putting an '89 LX in the twelves with a stock motor was considered a "budget tech" article even though that wasn't necessarily my intention. The next article will publish in the Sept 09 issue and it's a real budget buster so it might not be as popular. F1-R, Aeromotive Stealth system, MSD/PMS ignition, etc. Those parts are awful blingy on a stock 302, but the 427" SBF for the third article is almost done. We're shooting for 8s, fully streetable, hopefully on pump gas. Sure, it's been done plenty of times before, but I'm planning to actually live with the thing, so I'm hoping that's where this one will be different.

Sometimes magazine project cars don't run what they should... or they post a big number on the dyno and then you never hear from them again. I want to build a badazz street car and actually use the thing in real life. I hope that will be as exciting to other people as it is to me, but we'll see.

Both magazines have websites and message boards, and the editors actually get on them. I'd strongly recommend for anyone that has complaints/suggestions for the magazine to get on there and voice their opinions. The Editors listen!

NUTTSGT
05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I no longer get the magazine just for those reasons alone. It's full of advertisements and even the articles concerning cars usually have part of the page being used as an advertisement add. It would be curious to see how many of their current subscribers are the same as say 10 years ago. I still have the original issues back when it was project Pitbull and a few others. I wouldnt even buy the magazine now for half the price. I can get the same type of parts magazine from Summitt or Jegs for free.

Funny thing is we (myself and Mr May) have had this conversation many many times. We also wonder where the plastic wrapper went too.

I dumped my subscription a few years ago too and just get 5.0Mustang. to whom I sent a letter in a few years ago and bitched about basically the same things ( print and paper quality being one of the issues)

A few years ago at FFW, I waved to Evan as he drove down thru the True Street cars, recognizing the him from the mag. he just looked at me like who the hell was I. . . . You may not know me but I am one of your readers, atleast acknowledge me instead of staring.
The following year him and Campy where checking out somebodys motorcycle and testing driving it. hell, I thought they were there for all the Fords and racing. Huh shows you how smart I am. :dummy:

Sharad
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't and won't say anything about Evan, but Steve Turner is VERY down to earth. SUPER nice guy.