Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Landscapers enter please [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Landscapers enter please

RIXXX93GT
03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Well about a year and a half ago I had to replace my main sewer line from the house to the road. Well my front yard slopes toward the street. Ever since then I cannot get grass to grow in the area dug up that is sloped more severely. I have tried sewing seed, watering, spreading straw. The rain seems to just wash the seed into the sidewalk before it can take hold real well. Of course it also washes mud into the side walk as there is nothing to slow down the runoff. What suggestions does anyone have so I can stop having pissed off joggers with muddy feet waiting at my door step every weekend. I thought the straw would be sufficient but ....hasnt worked. I realize sod may work, but would be my last choice.

jaystang44
03-26-2009, 10:08 PM
you can always try some sort of retaining wall but its not always cheap but you could use the wall to leavel out the yard

SVT Fan
03-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Post some pictures up. I might be able to help you out!

Black Horse
03-27-2009, 06:03 AM
You may have to put down some topsoil to help the grass take hold, more than likely when you dug up your line and filled in the trench the clay stayed on top. A couple of straw bales placed along the path of the runoff, especially at the sidewalk will help keep the mud and dirt off your joggers shoes.

RIXXX93GT
03-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks, that does sound logical.

nordi
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Best thing to use to sow that grass would be a slice seeder. It will put the seed in the dirt a little bit so it does not get washed off by rain. Check with a rental company close to you, that's where you can get one. Also put your grass seed in the freezer for about 1 week before you want to sow it. Take it directly from the freezer to the slice seeder and sow your grass. Just make sure to not overwater it.

Nordi

DeckerEnt
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
There is that stuff that comes in rolls too. Roll it out, water it, and it grows. It already has some fertilizer in it too and since it has that plastic mesh, it doesn't wash away. Another option before sod.
Keith

Jeff88coupe
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Yep...slit seed it with the straw mesh mat layed over it and staked in place would probably be the best method.

blown86lx
03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Then use Scotts products to keep it healthy and keep me in a job!;)

glassman
03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
You may have to put down some topsoil to help the grass take hold, more than likely when you dug up your line and filled in the trench the clay stayed on top. A couple of straw bales placed along the path of the runoff, especially at the sidewalk will help keep the mud and dirt off your joggers shoes.

There is that stuff that comes in rolls too. Roll it out, water it, and it grows. It already has some fertilizer in it too and since it has that plastic mesh, it doesn't wash away. Another option before sod.
Keith

You can also buy silt fence to contain the top soil. They make a product that looks like hydro seed they are pellets with fert mixed in. All you need to do is spred out some top soil, seed,pellets & water. If the area is large you may want to have some one hydro seed it was about .07-.09 cents a square foot when I sprayed it. Also if you have a area that has a lot of run off you could slow the water down that comes across it with the mat that kieth is talkin about They make it in straw also. You will need to hold the mat or straw blanket down.

IWRBB
03-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm a civil engineer, I deal with turf reinforcement all the time. We use what's called TRM, or a turn reinforcement mat. They are made of various materials- nylon, cotton and coconut fibers (decays over time), etc.. We spec mats from North American Green ( http://www.nagreen.com/erosion-control-products/product-application-guide.php ) and Contech ( http://www.contech-cpi.com/ess/products/erosion_control_soil_stab/240 ). You seed the ditch, then lay in the mat over the top. The grass will grow up through the mat and it will all be anchored together. You have to install it right though, that is the key. You start at the bottom, then lay it like shingles going up the hill, and you have to bury the edge up top to anchor it really well. You also have to either bury or spike the edges. It's a bit of work, but it will not erode.

shep
03-30-2009, 01:52 PM
hydroseed it....we use it on hillsides only.....we use Evans