Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
CDL Training... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CDL Training...

PonymanfiveO
11-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I know there are a few drivers on here, I have some questions...

Last year I had my Class A learner permit, but let it expire because I did not have access to a truck to take my driving test. what a bummer. :(

I found the job I want, and after researching how to get that job I learned that most every company wants you to have a valid class A CDL. Im going to do everything in my power to go after my dream job, so I need my CDL! :bigthumb

Would it be worth the time and money to go through a training company?
they look expensive and seem to take a bit of time to complete.

How else would I go about finding a truck to use to take my driving test?

Im not afraid of taking the written test again. I can get the book, study and darn near ace that with no problem with the endorsements.

PonymanfiveO
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
what about this place?

seems kinda expensive...

http://www.napiertruck.com/

cobrajoe
11-02-2008, 11:56 PM
what's your dream job requiring a CDL? If you don't mind me asking.

PonymanfiveO
11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Its kinda silly, but I figured everyone would ask what it was. :)

Sparky
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I thinks that's where my cousin went.Clark State offers training up here in Springfield. I went through Schneider to get mine. They valued the course I took at about 5 grand, because they said that's how much I would owe them if I quit and went to work for someone else within a year of completion.This was 8 years ago too, so I don't know how much it is now. I think I would go with training that isn't influenced by a specific carrier. What they gave me was pretty much a crash course,and it made me very nervous because of all the scary shit they put in my head. I would want someone teaching me with an unbiased opinion on how to do stuff, not just what's good for their pocket book.Let the company orientation come later.You need to be taught how to be safe and confident at the same time. As far as finding a truck, I don't know what to tell you, because that's why most people go with company training. But, if you take that course, they will get you your license, that's what they do. You don't have to provide your own rig or anything. Most carriers won't hire anyone with less that 1 year OTR experience,unless you find some small local company that will take anybody. The downside to that is they probably won't pay shit either. Schneider started me out at 26 cent per mile, which would equal out to about 35K a year and running your ass off. I'm sure its more now, but not by much. I know you say its your dream job, but I don't know how much you really know about it. I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but this is my experience. I watched all the infomercials and all the goody-goody crap I could take when I signed on. It's not like having a paid vacation, its work. If you're busy taking in the scenery, you're not paying attention to the traffic or your machine. 10 hours of bouncing up and down in that seat a day takes more out of you than you would think. In my opinion, it was about 70% rules,paperwork&BS and 30% driving.

I can't say I regret trying it and I wouldn't rule out doing it again if I had to. But I will say it's not for everybody. My hat's off to those that do it everyday, and every time I'm out on the interstate I respect the 18 wheelers and give them plenty of room and a big thumbs up. They keep this country rolling.

Timido
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
I cant see paying 5 grand for a test find a place that will rent you a tractor and trailer for the test. My brother in law was telling me about some test center that does that.

Pyro50
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
James got laid off from his job and decided that he wanted to switch careers and go in to driving. He went to the Hamilton County Job and Family Services office over in Swifton Commons and got a grant. They paid for EVERYTHING, including his rental of the semi for his test. I would check into your local County office for a grant and see what you can get. If you go to a company and they pay for your license, you have to stay with them for a certain amount of time until you "work off your debt" to them.

James now works for Roadway and makes great money. He is home as much as he is on the road.

Hangingcogs
11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
This is what I do is hire CDL A drivers and students. First off you need to find out if these companies are going to require you to have any experience to drive these rigs. If so, how much and what are the requirements? 1 yr otr, will they take local, what's the minimum trailer you need to have pulled, moving violations/accident will come into play within the past 3 years.

If you don't have the cash to throw down you will need to get financed, which the trucking schools can do. I know people on here will bitch about this but, CR England cash option is $1995. That is probably the cheapest you will find it anywhere. You can go to school and obtain your cdl and quit. Once you have the certificate in your hand, it's yours, and you will not owe CRE anything.

Now in regards to finding someone to loan you a truck to take your test, good luck! The guys that have no school and just got their cdl's are running with their family company.

There are several local schools you can call Tri State in Middletown, Roadmaster and TDDS are going to be expensive because they do contracting with companies. You can try Ivy Tech, not sure of the price or closest campus to you.

If you need anymore information or help just let me know.

Holly
11-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Why don't you call Auston and talk to him about it Matt?

Or, I could give you my nephew's name and number, he went through the whole thing about 5 years ago, and now has a good job with Fed Ex.

BigBadStang
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Matt, if you can already drive tractor trailer, and are just in need of equipment to take the test, there are 3rd party state testing facilities that can provide the equipment. I took my test at CDL of Northern Ohio. That was about 16 years ago, and at that time they were the only ones allowed by the State of Ohio to operate as a 3rd party CDL test center. I don't know what all they offer now, but back then, I was able to take my test, rent a TT for the test, and buy instruction time from a instructor to go over the pre-trip stuff and the details of the driving and maneuverabiltiy, as well as practice time for the maneuvering with the instructor. I think I had 300 bucks out of pocket total. The tractor was even an automatic...lol.

That can get you your license, but you'll have to take a shit driving job w/o any experience (like me...hauling steel, delivering Coke :eek: :lol:) to get your seat time so you can get a better driving job.

HERE (http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/counties.html#CDL) is the link to the testing facilities in Ohio. The 3rd party ones are the ones who may offer equipment for testing.

95redstang
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I was supposed to start Napier in a couple weeks. Somehow a dui came back on my background check. It was from Pennsylvania. I have never been there. Plus I don't drink. There is 3 or 4 other citations from Penn. as well linked to me. So I have to clear all that crap up before I can start...

PonymanfiveO
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
If I live in KY, do I have to test in KY or can I go anywhere?

Can I take the written and get my permit in KY and then take the driving part in OH?

MWoods26
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I want to chime in about the 3rd party testing. The one I went to was a JOKE! It has been about 3 or 4 years and I cant remember what it was called or exactly how to get there I think it was called Tri pike or pike something and it was in the middle of nowhere about an hour past dayton on 75. I remember It was 185 bucks to rent a truck. I just got my class B and it was a automatic dump truck. To get your A they used the same trucks just hooked up a short flat bed trailor no bigger that you could haul a car on:lol: If you cant remember all the pre trip stuff they will really help you out.:bigthumb As far as being a truck driver I had very little seat time nor do I want any. I just had to get a CDL when I was an apprentice in the Heavy Equipment Operators Union

PonymanfiveO
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
this it?

Auglaize County
*Mid-Pike
20972 Middle Pike
Wapakoneta, OH 45895
phone: (419) 568-3835

kwik- lx
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
i just went to take the test up in willard oh cost $235 for the test and the use of their truck and trailer the truck is a single axle day cab with a automatic no clutch and 48 foot van it was a cake walk. its was nice not doing any shifting during the test

Jeff88coupe
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Can I take the written and get my permit in KY and then take the driving part in OH?

You have to take the written and driving test in KY. I took my Class B driving test out in Erlanger just down the road from St. Henry's high school.

NXcoupe
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
If you are from KY, then you have to test in KY to get your CDL. It is a state offered license and therefore requires residency and an existing state license. So if you have a KY driver's license, then you will have to test in KY. I would think there would be numerous testing stations and offerings in KY for you. I have a B class and have no desire to drive a semi. I got beat to death enough in what I drove.

mustang8998
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Its kinda silly, but I figured everyone would ask what it was. :)

Good luck, with that! :lol:

Unless you have an inside line, that type of job don't come easy.

Don't ask me how I know.

graysonracin
11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Good luck man, atleast you found something you want to go for. My job absolutley 100% all the time SUCKS!. Havent figured out what else i want to do though.

PonymanfiveO
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Good luck, with that! :lol:

Unless you have an inside line, that type of job don't come easy.

Don't ask me how I know.

I realize its not going to be easy.

When I really want something though, I go for it all the way.
I may fail but I can say I tried. :)

Sparky
11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
That's how I looked at it when I tried. That's all you can do. I wanted to work my way up to driving for someone like Reliable, who haul exotic cars all around the country. It takes a flawless driving record to get it. I stuck a trailer under a low bridge in Detroit on my first solo run. It's not hard to do up there, but I was so embarrassed that I came back home to my toolbox and I've been there since. I t was an experience to say the least lol...

Mista Bone
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
After watching "wrecked" it seems Chitown is worse.

I know one low clearnce bridge in Detroit is off by 6" due to all the asphalt piled up around the basketball sized potholes!!!!!

W. Grand Blvd and Fort Street exit off I75 near the Ambassador Bridge.

I got my Civic stuck in a pothole when the frame bottomed out as it was getting dusk outside, not a good place to be either!

JamesjGT
11-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm a over the road truck driver for Roadway and its not what people think. Its a great job but its not a 9to5 job. I don't know what company you wanna work for but its gonna be hard to get on anyplace with out trucking school. When I first started I had to take a crap job for 2 years before I could get the job I wanted.
Trucking is really hard on your body and its a 24/7 job. Like my wife said I would try to get a grant so that why you would have a school under your belt for help getting hired.

Sparky
11-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah in Chicago you have to do a lot of "blind side backing" right off of the street. I was told that sometimes you have to call ahead to the police to stop traffic for you.Not to mention drive fast enough so the hood rats can't jump on the back and try to jimmy the doors open to loot you.

You wanna talk about a night to remember in Detroit. I hauled 40,000 lbs of cast iron forgings to the Detroit Axle plant. Got there 2 hours before close, was next in line until some Chrysler trucks cut in line. 10 pm I get out of there, get chased down by security because apparently I left without being inspected, even though the dude waved me on. I get lost looking for the drop lot on Cleveland street in the middle of the night. After turning around in places that a truck shouldn't fit, I pick a street to park on for the night. I keep looking for a shopping center big enough for me ,and all I see is the same thing. Gun store,liquor store,pawn shop,convenience store......liquor store,pawn shop ,gun store. This goes on for miles. I don't know where the hell I am. I finally find a grocery store, so I pull in. People coming out of the store see this white boy in a big orange truck trying to park this thing ,looking at me like I'm crazy. I run to a payphone across the street to call my STL and let him know that I'm lost and I won't be able to make the next run to Buffalo. Turns out I have to talk to the after hours interim STL, only to have him tell me he doesn't know where I am..sorry about your luck. I spend the night there, and get a hold of my team leader...he's pissed. Not at anyone but me of course. He still wants me to make the run to Buffalo, so I head out. I finally find the street I need, so now I'm looking for the number on the building. I have to drop off my empty at this drop lot and pick up a load of these huge ass rolls of paper. I'm cruising 25 down this street, getting the finger, can't find the damn place, everything looks the same. No signs, just shitty ass Detroit blah-ness. I pass the last building before these bridges, only to see that the number I'm looking for is in my right mirror. Shit, I passed it. Now I have to find another 40 acres to turn this pig around. I pass under this ancient concrete train trestle...no sweat. I see some open area ahead of me past this next big iron sumbitch of a bridge. Still going 25, the cab makes it under and then BANG BANG BANG CLANG DIDDILY ANG! It stops me so fast that the seatbelt catches me and throws my head towards the window so I can watch the last 6 out of 40 feet of trailer getting a 4 inch top chop.

Long story short, the cop was cool as hell, no citations. Schneider was cool except for the fact that I had to find my way back to Ohio from Dearborn on my own. I had to hitch a ride from a man hating bull-dyke down to the Seville operating center (outside of Akron) and had to call my mom to bring me my car, which was another 2 and a half hours away. I decided to give bodywork another try, even though they tried like hell to put me back in another truck. NEWP!!!

NXcoupe
11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I realize its not going to be easy.

When I really want something though, I go for it all the way.
I may fail but I can say I tried. :)

Good attitude, you'll go far. You've got to chase your dreams, or you'll always wonder what if?

Hangingcogs
11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
If you are thinking about going to a school in OH you can use the schools address. Or, if you are trying to take a test in OH you can use someone's address, get your temp. permit and take the test. Once you have your A's then you can get it transfered back into KY.

Jaylynn
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I in the middle of nowhere about an hour past dayton on 75.

Yea - sounds lik "Lima" lol

BigBadStang
11-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Sorry dude! I forgot you live in KY!

relaxednoma
11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Matt, I know Nick Sears went to a school, but I'm not sure which one. he said it was a joke

SlowRS
11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I work for schneider now, been there for 2 years and I love it. I am on the walmart dedicated account out of Washington Court House, Ohio. I made about 35k my first year, this year I will hit about 40k. I am home every 6 days for 2.5 days, which works out great. I hear alot of bad things about the pumpkin, but I have had nothing but good experiences. Never have a problem getting home if I need it, and I am pretty much left alone to deliver my loads. I may not be breaking the bank, but I am happy and that is all that matters.

331TwistedWedge
11-05-2008, 11:40 PM
its a good career matt, i would do it again without thinking ... my first year at fed ex i made right at $60k ...