Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Truck fire on 71 [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Truck fire on 71

djom1cincy
01-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Well yesterday I was feeling bad when I got up for work so I decided to stay home. In the afternoon I ran down to the union hall to get some money out of the credit union. Around Dana ave there was a semi on fire. Looked like just the front right tire. If I would have been in my work truck I could have stopped and put the fire out as I carry a few fires extinguishers. Well I proceed on my way. As I'm getting off the Reading exit there is a Cincinnati Cop with someone pulled over. I stop and tell the officer and proceed on my way again. After running to the union hall and heading back home up 71 again I pass the truck. Its only about 15 minutes after I pass it the first time. The cab of the truck was gone. Completely burned away. 71 was shut down and traffic was backed up for miles. If only I had been a cheap ass and wanted to save gas and drove the work truck I alone could have saved the day. Here's a link to the story. http://www.wlwt.com/traffic/18550056/detail.html

plattner01
01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
yah that was some backed up traffic there , i got stuck in it yesterday , but was lucky enpugh to get off on the edwards exit. and go around back into ky another way

BigBadStang
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Once the couple of hundred gallons of diesel fuel start burning, it doesn't take long to burn up the fiberglass and aluminum.
Good to hear the driver got away safely, and no other passers by were injured.

Maximus
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Crazy stuff. Good thing no one was hurt.

mustang8998
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I know the owner/driver well. We call him Big Mike.

He had just picked up that container, at Matthew 25 Ministries. It was a load of donated supplies, headed to Honduras.

I'm glad Mike is alright, just sucks to have to replace the truck now.

djom1cincy
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah. When I seen the fire and how small it was I was wishing I had taken my work truck. I could have put it out with no problem. Sucks for him that it burnt to the ground.

Mustard
01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I got to watch my ex's 79 TA burn to the ground in front of wendys on Airway rd here in Dayton. That felt good.

PonymanfiveO
01-25-2009, 01:35 PM
anyone hear what caused it? Looked like a turbo failure from the pics I saw.

Carl
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
The article says the front tire blew out...the rim on the road started it?

djom1cincy
01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
When I was going by just the front right tire was on fire. There was some tire on the road also.

mustang8998
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
anyone hear what caused it? Looked like a turbo failure from the pics I saw.

I was out of town today, so I didn't get to talk to anyone.

I doubt that a flat steer tire, caused the fire. The tire most likely failed, as a result of the fire. I'll also go as far to say that a wheel bearing wouldn't cause it either.

I guess it is possible, for a flat to throw off chunks big enough to take out a fuel line, but something else (like a battery cable) would have to spark the fire. The first shots I saw, looked to me that the flames were too far forward, to be that. And the fuel lines are on the left side.

R825OH
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I thought semis were supposed to carry a fire extinguisher???

pegasus
01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
hot damm

mustang8998
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I thought semis were supposed to carry a fire extinguisher???

Yes, they have to, by law.

I don't know if he even used it, but most times, they just aren't enough.

R825OH
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes, they have to, by law.

I don't know if he even used it, but most times, they just aren't enough.

Thats a shame, how about on board fire systems like Nascar?????? hmmm.... maybe an idea,the ins co's would like it