Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Head bolt inserts AFR 185 [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Head bolt inserts AFR 185

Steves LX
01-31-2009, 01:07 AM
I picked up a set of AFR 185's. They have no head bolt inserts. So I took the ones that came in mt GT40 aluminum heads and tried to install them into the AFR's. However the fit is super tight. You have to beat them in. Well after I attemted this on one of them it seemed as if it just didn't want to seat all the way down. Well after looking at it a little closer, the insert is actually shaving the aluminum as you beat it down and it's causing the aluminum to flare out across the hole on the bottom side of the insert. So what is the solution to this? I thought all inserts were universal. At least thats what I have been told. I stabbed a bolt thru one of the other holes just too see how much slop there was vs using a insert and there is quite a bit more slop then I feel comfortable with without using a insert. Anyone here help me out on this?

Maximus
01-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Use a drill bit and open the hole.

Blowpastyou
01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
as long as you have dowels in the block I wouldnt worry about them. I didnt in my AFR 185's and was running 15psi with no problems.

graysonracin
01-31-2009, 07:00 PM
arp has stepped head bolts that are for 1/2 in head bolt holes down to stock size.

Jeff88coupe
01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
arp has stepped head bolts that are for 1/2 in head bolt holes down to stock size.

Exactly what I would use when running them on a stock block.