Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
GM rumor? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : GM rumor?

junk89lx
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I have'nt seen the memo yet but a friend said they got a memo saying the big motor in the camaro and vette are no more.and that gm performance is no more along with all gm sponsorships in racing. says someone will be buying or has bought gm performance and will be re-named...any one else heard anything?

Mr.Moontang
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
All I have to say is...R.I.P. General!

junk89lx
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
trying to get him to send me the memo so i can post it...I hope others don't follow

Gene
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
There's no mention of it on any of the reputable car blogs (Jalopnik, Autoblog, etc). I highly doubt that something like that would be released in a memo without it hitting the blogs in seconds.

Buckeye
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
They pulled 99% of racing sponsorships awhile back and I whould not doubt them cuting out the non essentials.

dsmawd350
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
All I have to say is...R.I.P. General!

you ford guys can only hope:flipoff:

04 Venom
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
There's no mention of it on any of the reputable car blogs (Jalopnik, Autoblog, etc). I highly doubt that something like that would be released in a memo without it hitting the blogs in seconds.

I agree.

BigBadStang
03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
GM Performance disbanded.
HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/breaking-gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations/) is ONE of a thousand links. Posted on Feb 18th 2009 at 5:35PM
"all high performance projects are on indefinate hold"

sean
03-13-2009, 02:14 AM
stupid, Where is a young person wanting to buy an affordable sports car? Chevy has none. At least ford still has the mustang. I have owned a few corvetts and they were all mechanical nightmares, so the thought of getting a used z28 was not something I wanted to deal with. We are going to see a lot more ricers out there. Good gas milage and good looks. I live my mustang but my daly driver may have to be a honda. These car companies did it to themselves.

RACEME
03-13-2009, 05:20 AM
We need GM to build fun cars. If there is a lack of competition then there would be no reason to continue to improve the mustang. Remember, Henry Ford did not change the model T much at all until competition required it. He then came out with other models.

mustang8998
03-13-2009, 06:39 PM
GM Performance disbanded.
HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/breaking-gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations/) is ONE of a thousand links. Posted on Feb 18th 2009 at 5:35PM
"all high performance projects are on indefinate hold"

I don't know if that is the same thing, as GM Performance. But, what do I know, about GM. :lol:

Doesn't Dr. Meyer work at GM Performance? I'm sure someone here has stayed in contact with him.

beefcake
03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know if that is the same thing, as GM Performance. But, what do I know, about GM. :lol:

Doesn't Dr. Meyer work at GM Performance? I'm sure someone here has stayed in contact with him.

i thought he worked for gm high performance, not sure exactly what he's doing

69Cobra
03-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Him and Thom both work for GM Performance Parts or at least they did.

mustang112
03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
We need GM to build fun cars. If there is a lack of competition then there would be no reason to continue to improve the mustang. Remember, Henry Ford did not change the model T much at all until competition required it. He then came out with other models.

i agree, even tho im not a big gm fan i hate to see them go.

tmotorsports
03-13-2009, 10:22 PM
heres the other link The camaro is safe

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-safe-from-hpvo-shuttering?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_autoblog

cstreu1026
03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
According to the April issue of Motor Trend the Z/28 is on hold as it the rear drive replacement for the Cadillac STS and DTS./ Also the platform the Camaro is built on (Zeta) is in danger of going away as well. THis is partially due to tougher CAFE standards. The up-side to that is that the Camaro may continue on on a lighter rear drive platform call Alpha. Its all about money though.

Wolvrin704
03-13-2009, 11:41 PM
heres the other link The camaro is safe

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-safe-from-hpvo-shuttering?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_autoblog

I wish it weren't. My company makes the starter for it and believe me, the aluminum bracket for it is by far the most difficult thing we've ever made. I've seen some bad ones before but this one takes the cake.

Of course this all presumes GM doesn't go bankrupt and according to recent news reports their accountants don't think they can make it through 2010 and the WH also isn't looking interested in bailing them out any further.

BigBadStang
03-14-2009, 09:03 AM
If GM goes "bunkrupt", it's not like it will cease to exist. They will just be lawfully protected from creditors. It will affect the suppliers and other companies that do work for GM, as they will not be getting paid in a timely manner, and that could cause a domino effect in the supply chain for the other car makers. Long term, GM will probably come out of bankruptcy stronger than they have been in many years, it will give them the power to slash wages, and renegotiate all contracts.
I saw where Ford is going to have another buyout plan coming soon to usher out higher paid employees.

02mingryGT
03-14-2009, 09:19 AM
+2

GM isn't going anywhere. The union might though.

Ford has renegotiated their deal with the UAW that will put them in the $55 per hour range. They suspect in a few more years they will be able to get that down to the $45-$50 range that Toyota, Honda etc is in. Ford also got a good review from Wall Street analysts where as GM did not. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

STREETRODZ1
03-15-2009, 10:54 PM
GM will be fine, and the high performance side will rejuvenate, just got to wait for the piss poor economy to improve, and all will be well