Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Who has bought a car that had a lien on it? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who has bought a car that had a lien on it?

92StangMan
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
A week and a half ago I bought a used car from a private dealer who currently had a lien on the car. He spoke with his credit union in Detroit and they told him they had a credit union branch in Lexington, KY (where we met) that could take care of the transaction.

The guy and I met up in Lexington, had the car inspected and the car was given a clean bill of health. We head to the credit union and began having trouble with the whole transaction. Since the credit union in Lexington was a branch and not the exact credit union in Detroit, they would not accept the cashier's check from my bank without a 7-day hold. We didn't have many options and certainly didn't want to drive the same distance to meet up again, so we decided I would take the car and all documents and he takes my word that the check is legit.

Fast forward to this Monday: The guy calls and says everything went through and he over nighted the release of lien to me and should be there on Wednesday since Tuesday was a holiday. Wednesday came and nothing. Thursday came and nothing. I called him and asked for the tracking number and he said he didn't have it but would mail out another copy that same day. I told him to get a tracking number and he said OK. Later on that day I called him and asked for the tracking number and he text'd me saying that his dad went to the post office and sent it out himself through regular mail, that he didn't get a tracking number.

At this point I'm becoming a little aggravated. I called his bank and spoke to someone directly to find out if his load had even been paid for. After speaking to someone for 30-minutes and being on hold every 5-minutes, I found out that he did in fact pay the loan off but it will take 14-days for the release on lien to be sent to him and then he has to mail it to me. The only way to bypass this is to fax it to my bank and have it notarized there. Today I tried calling the guy and he still hasn't picked up. About 15-minutes ago I text'd him saying to call me ASAP and will try again later today.

He may be busy, this and that, but I'm beginning to feel a little jerked around here. I have the car, the title and everything is legit (not stolen) so I don't know why he would try to dick me around. I don't think he is, just feel that he is; only because I've had a few deals on the internet go south.

Has anyone had a similar experience? He trusted me that the check was legit and that I wouldn't call and cancel it right after I got home, so now I guess it's my time to trust him. I just wish there was better communication.

Having the car for a week and a half and not being able to drive it has taken out the 'new car fun'. Then hearing it might be another 14-days, that'll be a bitch. Any thoughts?

k062693w
11-15-2008, 01:37 PM
So how did he supposedly mail you the release of lien TWICE, If the Credit Union said it would take 14 days ???
Just wondering, Sounds kind of fishy to me...
Good Luck

92StangMan
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
He said he mailed a copy. There are a few questions I have concerning that but he does't pick up his phone.

ClevelandMstang
11-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Never buy a car without an actual clean and clear title.. period. it will always be an issue to get fixed.

k062693w
11-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I just realized if he lives in Michigan, He could have you... I would contact the local P.D. if I were you...
In the State of Michigan when there is a lien on a title they give you the actual title, Not like other states.. I was shocked when I moved up there and bought a new car and received the actual title, Not a duplicate. So the Title you have, even if notorized is worthless. All he had to do is wait for your check to clear, And take the release to the BMV and have a duplicate/lost title done with the release, And have a free and clear title to the car.. He could then report the car stolen and collect from his insurance..
I'm not saying he did this, But I would check into it..

Just my $.02

NXcoupe
11-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I hope you get this resolved.

92StangMan
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Figured I would post up that I received everything in the mail today and now the car is in my name.

DeckerEnt
11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Good to read that. At least there are a few decent people left in this world.
Keith

k062693w
11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Figured I would post up that I received everything in the mail today and now the car is in my name.

:bigthumb I'm glad everything worked out !!! :bigthumb

Katmandu
11-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Figured I would post up that I received everything in the mail today and now the car is in my name.Glad to hear that.

There's a Ex-Used Car Dealer here in Troy that just went to Prison for 5-7 years for Title Fraud. He was scamming people and not sending them Titles and all kinds of other crap.

I remember meeting him a few years ago when I test drove a pretty Hot Fox body he had For Sale. Real Dickhead he was. :rolleyes: