PDA

View Full Version : Ride-Along with Sheriff's Deputy

TZ250
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Recently, a Montgomery County Sheriff Deputy friend invited me on a ride-along. I jumped at the chance. I shadowed him for 6.5 hours. I learned a lot.

The day started by signing an injury waiver right away, naturally. After that, I sat in on the morning brief that all districts were listening to via radio. After that we loaded the cruiser. He surprised me by his ability to pay attention in traffic, listen to the Motorola radio, watch the computer screen, type on the computer, and tell me stories, all at the same time! I would have crashed in the first mile. We went to the Dayton jail to pickup some inmates that were doing some kind of chores for the County. I got to see the property log for the previous few days. It was full of entries for marijuana, pipes, crack and the occasional Lorcin and Hi-Point pistols. I had no idea of the amount of drugs that were captured every day. There is a lot more in circulation that is never confiscated.

I also got to watch him take photos and dust for fingerprints at a house that had been broken into. The Deputy was very kind to everyone that we encountered and he was always respectful. I know that anyone can be on there best behavior when someone is around, but I know that this guy is genuinely respectful and courteous. He was a great teacher both to me and to the lady that owned the house.

I asked him some difficult questions. One of them was "How do you determine when to let someone go with a warning or write a ticket?" The answer provoked a long conversation. The officers know what is going on. The understand that some people are in difficult situations and have had a string of bad luck. Also, they know when people are lying and know the street thug responses to their questions. Basically, they have to be good at determining character qualities. That comes with experience, but is a good quality in cops.

These few words do not do justice to the Deputy and to the Ride-Along. This is a VERY brief summary. By the time I left, I learned a new respect for law enforcement personel and the daily jobs that they perform.

It was great to see thing from 'the other side'.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
It's been my experience that contrary to popular belief most cops are very cool...it's all in how you treat them.

That said i've dealt with quite a few really rude and disrespectful ones who really need to remember the "protect and SERVE" part.

zmcnutt
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Ive done quite a few ride alongs since im hoping to start the police academy this december. Its a great experience I reccomend it to anyone that has the oppourtunity to do so. I was suprised how much goes on in the little town that I live in.

Steves LX
04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
It's been my experience that contrary to popular belief most cops are very cool...it's all in how you treat them.

That said i've dealt with quite a few really rude and disrespectful ones who really need to remember the "protect and SERVE" part.

I couldn't agree with you more. Being on the Fire Department we deal with them alot on crash scenes and what have you. For the most part they are all pretty cool and put their pants on the same way as most people do. But then just like evrywhere else there's your bunch that are absolute jackoff's that think because they haver a cruiser, badge, and gun they are god and evryone else is nobody. There's nothing more that I can stand than to see some of the state boys out East here run 80-100 MPH down 32 switching lanes with no turn signals running up on peoples asses just to get back to post 8 down towards Georgetown to shift change. But you or me can go 75 in a 60 out here or make an improper lane change and the world's comeing to an end. It doesn't happen often but I have witnessed it severa times and it burns my ass.

NUTTSGT
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
In today's society, one of there biggest jobs in being a freaking babysitter.

No disrespect to them, it's just mentality of society, people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions or trying to play stupid.

CNTLOSE
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
In today's society, one of there biggest jobs in being a freaking babysitter.

No disrespect to them, it's just mentality of society, people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions or trying to play stupid.

I agree, but it's job security!