Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Computer nerds....come on in please.... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Computer nerds....come on in please....

FireStang02
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I am having problems and need some advice. We recently bought a new house. It only has cable connections in the 3 places, one of which is not in the room I am making the office. I figured, no biggie..I would just get a wireless card adapter card for my desktop. While looking for card I decided I might as well get a new desktop since they are running awesome deals right now. Here is what I purchased.

Gateway Desktop

Product Features

* Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5200
With 800MHz frontside bus, 2MB shared L2 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed.
* 4GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
* SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL media.
* 640GB Serial ATA II hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
* NVIDIA GeForce 7100 integrated graphics
With up to 256MB shared video memory for lush images; high-definition audio (8-channel support); HDMI output.
* 15-in-1 digital media card reader
With Smart Copy button supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo for easy media transfer.
* Also supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive; supports mini Secure Digital, Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) and MultiMediaCard Mobile with optional adapter (not included).
* 2 IEEE 1394 ports and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Both front and rear accessible, for fast digital transfer and easy connection of peripherals.
* Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 connector
Along with a V.92 data/fax modem for easy Internet connection.
* Multimedia keyboard, USB 2-button optical wheel mouse and amplified USB speakers
Included for convenient operation.
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd102500050015&skuId=9999102400050015&type=product&childSku=9032352&count=1

D Link Wireless N Adapter Card DWA - 552

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8040363&type=product&id=1157068455017

D Link Wireless N Router Dir 615

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8305568&type=product&id=1173577562535

I did exactly what the instructions said for installing the network card. It was easy, just open the case and install it in the empty slot. I then loaded the software. After installation the computer said it did not recognize the card. I called the useless customer service for D link. They advised me that this card is not Vista compatible out of the box. They suggested I download the drivers from their site. I attempted to do this and had no luck. I have found tons of other information and reviews today by a lot of other people with the same problem. Any suggestions on how to get this to work, or any other decent router/adapter combos that would work?

PaulFiveOh
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
First off, take the card back out of the pc and using device manager, uninstall the drivers.

Next, take the card back to where you purchased it from. It is not Vista compatible. One can make it work, but its a hacked up way of making it work.

Just go buy your self a Linksys adapter. Be advised that you don't need to match brands. You just need to match protocols. So if it is a wireless N router, you need a card that picks up wireless N. Same with G/B/A.

So this one would be good and its a good price- http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB300N-Wireless-N-Network-Adapter/dp/B000I5K4MQ

ewalt
12-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Pauls post is non-sense. I personally do not like linksys shit at all, but whatever. So many ppl I know have issues all the time with their linksys wireless shit.

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=531&sec=0#drivers

The drivers for the DLINK card that work for vista are right there. Did you install them?

FireStang02
12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I attempted to. I saved them on a flash drive and attempted to add them when the computer said to browse for drivers. I am confused what I need to download. Which ones do I download? Just the one with the newest date or do you need more than 1? Thanks

I thought about just taking the computer downstairs and plugging it directly into the modem and let it surf the net itself for what it needs....Will this work?

ewalt
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
You can take it down and plug it into the back of the router via wire. That'll make getting initial setup easier.

I don't your level of computer literacy, so please excuse me if I explain how to do something you know how to do already. Just trying to cover all bases.

First thing you should probably do is uninstall anything related to the card you have installed. Try add remove programs to start and find anything related to dlink and remove it. It's in control panel.

You have vista, so you want to try and get to device manager as well.

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5183

Try and find the wireless card adapter in there. If you removed the software from within add remove programs, you may find it's listed under a category that basically says it's in the computer, but no drivers are installed. I forget, been a while since I've seen it, and I don't use windows daily.... sorry. If you find the card, right click and click properties and from there try and see if you can uninstall drivers. The goal is that there won't be any installed anyway, but I figured you could check to make sure.

After that, it appears you can just download the 4.10 for the drivers. The file is in zip format, your best bet is to unzip it. After you download, and open it, you'll see a folder called dwa522_drivers_140b09. Just drag that onto your desktop, then open that folder. In there, you'll see a set up folder, open that and double click setup in there.

If that doesn't resolve, we'll try and go from there.

FireStang02
12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks, I am actually working at the firehouse all weekend. I will try monday.

PaulFiveOh
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Pauls post is non-sense.

:lol::lol: Yea. Sure is.

Haha moron

1992MustangDW
12-12-2008, 07:29 PM
we have linksys, works great

mach_u
12-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Go in to Programs and Features under the Control Panel and uninstall the d-link software. It will take the drivers out and the d-link software. Download the Vista drivers here: http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=531&sec=0#drivers and you should be good to go. Generally it's a good idea to physically remove the card before installing the software however. Install software, reinstall card and you should be good to go. Make sure you secure your wireless too! ;)

FireStang02
12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I was able to get it working using the info posted here. Thanks again everyone. It is lightning fast and works great. DLink aint so bad afterall...lol