Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Need some computer help [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some computer help

Black Horse
03-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Having a real problem with my desktop. Yesterday when it booted up, after a couple of minutes it just shut down and then rebooted. It did it several times until I shutdown all the running processes not associated with just the basics. I cleaned a bunch of stuff out and ran my AVG virus scan, Adaware, Spybot and it found nothing. Today it seemed better but after about and hour it did it again.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what it could be or what to do? I'm baffled.

I did check my "running processes" to see if anything spiked - there are a couple of programs I don't understand that are popping from time to time. Time to go through all the .exe files and see what doesnt belong.

Mista Bone
03-21-2009, 11:14 AM
You have access to a different computer?????

I can't remember the virus name, but after like 4-5 restarts it locks up the computer.

I've yet to run the nod32 program that Paul Loveless posted in my "Damn hackers" thread, but you might wanna think about running something.

mach-u or Paul to the rescue.

04 Venom
03-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a call to Mach-U is in order.

Ric54
03-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I would try running MALWAREBYTES Anti-malware in safe mode.
BTW it is free!

Then run a good registry cleaner.

mwaller5672
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know if you have a lot on it but you can spend a lot of time troubleshooting when you can blow the partition, repartition and reinstall Windows in less than an hour. I mess with computers a lot and don't charge anything if your close. The shops hate me I guess. It's a hobby. I also have some nice used computers at a real good price if you should need one.
Mike

mach_u
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
PM returned Dave. I have seen quite a few faulty power supplies do the exact same thing. Additionally it could be some spyware in the mix. I would NOT re-install Windows just because... lol I am sure it's nothing major - and if it is a bad power supply, you would have just done it for no good reason... ;)

denial
03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
power supply is bad

cobrajoe
03-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Mine's doing the same thing. Guess it's a good time as any to jump up to a bigger one. I think the current one is only a 300w.

mwaller5672
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
It depends on how much you want to screw with them. I haven't changed that many power supply's. I almost every case blowing the partitiion and reformatting works and you are sure the worm is gone. Once you get something like that it's always hard to tell if you have the worm. The software can be unpredictable. I have done this literally dozens of times and it has never failed me and the drive is clean. Reinstalling windows is easy but hey I have only been doing this since 1982. When were you born. Two people - two idea's,
Mike

mwaller5672
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I hope this is good natured jabbing. If not I will back off. Heck it doesn't make any difference as long as his computer gets fixed as cheap as it can be done and works right. The first computers I worked on by the way was the atari 1200 xl. I have had a lot of fun with computers. Since I work cheap I tell people either pay normal prices or nothing if I do it for free by reformatting.
Mike

cobrajoe
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
It depends on how much you want to screw with them. I haven't changed that many power supply's. I almost every case blowing the partitiion and reformatting works and you are sure the worm is gone. Once you get something like that it's always hard to tell if you have the worm. The software can be unpredictable. I have done this literally dozens of times and it has never failed me and the drive is clean. Reinstalling windows is easy but hey I have only been doing this since 1982. When were you born. Two people - two idea's,
Mike

I need a windows XP Pro to reinstall, You got one with a authentic key? I still should probably put in a bigger PS as I'm adding a DVD burner etc.

ADaughen
03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
power supply is bad

I'll 3rd this as the most likely issue.

If you have a spare PSU laying around, swap it out and see if it resolves your problem.

Your motherboard may be going bad, too. Although, I would expect it to stop powering on.

OR, lastly, you could have a worm/virus. Usually these just freeze the system maxing out the CPU, not shutting the system down. You could boot into safe mode and see if it still happens.

mwaller5672
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I think you guys are are ganging up on me because I'm the new guy. Kinda like knocking the books out of my hand. usually I redo the hard drives every once in a while when my family complains about there computer getting slow. I don't consider it a big deal. It's good for speed. When you install and take off after a while they all slow down. Quit laughing at me. : ) Someday you may ask me to fix your computer.: ) : ) : ).

Rick93coupe
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think anyone is laughing at you. It's hard to diagnose any thing over the computer. To most people reformatting and reinstalling is a real issue. Not to mention there are a few of us who don't have the discs we need to put everything back.
My first thought was the power supply because I had the same problem on an older computer. After adding additional cards and drives it just couldn't keep up.
Don't take it personal, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

mwaller5672
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I know and I don't take any offense at all. Thats what I was thinking myself. It could be anything we have talked about. I was trying to keep it light because no matter how good anybody is they can't diagnose it over the computer. I work in a power plant so my skin is as thick as leather and at my age starting to look like it.
Mike

Rick93coupe
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I know and I don't take any offense at all. Thats what I was thinking myself. It could be anything we have talked about. I was trying to keep it light because no matter how good anybody is they can't diagnose it over the computer. I work in a power plant so my skin is as thick as leather and at my age starting to look like it.
Mike

:bigthumb Sending you a message.

Black Horse
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the advice folks! I have a few things I want to try (like making sure its not my power strip/surge suppressor flaking out), then I'll run the thing over to AJ.

ADaughen
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Mike

But... I get paid to diagnose stuff over the computer. :eek::D

Black Horse
03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
So far, so good. Switched out the APC Surge Arrest power strip and everything powered up and stayed there. No interruptions so far. Even seemed like it ooted up faster. Keep your fingers crossed.
I need to get a good Battery Back-up system (mine fried some time ago) any recommendations?

mwaller5672
03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Thats impossible. That means we are all wrong. I think I should still reformat and mach_u should put in a power supply.

Rick93coupe
03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
:rofl: What he said!

ADaughen
03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Thats impossible. That means we are all wrong. I think I should still reformat and mach_u should put in a power supply.

Young padawan, surge protectors go bad, too. In fact, you should replace them on a regular basis.

Not getting a good, steady power input to the PSU, will cause shut down issues. Usually the systems won't boot into windows because they are designed to do a power load test at start-up.

PaulFiveOh
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Young padawan, surge protectors go bad, too. In fact, you should replace them on a regular basis.

Not getting a good, steady power input to the PSU, will cause shut down issues. Usually the systems won't boot into windows because they are designed to do a power load test at start-up.

Um. No.

I support a multi million dollar data center and let me tell you how often I "replace surge protectors".....A surge protector either works or it doesn't.

And 'systems' don't do some mystical load test at start up. They draw load at start up because they are uh...you know....starting up.

facepalm

mwaller5672
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
They can go bad and have. A lot of people that think they have surge protectors really just have a gang box. I have had computers since 83. I haven't ever hand an expensive surge protector. The only time I have been hit was through a phone line. If I was going to do anything like that I would get a whole house protector from duke.

PaulFiveOh
03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Um. No.

I support a multi million dollar data center and let me tell you how often I "replace surge protectors".....A surge protector either works or it doesn't.

And 'systems' don't do some mystical load test at start up. They draw load at start up because they are uh...you know....starting up.

facepalm

And to all, if you can't replace a PSU in a computer (literally 4 screws, and some plugs that you can't plug in wrong....) then you shouldn't try programming presets in your radio.

mwaller5672
03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
You don't work for duke do you

ADaughen
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM

facepalm

When the IBM servers I take care of, boot they spin all the fans up to 100% and all the drives. If the PSU isn't up to it, it can and will fail to boot. Once it passes, everything drops down to regular RPMs. :confused:

PaulFiveOh
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry ADaughn....You said windows boxes and i assumed end user boxes. :)
I was grumpy last night. haha sorry