Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D Digital SLR Camera GOOD OR BAD?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D Digital SLR Camera GOOD OR BAD??

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Just like it says. Is this a good camera?? I know we have a couple photographers amounts us what do you think? I'm not looking to be a professional at this I just want a nice camera. I can get this package you see here with an extra 5 hour battery and an extra UV filter for $950.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/KrisRachford/Camera.jpg

cstreu1026
12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
That looks like a pretty decent deal. I have a Rebel xti and I am pretty happy with it. I have way more than $950 in the body, 2 lens, and a flash.

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you know what the differents is between the Xti and XSi?

Paul408Notch
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
The XSi has more megapixels than the XTi, and adds the live view on the screen.

Don't buy that package. The best lens in that listing is the 50mm Canon lens, and it's only 80 bucks. Your best bet is just finding one at Best Buy or Amazon that comes with the new 18-55 IS lens. You can have the best camera body on earth, but if you have junk lenses, you might as well be using a camera phone.

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Makes sense.

Thanks.

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
If I could trade one of the lenses listed above for the 18-55 IS which would be equivalant?

Paul408Notch
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
The 28-80 is the closest, but no where near as nice a lens. I'd pull up a good package on Amazon to show you, but my work has it blocked. If you could get the guy thats selling it to throw in the 18-55 IS instead of the 28-80, the telephoto, and the wide, it would be a decent deal I believe.

bestracing
12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I've got a Canon Xti with the Canon 35 - 80mm lens. I need the 18mm to ??? since the DSLR has an aspect ratio of 1.5 over the SLR in lenses and my 35 is too big (~52mm with the DLSR)

Originally got the lens with a Canon Eos Rebel II 35mm camera that I still have.

Paul408Notch
12-23-2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230069997&sr=8-1

Well under 700, and you get the IS lens with it. You'll just need a decent memory card and you're ready to go.

93 coupe
12-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow that's a deal! Thanks for the link Paul! :D

Black92LX
12-23-2008, 07:18 PM
The XSi has more megapixels than the XTi, and adds the live view on the screen.

Don't buy that package. The best lens in that listing is the 50mm Canon lens, and it's only 80 bucks. Your best bet is just finding one at Best Buy or Amazon that comes with the new 18-55 IS lens. You can have the best camera body on earth, but if you have junk lenses, you might as well be using a camera phone.

+1 anything less than an 18-55 is a waste of money for a Digital. You will loose a lot of the frame.

I am guessing you don't have a 35mm with a bunch of lenses already?? If you do I would buy a digital that uses the same lenses.

I have a nice Minolta 35mm with 4 lenses so I will be buying the Sony DSLR someday so I don't have to buy new glass that I already enjoy.

The Canon is a good buy but if you don't have anything strapping you to it I would go with a Nikon. I prefer their glass to Canon. But either is a good pick.

Paul408Notch
12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
+1 anything less than an 18-55 is a waste of money for a Digital. You will loose a lot of the frame.

I am guessing you don't have a 35mm with a bunch of lenses already?? If you do I would buy a digital that uses the same lenses.

I have a nice Minolta 35mm with 4 lenses so I will be buying the Sony DSLR someday so I don't have to buy new glass that I already enjoy.

The Canon is a good buy but if you don't have anything strapping you to it I would go with a Nikon. I prefer their glass to Canon. But either is a good pick.

Not to get into an endless argument, but there's a reason a majority of professionals use Canons... The L Lenses.

Black92LX
12-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Not to get into an endless argument, but there's a reason a majority of professionals use Canons... The L Lenses.

It's hard to tell who gets used more, but when I was in the A/V business we came across much more using Nikon. Same when I met with 8 different wedding photographers. 7 of the 8 used Nikon. The One that used Canon did not even know what a RAW file was so I wouldn't put much stock in her.
I am not bashing Canon glass by any means. They make great products, I just prefer Nikon personally.

Kind of like the never ending Ford v Chevy battle. Is one really better when personal preference is taken out of play?

For further reading on the subject
http://www.dpreview.com/

Has great reviews and can help make the best decision based upon what you are looking for.

A05C
12-23-2008, 09:25 PM
i love my canon rebel XT, i thought about upgrading to that one

Kelly Pelrine
12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Kris, here are those sites i was telling you about:

www.dpreview.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
WOW! Thanks guys. I see that there is alot more to this than I thought.

69Cobra
12-23-2008, 09:38 PM
:eek::confused::(:eek2::redx1::dunno::doh:My head is spinning with all this 18-55 IS f/1.4-blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :tard: Kelly just be on stand bye in case I need a pic taken:lol:

Kelly Pelrine
12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
:eek::confused::(:eek2::redx1::dunno::doh:My head is spinning with all this 18-55 IS f/1.4-blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :tard: Kelly just be on stand bye in case I need a pic taken:lol:

lol no prob! quick reference, the lower the number (f2.8) the faster the lense response. The high the number (f3.5) the slower the lense will respond. Having a higher number doesnt mean its a bad lense, just may need to adjust more for lighting conditions, or use a tri-pod or monopod (so the photo isnt "soft" or blurred).

bestracing
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Thats how my friend got into Sony. Started with a Minolta SLR, bought a Minolta DSLR and the wound up getting a Sony Alpha (after they merged with Minolta). Not much difference in outter appearance from the Minolta to the Sony so no need to relearn a lot of settings and menus.

It's hard to tell who gets used more, but when I was in the A/V business we came across much more using Nikon. Same when I met with 8 different wedding photographers. 7 of the 8 used Nikon.
out west in Yellowstone I see about equal number of Nikon and Canon cameras being used by Pros and Am's. A lot of them have the more expensive higher end lenses out there where one Zoom or Tele will cost 5 figures. Got a lot of good tips from some really good guys out there.

Black Horse
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Both the Canon's and the Nikon's are top of the line. Chose the camera/body with the features you want, some of the more professional models will have more features and bells and whistles than you would ever use - why spend the extra cash? Save up and buy the best glass (lenses) you can afford.
I won't go into a photographer's tirade, but a camera doesn't make the photos, the photographer does. Sometimes it is best to start out with some base levels and work your way to a model that best suits your needs. I have seen some outstanding photography taken with the simplest of point and shoot cameras.

With that said, I think you'll like the Rebel...and I think Paul is spot on for combo selection. Enjoy it, have fun and practice, practice, practice. There are some great forums for Canon and Nikon users too with a lot of practical info and super folks to help you out, much like SBZ. But be warned....photography can be as addicting as your car...and as expensive.

Black92LX
12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats how my friend got into Sony. Started with a Minolta SLR, bought a Minolta DSLR and the wound up getting a Sony Alpha (after they merged with Minolta). Not much difference in outter appearance from the Minolta to the Sony so no need to relearn a lot of settings and menus.

The Sony doesn't get much talk in the DSLR game because of it's lack (compared to Canon or Nikon) of glass. But it's a great camera body. I have an old school Minolta Maxxum 35mm that I love and since that glass will work on the DSLR I figure I may as well take advantage of it.

I love shooting 35mm and back when I was in college was shooting about 4 rolls a week. But developing costs are just so much when you put it into perspective of the digital world.
The delete with pick and choose of what you want developed is nice.

FireStang02
12-24-2008, 11:02 AM
My wife is a professional photographer and wont use anything but Canon. Her current camera is a 5D. Very nice camera. You cant go wrong with anything they make. Nikon is quality too though. It mostly comes to personal preference.

IWRBB
12-25-2008, 07:57 AM
I was looking at review of the Cannon Rebel DSLRs, apparently you cannot use the LCD screen as a viewfinder in auto mode, only in manual mode. ?? Seems like a major flaw to me.