Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
New Car, YAY!!! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Car, YAY!!!

69428SCJ
01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey guys, Sorry for my extended absence due to my move out to California thanks to Uncle Sam. Just thought I'd post up about my new car. It's an 03 Cobra Vert, with go fast goodies. From what I've been told (dealer took it in on trade) it's a one owner car, new pulleys on it, headers and 3" all the way back, no cats, just mufflers. I think they said it was also tuned, allegedly putting about 600 to the wheels. I feel silly for asking this question, but I'm not too awful familiar with modular engines and any stang newer than 70. What is AED? There are a few of those stickers on the car. Here are a few pics of it next to my impala and the Z06 I was considering buying...

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/64/l_b6f1d4129e9945abb512fa523f885d4f.jpg
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/17/l_0a93973ba67e40d29e269e460a633f9c.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/l_5c15e4eb1f2b493685a08fce3527aba5.jpg

Stang849
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Great looking car!!!!

I would be a little skeptical about the power though, has similar mods to mine and it puts down 463hp and 481tq

69428SCJ
01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure exactly what's done to the car. I told the dealer to give the PO my contact number so we could talk about the car and what he did to it. I was told there were new heads on there but I couldn't tell. All I could see was smaller pulleys, a huge CAI and the full-length exhaust.

A05C
01-02-2009, 09:37 PM
say which dealer did you get that from? a friend of mine was in southern ohio looking at a black convertable with some parts on it not too long ago

but nice car, eventually i'll get something newer

Stang849
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
If the original person did heads, I hope they did cams while they were in there. Sounds like you got a nice car. How many miles on it?

COOP
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
AED could be Allen Engine Development. Tim Allen (the comedian) had a performance parts company named that. Not sure if they are still around, but they are the only AED I have heard of

ruinms
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
congrats

69428SCJ
01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
At idle it doesn't sound it's been cammed, but hopefully I'll find out soon. The dealership I bought it from is Team Chevrolet Cadillac in Vallejo California. It's got 50,149 on the clock, I can only imagine how hard those miles were. The PO is a cop in Richmond Cali which I think it somewhat amusing due to the extremely strict emissions regulations out here, aka he should know better the car wouldn't pass their version of e-check.

DeckerEnt
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Good choice!!! Enjoy the whine.
Keith

69428SCJ
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
So I finally got ahold of the shop that built the car Advanced Engine Development (The AED I originally asked about) I guess they're the MD of NorCal, they said the mods are:

Aluminum 5.0 block
.020" overbore Probe pistons with either taper wall or tool steel (they didn't remember)
Moly rings gapped for over 600HP
ARP head and main studs
MLS head gaskets
Heads have been freshened up & have bronze guide inserts
Stock Manley rods checked & machined as neccessary
Stock Cobra crankshaft, race prepped
Standard bearings
Fully balanced & machined with torque plates
custom ground cams (didn't give any details)
Stiegemeier Stage 5 port running 15 lbs. boost
36-spline rear
CAI
smaller pullies (didn't give an exact diameter)
Race Tranny (don't remember the name but they said can hold up to 700 hp, yet it needs synchros for 2nd and 3rd).

Those are the mods they told me about. I guess they used an SCT tuner with 3 different tunes, one of them good for 620 hp. Unfortunately that tuner has disappeared somewhere between dude trading in the car and me taking delivery of it. How it's set up right now is pretty decent, but even with the traction control on it still doesn't hook up when I really get on it. Talked to the PO and he said it was a Z06 killer and talked about how bamfy the car is, but I suppose we'll see if he was exaggerating or not...

Mike
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
620whp on a stock-ported blower?

Yeah, I'm thinking not.

69428SCJ
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
read again what I posted about the blower http://www.stiegemeier.com/pricing.html see 03/04 cobra stage 5 port.

Mike
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Stage 5+ with New large oval Throttle Body and welded Plenum for max opening 75+ HP, 45+ TQ $1395

Yeah, and I'm going to say again. On that supercharger, I don't see 620whp. A stock ported blower isn't going to flow enough air for those numbers.

I'd say with that motor, low to mid 500's could be done. But not more than a Whipple or other big supercharger. Not down-talking your new ride, just trying to correct some possible mis-information.

How about this. Take it to the local dyno, and post up your sheet. If your car puts down 620+whp, I'll paypal you the cost of the dyno, no questions asked.

Edit; I also don't see an upgraded heat exchanger. That won't help your cause, especially not trying to push that much air. That car seems like a BPU Cobra, that had motor issues. For those power numbers, it would need a decent amount of support, fuel etc. I learned my lesson big time about buying a car, and beating on it prior to having the tune looked at. Thats the first thing you should do. Make sure its safe etc. Those motors aren't cheap, trust me I know. My bank account still misses the $10k I spend on mine.

69428SCJ
01-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm certainly not trying to argue with you about it since I don't think I'm getting the entire story with the car, I'm just relaying the info they gave to me. I was gonna take it to the shop to see exactly is going on. If the PO finally calls me back maybe I can figure out exactly what the good numbers for the car are.

Mike
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I'll still strongly suggest a local tuner to get it on the dyno, to make sure its not a ticking-timebomb. Modded cars are scary.

69428SCJ
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
That was the plan...was gonna take it to the shop that built the engine here in the next couple days. They said it has a street tune right now so it's not pushin the 620, but however much it's putting out at the moment is plenty to break the rear end loose even with the traction control on

winner70ta
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I wondered why I had not seen you post in sometime! LOL! Here you spent all that effort getting the cat back to Ohio and now you get sent out west.
Has your Cobra still got the OEM springs in back? Hope they got changed out along with some better bushings and stickier tires. Mine was a wheel hopping son-of-gun in stock config. Still would love to have it back :bigthumb

1992MustangDW
01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
my buddy shaun has an 03 cobra. I dont know what blower he has, but he is at 640 to the wheels.

69428SCJ
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes, it does suck that as soon as I get the Cougar underway I get sent out here. As far as I know the suspension is stock...and I just got an email from the guy that tuned the car and he said it never even made it up to 500 hp but it was built to HANDLE 800 hp, SO I guess we've squashed that rumor. The blower is the factory one with a large port...

Mike
01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, it does suck that as soon as I get the Cougar underway I get sent out here. As far as I know the suspension is stock...and I just got an email from the guy that tuned the car and he said it never even made it up to 500 hp but it was built to HANDLE 800 hp, SO I guess we've squashed that rumor. The blower is the factory one with a large port...

Just buy a big whipple/KB (3.4l) and put down some serious power. From the sounds of the build, it should be able to handle all you could throw at it.