Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
ever wonder what the techs do with your car? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ever wonder what the techs do with your car?

Foxxx5oh
02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2307334&posted=1

Cliff Notes:

My car was in the bodyshop after a minor fender bender. You may or may not remember, but my car has a dashcam. During the week they had it:

- Two of the techs driving it across the parking lot discussed "Would you rock this car? Do you wanna rock it?" "What if this camera is running?" "Oh. We're just joking!"

- Two other techs drove it across the lot (were supposed to move it 20', but took the long way - around the building) The driver mentioned that the clutch was like a racing clutch, then he floored up to redline in first through the parking lot. Then he said words to the effect of; "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to do this..." and from what I could make out of the conversation he was planning to dump the clutch around the corner to get an all wheel peel. As he came around the corner he backed off for an oncoming car, pulled up alongside this car and spoke with the driver (the boss?), and as they drove away again the driver talked about it being a close call. Then they drove thought he lot again at WOT and talked about the turbo having no BOV. He proved this by revving it to redline a couple times in the parking space. The passenger joked about how funny it would be if the camera was on. Driver didn't think it would be funny. (I agree with the driver - not funny)

- Bodyshop manager accidentally backed the car into a pile of empty boxes someone had stacked in the doorway. No damage = no harm/no foul.

- Same two techs took it out onto the road for a 3 mile drive. I know that the alignment was checked as part of the repair work (The accident damaged the wheel) so this *may* be the after-alignment road test. Having said that, the driver floored it up to redline in first AND second as soon as he got onto the road. At that point I stopped watching the video and started burning it to a DVD so I can take it to the dealership's General Manager. It was more important that I go through the process of preserving the evidence than watching it immediately. Kinda like putting up police tape around a crime scene.

So, I still have to watch the rest of this 'road test' (Top Gear style, apparently) and then check another two car journeys listed in the DVR.

Funny thing is, this WOT 'road test' (with the two giggling prepubescent techs thrashing $18k of my hard-earned money around the streets) happened at about lunchtime today. When I arrived at the bodyshop at 5pm to pick the car up they said it was "out on the road test from the alignment". The car only did 3 miles while in their custody so it's not like they were driving around for 5 hours. I wonder if they had the alignment tech do the road test at 5pm. If so, what legitimate reason did Beavis and Butt-Face have to even be out on the road, never mind burning up my clutch?

When I got the car home (and I drive like my grandad) my clutch REEKED. I suspect the rest of this road test (when I get to watch it) will be quite interesting. I also noted that when I arrived the camera mount in the front of the car had broken loose from the window (GPS suction cup) and been remounted in the wrong place. I hope they didn't do anything extreme enough to much the camera loose.... :-O

(*Side question to dealer techs: Is it normal to discuss such things as; "Do you wanna rock it?" when you would never, ever actually do something like that?
Why would they say that if it's something they would never actually do? Example: I would never mug an old granny - and therefore would never have reason to say to my friend; "Hey, there's an old granny... Want to mug her?")

Busted! :o

Stories like this make me seriously consider making a similar setup. You never know when you might need video evidence of something...

dawsin94cobra
02-18-2009, 12:01 AM
oh wow fuck that i would kill someone, that puts out a bad rap for us mechanics when people abuse the customers cars.

PonymanfiveO
02-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Only use a shop you can trust!

Blackpony
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
I sure hope the GM fired there asses

quik lx
02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
We got one of the Beechmont Subaru guys fired a couple years back when we were trading in our 98GT. He took the car around the building sideways and left the parking lot in a cloud of tire smoke onto Beechmont avenue.....right in front of us!!!!! Scott (Moontang) said he was let go that afternoon, apperently it wasnt his first offense.

Also watched my old 91 hatch drive by me at work on a "test drive" from an aglinment at tire discounters. Problem was I worked about 12 miles from the place and the guys were eating Wendy's.

Never again.

Foxxx5oh
02-18-2009, 08:55 AM
the video is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwfSzbr5Ac&feature=channel_page

Sharad
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
reason # 32136843 that I never leave my car ANYWHERE!!!

wait

I DID leave it with Rob at Rigid Race Cars. LOL! But Rob is one of VERY FEW people I trust completely with my car.

Mr.Moontang
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
We got one of the Beechmont Subaru guys fired a couple years back when we were trading in our 98GT. He took the car around the building sideways and left the parking lot in a cloud of tire smoke onto Beechmont avenue.....right in front of us!!!!! Scott (Moontang) said he was let go that afternoon, apperently it wasnt his first offense. I still can not believe that he told me about doing that to your car, I guess because he knew I owned a Mustang he felt the need to share his test drive with me. The look on his face was priceless when he found out that I knew you!!!

Dirtyd0g
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
That was a dealer? Busted.....
I know several people you don't have to worry about that crap with around here. I'm certainly not going to go thrash someones car like that because if it breaks I'd have to fix it. Burning up clutc and tires is gay anyway. If I do performance modifications on a car I certainly have to take it out and "test" it but not abuse it for fun. Even when I do a stall test If it won't hook up I won't scorch someones tires. I won't scorch mine unless they are already spent. Too damn expensive to destroy.
Alan

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
This is why i WILL NEVER take my cars to get fixed. If i can't fix it, hopefully i have friends who can help. Besides getting raped on labor charges, you have to worry about crap like this.

347sc
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
This is why i WILL NEVER take my cars to get fixed. If i can't fix it, hopefully i have friends who can help. Besides getting raped on labor charges, you have to worry about crap like this.

I have never seen any techs that I have worked with treat a customers car that way. Not saying it doesn't happen just most techs hold them selves to a higher standard. Id crack heads if that was my car.

As far as getting raped on labor. Hope your friends has a large tool box and and all the training or other wise you may be forced to have a tech like me "rape" you to do it right.

05yellowgt
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
The one time I took my stang to do dealer i set the rev-limiter to like 2500rpm just for this reason.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I have never seen any techs that I have worked with treat a customers car that way. Not saying it doesn't happen just most techs hold them selves to a higher standard. Id crack heads if that was my car.

As far as getting raped on labor. Hope your friends has a large tool box and and all the training or other wise you may be forced to have a tech like me "rape" you to do it right.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not insulting all techs, but you know this isn't a once in a million case. I'd say there's probably more dead beat guys out there than stand up guys who are holding themselves to that higher standard. Or, maybe that's just my experience.

Example...when i was younger i had a Ranger and i knew nothing about cars. It had a stalling problem. I was young and dumb and took it to Pepboys 3 times and every time they told me it was oxygen sensors, and every time they let me pay to put new ones in it. Finally i came to my senses and took it to 32 Ford and they flat out laughed and said there's no chance it was the oxygen sensers. Then they had the truck for 2 months...literally 2 months. After the first month i complained and they gave me a free rental, which was very cool of them. But, after the 2nd month they finally call me and i go back in and they hand me a bill for $2700, when nobody ever once called me to ask if i was ok with what they were doing, and then when i asked what the problem was they told me they ended up changing several parts trying to narrow down what the real problem was, and that it just ended up being $2700 worth in parts and labor. Of course, i complained because a Ford dealership should be able to tell me exactly what the problem is and not have to throw parts at it. I ended up paying parts and labor on 1 part that they installed. So it worked out ok for me in the long run, but it turned me off on dealerships and techs altogether.

soslow
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
thats a couple of typical douchbag subaru techs for ya

facemelter71
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like lot techs to me.Any one know where this was?

juiced347
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
oh shit i know the driver i am going to make fun of his ass

1byafender
02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow thats nuts. I want a camera set up like that. U do that your self ?

PonymanfiveO
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
the video is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwfSzbr5Ac&feature=channel_page

Damn son. :mad:

Katmandu
02-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Yet another example of Service Techs wrecking a NICE car. :dummy:

Car:
BMW M3

Description:
was being driven by an employee at a nearby BMW dealership where the owner of this car had it in for service. Driver barely slowed down for stop sign, took a left turn a little fast, rear end swung out, driver lost control. Car spun around, hit curb in median, and struck tree on right edge of photo. Yellowish material stuck in hinge of passenger door is tree. There were no tire marks between the tree and where the car came to rest, indicating significant bounce off of tree. Service tickets on ground next to tree were placed there by very upset but uninjured driver.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/m3/m3_20070822_001.jpg

bobtsgt
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
that is some major BS right there. Damn kids messing around with someones money like that. Hope the guy steps up and gets something out of this.

KobraII
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow, if I have taken my car to a dealership and found out that they did something like this to my car, I would have their ass fired from the dealership. You know if they broke something on that car, they would of blamed it on the car/owner and try to get away from it

ADaughen
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Sadly, my car is at the dealership with bent valves and cam out of timing right now... :(

NaomiDstangLvr
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Lord, our Escape is about to go to the shop and the Stang is already there, scares the bijibies out of me! :lol:

Mavowar
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I think every car guy that sees a nice ride drives it a little spirited.
I have never abused anybodies ride though unless given permission.
If your clutch was burnt smelling they abused it.
I have had customers say beat it all you want:lol:
The best was a guy in an Acura NSX He said"Stop being a pussy and drive it like it was yours" I said no problem:D

99 percent of the time I ask the customer to take a drive with me. That way there is none of this you wrecked my car or dented bs...

It's a two way street trust me....

IMO opinion these were young guys who do not value anybodies stuff.
I do not think they deserve to be fired but a permanent mark and any further complaints should be immediate grounds for release.
They may just learn their lesson....:dummy:

I think you should get the dealer to warranty your clutch for 15-30k miles....
BTW very sweet setup!!!

juiced347
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
that is byers chevy/toyota in delware ohio with the lube tech running the shit out of the car

latamud
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
The one time I took my stang to do dealer i set the rev-limiter to like 2500rpm just for this reason.

When I shipped my car from Hawaii I did the same thing.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Anyone see the pic of the Aston Martin that was being delivered to a guy's house and they backed it out of the truck without lowing the ram? It was one of those double decker trailers that carries one car on top of another, and the Aston was on top...it didn't end well.

Foxxx5oh
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
that is byers chevy/toyota in delware ohio with the lube tech running the shit out of the car

they pull into a Ford lot....

Foxxx5oh
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow thats nuts. I want a camera set up like that. U do that your self ?

thats not my camera work, but i do have a webcam i use for in car video...but i only get an out the windshield view. i tried contacting him cause i would like to have something like that set up in my LX

juiced347
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
they pull into a Ford lot....

ford lot is right next door pretty much bet if you ask if it was byers he would say yes

1byafender
02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Anyone see the pic of the Aston Martin that was being delivered to a guy's house and they backed it out of the truck without lowing the ram? It was one of those double decker trailers that carries one car on top of another, and the Aston was on top...it didn't end well.

wow!! id like to see that. :dummy:

evil666stang
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
i know the guy as well. he said he didnt thrash on it hard witch i know doesnt really matter but he might loose his job over it. it will just suck to find another job right now considering he has a little boy to take care of and the economy! he probaly just should of called off that day!

evil666stang
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
oh and it was byers, they just turned around in the ford dealership that is getting re-done

Katmandu
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
i know the guy as well. he said he didnt thrash on it hard witch i know doesnt really matter but he might loose his job over it. it will just suck to find another job right now considering he has a little boy to take care of and the economy! he probaly just should of called off that day!The Internet has made this a very SMALL world hasn't it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2307334&posted=1

Update: 14:50 2/20: Had a conversation with the GM of the dealership. The techs still have their jobs, however they have been dealt with. Can't share details, but I certainly think they've learned their lesson. My insurance company has been in touch with them as well to ensure that there will be no repeat of this kind of thing (Certified Bodyshop).

Katmandu
02-21-2009, 11:24 AM
thats not my camera work, but i do have a webcam i use for in car video...but i only get an out the windshield view. i tried contacting him cause i would like to have something like that set up in my LXHere's the Details of the camera setup.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94785

Katmandu
02-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Anyone see the pic of the Aston Martin that was being delivered to a guy's house and they backed it out of the truck without lowing the ram? It was one of those double decker trailers that carries one car on top of another, and the Aston was on top...it didn't end well.Here you go. :bigthumb

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/1vantage_20090215_001.jpg

Michelle
03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
camera in your face and you STILL do it. Can you say STOOPID!

NUTTSGT
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Talk about some stupid ass techs. First of all to even drive the car like that. Then knowingly do it when there is a camera in the car.

That'd be like hitting seriously hot chick with AIDs, ya you could wear a condom but Damn are you that stupid.

cobradon
03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
A guy I work with used to be a tech at a couple of local dealerships he said they used to beat the shit out of customers cars.He said someone dropped off a bad ass mustang for a oil change he said when it was finished he went for a joy ride even went to white castle when he got back after beating on it the customer was waiting on the car. He was pissed said he had seen it pull out of the lot twice.:dummy:

NUTTSGT
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Why would a dealership keep pos techs that beat on cars like this? It's only a mtter of time before they destroy one and have to pay for it.

stang5slow
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
dude thats not even my car and wathcing this video gives me goosbumps lol, thats why everytime i take my cars somewhere, (car-x, dealership ect...) i drive it through the lot myself, or at car x, i drive it up on the lifter and wont let anyone else touch it