Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dropping Insurance on the Stang [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Insurance on the Stang

untamed
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I know that several of you put your cars up for the winter. How do you go about the whole insurance thing? I am going to put mine to bed for the winter here in a few weeks. I will be storing it in a garage on my property. what do you do as far as insurance? I won't need to keep full coverage on it cuz I won't be driving it. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

aperacer
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
i keep comprehensive on mine. and drop the rest.

ibstrokin
11-06-2008, 06:13 PM
What sucks is, if you take the insurance off your car, but still have valid tags on it, you can lose your license if the bmv sends you a letter asking you to verify coverage. Even if the car is apart.

aperacer
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
ran into that with the state. sent them info from the ins. company and told them it was in storage and they were ok with that.. but that may have been because i kept the comprehensive on it.

Pyro50
11-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Drop everything but the comprehensive. I was a licensed insurance agent for Ohio for 7 years. If you keep the comp, it is covered for fire, theft, vandalism and acts of God. Just MAKE SURE before you drive it, reinstate the full coverage. This is also satisfactory coverage for the State if you get a letter of insurance verification. :) That is the only coverage I have on mine right now and it is $56 per 6 months.

Ryan218
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
comprehensive is what we have on all 3 mustangs right now.

untamed
11-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess I will do the copmrehensive thing. Thanks a lot guys for the info.:bigthumb

Mista Bone
11-06-2008, 10:31 PM
State FArm was pretty understanding on the storage/change of insurance with my TA.

Pyro50
11-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I guess I will do the copmrehensive thing. Thanks a lot guys for the info.:bigthumb

JUST MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU MOVE IT that you reinstate the coverage. If you take it out and drive it, even for one hour and wreck, you will NOT be covered.

Stangman
11-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I like having classic vehicle insurance on my '77 Mustang II, It's $42 twice a year :)

It is currently in storage for the winter as well :bigthumb

PONYGRL
11-07-2008, 08:30 AM
So although I work at an insurance company (non-profit orgs), I'm not familiar w/ the whole types of car insurance thing.... despite the fact that I could just go ask my mom, as she handles auto claims. I'm still under my parents' car insurance until I graduate, and haven't had to worry about it.

If you only have Comprehensive coverage and keep it in your garage on your property, and your house burns down, it is still covered-or are you screwed?

Pyro50
11-07-2008, 09:08 AM
If you only have Comprehensive coverage and keep it in your garage on your property, and your house burns down, it is still covered-or are you screwed?

It is covered. :) It is covered for anything besides road use and liability. If a tree falls on the garage and crushes it, garage burns to the ground, etc, it is covered.

The only bad part is, if your house/garage catch on fire, that is a homeowners claim. Then you would also have an auto claim for the car.

Waffles
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I keep fire and theft while in storage, costs me like $46 for 6 months.

untamed
11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm going to check into all of this next week when I get home from Gatlinburg. Thanks again everyone.

ihave1sweetride
11-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm going to check into all of this next week when I get home from Gatlinburg. Thanks again everyone.

i leave just comp on mine, it is only like $100 for the 6 months or so... Def a good way to save some money if your not going to drive it.