Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
alternator bracket issue. Please help... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : alternator bracket issue. Please help...

2Kblacksleeper
12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Sorry if this is aginst the rule to repost, but i thought that it might get answered better here.

Well i had a little problem a couple of days ago. When i was taking the alt off, i un bolted the 2 bolts and the damn thing was froze on there like it was still bolted.

I think to myself no prolbem. I have a little flat head screw driver and i will just wiggle it a little where the crush sleve looking thing is on the bottom mount. So as i start to add a little force, I hear something hit the ground that sounds like a socket hitting. At the same time the alt frees up so i am like finally.

Well aparently i broke the damn mount. It cracked off on the bottom tab. It also had a big air bubble in the casting where it broke off.

I was pissed to say the least. I called up jegs and ordered this part,
http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/9455/10002/-1 .
DO you all think that this will work to remount it back?
I am also thinking that it is not the right alt since mine should be a 130 amp. this one is from a junkyard and i believe that it is only a 80 amp. If i take it to like autozone can they test it and tell me weather it is a 80 or 130. Or do they just say if it is good or bad?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

Rick93coupe
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Why not just find someone who welds aluminum and have the ear put back on? We would probably need to see what ear broke off to tell whether or not that bracket would work, but as I'm picturing it, I don't think it will. If the ear is broken off, how are you going to bolt it to the slide bracket?

Rick93coupe
12-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Is the ear on the right the one that broke off?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/Rick88coupe/P1000077-1.jpg

2Kblacksleeper
12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Sorry guy if i was not clear. I broke the mount that is attached to the front of the motor. i will take a pic and post it after i get off of work at 6pm.

It was the bottom tab on the bracket that holds the alt.

Does that make any better sense?

John

89notch
12-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Mike at Dayton preformance sells a very nice aluminum setup for like 70 or so and it looks much better than the chrome

2Kblacksleeper
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
here are the pics of the broken mount.

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/2kblacksleeper/95%20mustang%20GT/

I was looking at it a while ago and i think that if i take one of the bolts out of the smog pump and replace it with a little longer one i might be able to get away with just useing the lower bracket, and just wait till i do a cam swap in the spring to replace the whole thing. What do you all think?

Thanks,
John

Rick93coupe
12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I THINK, and don't get me wrong, this isn't the correct way to do it. I think you could jb weld that piece back together and forget about it. Welding it would be the right way to go about it, but since its not a piece that's going to have a boat load of force on it, it would work fine.
Any # of guys may have relocated their alt's and have one of those laying around. What yr did it come off of?

2Kblacksleeper
12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
It is a 95 GT. I had another guy at work tell me i could JB weld it or use that new billy mays bonding stuff. I just would feel strange about doing it. Dont really know why but i would.

I think i am going to try to just use the lower bracket out of the set that i got from jegs and use a bolt that is on the smog pump to attach it like the march directions show.

I plan on taking the pump off, but i want to get a base line numbers with it all stock so i know where i am comming from.

Thanks again for your help and if you think of anything else just let me know.

John

2Kblacksleeper
12-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Just an update, My friend came over and we were able to bolt it to the origenal bracket. We used some washers as spacers to get it done. Kinda redneck but it held just fine.
I still need an alt though.

John