Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Transmission grinding [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission grinding

SWEET GT
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
So I pulled the car out tonight to wash it since it got filthy coming home from Cavalcade.

I noticed on my drive to Cavalcade that the tranny was grinding when shifting into 4th gear (only did it twice and honestly forgot about it until tonight).

So as I'm pulling the car back in the garage, the car grinds going into 4th and reverse..it does not do it all the time but it does do it..

I have no clue what happened or what is causing this (I know very little about transmissions)

I have had a Steeda Tri-Ax on it since 2001 and never had an issue. I took off the dust boot tonight and looked and the stop bolts seem to be in the same place.

Car is not beat on (ask my brother, he gives me shit about babying it :))

It has 35,733 miles on it...so I wouldn't think things could be failing already and the clutch feels fine..

The entire interior was removed except for the dash and headliner a few weeks back..thats the only that has been done to the car since the last time I really drove it back in the fall...I know that has nothing to do with it.

Help me out here guys. :confused:

1992MustangDW
01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Im not sure but I think you can pull back on the clutch pedal to adjust it. Sounds to me thats all it is, but then again if it is just doing it in 4th probally the syncro.
So your back at square one and I probally just confused you

SWEET GT
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
It will do it in 4th and reverse at times. Didn't get to mess with it much tonight. I did try pulling the clutch pedal back as suggested by my brother, but didn't start the car up to test.

SWEET GT
02-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I rechecked the clutch on sunday..it doesnt seem to need adjusting.

If I go from 1 through fifth and reverse with the clutch pushed in no grinding..if I go to the neutral, let go of clutch, push in clutch and go to fourth it grinds...

plated
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
mine grinds in reverse about everytime soooooooo embarassing,cheaper to buy a used unit at a junkyard with a warranty than it is to have yours repaired,i just put in a new clutch yesterday it really helped but didn't fix it,my clutch was shot,sorry to hear good luck,google search your problem you will hear the t45's are a junk ass tranny period

SWEET GT
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah with 35k (original owner so I know the entire history of the car) I would hate to think the trans or even the clutch is shot..never been abused.....hmmmm

Black Horse
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Check your Tri-Ax adjustments, if the stop bolt is too close it can cause this, be sure to check the bolt at ever position. If nothing else, back the stop bolts off a half turn or more to see if it helps.

SWEET GT
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Hmm, I;ll give that a try Dave, thanks I will report back after I make the adjustments

Stang 38L
02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I told him to try adjusting the stop bolts.... ;)

Guess he wanted to hear it from you guys.

SWEET GT
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I told him to try adjusting the stop bolts.... ;)

Guess he wanted to hear it from you guys.

Actually, I guess you did, didnt you?

I'll wait for it to be nice out again so I can back it out of the drive and give it a try.

Hatchback kid
02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
mine grinds in reverse about everytime soooooooo embarassing,cheaper to buy a used unit at a junkyard with a warranty than it is to have yours repaired,i just put in a new clutch yesterday it really helped but didn't fix it,my clutch was shot,sorry to hear good luck,google search your problem you will hear the t45's are a junk ass tranny period

I dont know what you have for a tranny, but mine grinds if you just put it in reverse also, try putting it in second then in reverse, in my tranny it lines the revers shaft up and eliminates all of the grinding, just an idea,

For the OP. if i had to guess the syncros went bad, but im not sure

SWEET GT
02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I dont know what you have for a tranny, but mine grinds if you just put it in reverse also, try putting it in second then in reverse, in my tranny it lines the revers shaft up and eliminates all of the grinding, just an idea,

For the OP. if i had to guess the syncros went bad, but im not sure

Say the syncros did go bad, what causes them to fail?

Hatchback kid
02-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Say the syncros did go bad, what causes them to fail?
It could be a couple things, if you run at high rpms alot they will wear fast or if you shift w/o clutching they wear pretty bad,or hard downshifts, if you drive with your hand on the shifter it puts pressure on the forks which could cause them to wear,a bad clutch,warped pressure plate, or air in the clutch hydraulic system will also cause syncro problems

Black Horse
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Have you tried adjusting the stop bolts yet?

Does the car have a firewall clutch cable adjuster?