Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
GM giving Pontiac the axe [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : GM giving Pontiac the axe

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Say goodbye to Pontiac...i guess they have to trim the fat wherever they can. It's a shame in a way but what has Pontiac put out lately that's worth a crap besides the crazy expensive G8?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090424/CARNEWS/904249981

02mingryGT
04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Pontiac was GM's third best seller last year behind Chevrolet and GMC. I can't believe their keeping Buick? It could be because the Buick is widely popular in Japan. I think it's racism. What are those poor old people going to buy know that they think is a Cadillac?

BigBadStang
04-25-2009, 08:33 AM
...What are those poor old people going to buy know that they think is a Cadillac?

:lol::lol::lol:

347sc
04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Thats old news.We knew back last year Gm was cutting them out. Same with Saturn,Hummer and Saab. We were also told about Gm cut down the number of dealerships . The one I work at is staying though.

Shame about Pontiac. The Firebird/Trans Am would have been nice to see.

Rick93coupe
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I thought GM got Saturn going, but they were essentially on their own?

Stangman
04-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I always thought Saturn started out on their own, then GM bought them?

Gene
04-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I always thought Saturn started out on their own, then GM bought them?

No, Saturn was an attempt to build a "different", import-style company that did business more like Honda or Toyota (in the late 1980s). Honestly, they did a really good job of it in the early 90s, lost the ball in the late 90s and seem to have got it back in the last few years (the Aura and Astra are both really nice cars).

Saturn is probably the only GM division that could stand on it's own as a car company. There is talk that they're going to try to sell the company to a private equity group or possibly a foreign automaker, but that remains to be seen.

mwaller5672
04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Years ago Cinergy ( now Duke ) sent us to the Saturn plant to show us how happy the people actually are. It was 2 days of class and of course a plant tour which was interesting. When they first started making the saturn they had commercials of the people at the plant waving. They really did that. When the people went there from other auto plants they couldn't return to any plant even with layoffs. They wanted a total commitment form the people.
Mike

cstreu1026
04-25-2009, 12:36 PM
No, Saturn was an attempt to build a "different", import-style company that did business more like Honda or Toyota (in the late 1980s). Honestly, they did a really good job of it in the early 90s, lost the ball in the late 90s and seem to have got it back in the last few years (the Aura and Astra are both really nice cars).

Saturn is probably the only GM division that could stand on it's own as a car company. There is talk that they're going to try to sell the company to a private equity group or possibly a foreign automaker, but that remains to be seen.

I have also heard talk that they may get out of the manufacturing business and farm all that work out to other companies. They have some really nice products out there now and I would hate to seem them go away.

ADaughen
04-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Sad thing is, I was actually looking into trading up to a Pontiac G8 from my '04 Mazda3 next year... (Ford doesn't have a sedan that tickles my fancy)

cobrajoe
04-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes Saturn was a stand alone entity, My girlfriends dad was part of the launch team when it went on-line, I helped move them down there. Then GM wanted more say in what they was doing, that in my opinion is what hurt them. Hopefully they can stand alone on their own again. A lot of support businesses went in around the Spring Hill area for that plant.

CNTLOSE
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I wonder if the G8 will be rebadged to a Chevy or GM name? Chevy could have the Camaro and GM could have the G8.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
It could very well become the next Chevelle if they actually have the balls to bring back that name...or an Impala SS or something like that.

cstreu1026
04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the G8 would be a great replacement for the current Impala.

Gene
04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I think the G8 would be a great replacement for the current Impala.

I wouldn't mind seeing it sold as a Buick with the "Gran Sport" name...and turn the GXP into a GSX.

cobrajoe
04-25-2009, 03:53 PM
It still looks like a glorified Grand Am!:rolleyes:

CNTLOSE
04-25-2009, 03:57 PM
...but its fast as hell for a four door.

cobrajoe
04-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, I'll give ya that, But for 38 thou??? I think not for me. I would rather put a Whipple or TT on a new Stang. JMO

Mista Bone
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it sold as a Buick with the "Gran Sport" name...and turn the GXP into a GSX.

Buick already has the Lacrosse Super, V8 FWD. Now if they come out with a RWD 4 Door, mom just have to buy another badass black Buick.

She won't let me drive the Super......
:mad:

ADaughen
04-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes, I'll give ya that, But for 38 thou??? I think not for me. I would rather put a Whipple or TT on a new Stang. JMO

I was just looking at the G8 GT (base V8) for ~28k before rebates, trade in, and down payment... I'd have 2x the car for ~2/3rds the car payment I was paying on the Mazda. :D

38k is only a few more than the Mustang GT Premium 'vert territory. Still too rich for my blood.

IWRBB
04-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Pontiac was the most stupid car company ever. "I know, lets make ALL of our cars look like an 1988 Grand Am, forever! Yea, that should work great!!"