Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
price of fuel [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : price of fuel

phatford
11-02-2008, 08:59 PM
glad to see gas go down but why the hell cant diesel go down with it???!!!

anyone know why diesel is still high? when i first got my truck it was always cheaper than gas but then about 2 years ago it started to sky rocket up in price so WTF??

anyone else got a diesel?

Sharad
11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
damn. I want to get mad for you, but I can't get past your avatar!! LOL!

phatford
11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
hahahaha i came across that on a website uh yea hahaha

BigBadStang
11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
glad to see gas go down but why the hell cant diesel go down with it???!!!

anyone know why diesel is still high? when i first got my truck it was always cheaper than gas but then about 2 years ago it started to sky rocket up in price so WTF??

anyone else got a diesel?

These are the 3 main reasons for it;

1. High worldwide demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils, especially in Europe, China, India and the United States, and a tight global refining capacity available to meet demand.

2. The transition to ultra low sulfur diesel fuels in the United States is affecting diesel fuel production and distribution costs.

3. The Federal excise tax on on-highway diesel fuel is 6 cents per gallon higher (at 24.4 cents/gallon) than the tax on gasoline

rpppaprp
11-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone want to bet our gas prices start climbing after tuesday?

phatford
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Anyone want to bet our gas prices start climbing after tuesday?

yea i never even thought about that. wonder if they will

Stolly113
11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
i doubt it its all about supply and demand right now the demand is down right now that is why Saudi Arabia is try to limit how much they send us right now because they aren't making as much money as they were. But who knows??

may93
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I've never bought into the supply and demand concept as I think it was all bullshit. The oil companys and our poilticians really thought that Americans could afford $4.00 a gallon for gas and in doing so are economy weakened and is failing. Prices of food went up, our heating bills went up, surcharges were added to everything you bought, people quit buying new vehicles that in turned caused layoffs in factorys, families didnt take vacations and people just stopped buying because all their money was going into gas.
Now they blame in on the failed housing loans when in fact if it wasnt for such high gas prices people would have had the money to maybe pay back some or most of these loans. At this point I would gladly ride a bike to work just to watch these oil companys go belly up.
Im sure theres plenty of members that understand the economy and how it all works better then I but I do know that for myself the high prices of gas have effected my everyday living tremendously.
Yesterday I filled my truck up and with the money I saved from what it cost 3 months ago I was able to take my wife to dinner and then a movie. Its seems so small and trivia but not when millions of people are doing the same.

PONYGRL
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Gas was $1.79 in grant county down in KY on saturday.... yahaha biatch! But we didn't need gas of course. I couldn't believe my eyes.

ewalt
11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Again, this sillyness that politicians and whatever else have all the much to do with gas prices is blatantly naive.

Oil is traded (http://www.nymex.com/lsco_pre_agree.aspx), on the market, much like stock. It's price is set by demand, and supply. Like it or not, if you want to believe it or not. That is how it works. Read the link, oil is one of the most traded commodities.

A lot of oil producing countries are up in arms right now because of the price of oil. OPEC doesn't set the price, that's why they're trying to scale back supply in order to ramp up price a bit. Most countries that produce large amounts of oil, set their budgets based on the price per barrel. Most countries I believe set their budgets for spending at around the $80 dollar per barrel price. Some countries had planned on at least $90 per barrel.

The oil price has fallen simply because demand has fallen. The US economy became weak, because of credit problems. This in turn helped a lot of world economies to become weak as well. A lot of countries rely heavily on us, as we are a HUGE importer. Walmart is probably the signal largest importer in the whole world... lol. Our economy falls, others do as well. China is not doing well, as their largest importer (the U.S.) is in a slowing economy and not really wanting to bring in a lot of stuff. Consumers aren't buying, therefore china is not producing.

China's demand, almost as big as the US demand for oil, has dropped significantly just as ours. This had created a huge slowing in demand. It takes time to adjust supply, and OPEC is doing what they can to turn oil prices around by adjusting supply. This is where OPEC has power, in that they control supply, which in turn affects price.

BigBadStang
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I've never bought into the supply and demand concept as I think it was all bullshit. The oil companys and our poilticians really thought that Americans could afford $4.00 a gallon for gas and in doing so are economy weakened and is failing. Prices of food went up, our heating bills went up, surcharges were added to everything you bought, people quit buying new vehicles that in turned caused layoffs in factorys, families didnt take vacations and people just stopped buying because all their money was going into gas.
Now they blame in on the failed housing loans when in fact if it wasnt for such high gas prices people would have had the money to maybe pay back some or most of these loans. At this point I would gladly ride a bike to work just to watch these oil companys go belly up.
Im sure theres plenty of members that understand the economy and how it all works better then I but I do know that for myself the high prices of gas have effected my everyday living tremendously.
Yesterday I filled my truck up and with the money I saved from what it cost 3 months ago I was able to take my wife to dinner and then a movie. Its seems so small and trivia but not when millions of people are doing the same.

I'm hearing ya, but I was specifically referring to diesel fuel NOT gasoline. Right now, diesel is still in the mid $3/gallon range. The reason food, and every other transportable good went up in price was due to high Diesel prices, not high gasoline. Practically everything you buy has the price of diesel figured in to the retail price, due to having to be transported by either truck, train, or ship, or all of the above. I would rather pay more for gasoline, and have diesel drop to a manageable level than to have it the way it is now. This would have a larger impact for the masses on prices for all goods, and would help get the economy rolling again.

mustang8998
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
Historically, the average price of diesel fuel has been lower than the average price of gasoline. However, this is not always the case. In some winters where the demand for distillate heating oil is high, the price of diesel fuel has risen above the gasoline price. Since September 2004, the price of diesel fuel has been generally higher than the price of regular gasoline all year round for several reasons. Worldwide demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils has been increasing steadily, with strong demand in China, Europe, and the United States, putting more pressure on the tight global refining capacity. In the United States, the transition to ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel has affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs. Also, the Federal excise tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents higher per gallon (24.4 cents per gallon) than the tax on gasoline.

This comes from here (http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/diese)

Mavowar
11-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Again, this sillyness that politicians and whatever else have all the much to do with gas prices is blatantly naive.

Oil is traded (http://www.nymex.com/lsco_pre_agree.aspx), on the market, much like stock. It's price is set by demand, and supply. Like it or not, if you want to believe it or not. That is how it works. Read the link, oil is one of the most traded commodities.

A lot of oil producing countries are up in arms right now because of the price of oil. OPEC doesn't set the price, that's why they're trying to scale back supply in order to ramp up price a bit. Most countries that produce large amounts of oil, set their budgets based on the price per barrel. Most countries I believe set their budgets for spending at around the $80 dollar per barrel price. Some countries had planned on at least $90 per barrel.

The oil price has fallen simply because demand has fallen. The US economy became weak, because of credit problems. This in turn helped a lot of world economies to become weak as well. A lot of countries rely heavily on us, as we are a HUGE importer. Walmart is probably the signal largest importer in the whole world... lol. Our economy falls, others do as well. China is not doing well, as their largest importer (the U.S.) is in a slowing economy and not really wanting to bring in a lot of stuff. Consumers aren't buying, therefore china is not producing.

China's demand, almost as big as the US demand for oil, has dropped significantly just as ours. This had created a huge slowing in demand. It takes time to adjust supply, and OPEC is doing what they can to turn oil prices around by adjusting supply. This is where OPEC has power, in that they control supply, which in turn affects price.

Perhaps it is naive to think that politicians/.goverment in general are not in big business's ass so deep all you see is thier feet dangling out. That would include oil and all it's subsidiaries. :D:popcorn:

BigBadStang
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Perhaps it is naive to think that politicians/.goverment in general are not in big business's ass so deep all you see is thier feet dangling out. That would include oil and all it's subsidiaries. :D:popcorn:

Of course they are Mav! You're right. Why else would the Federal Government do things such as mandate a change in diesel fuel from low sufur to ultra low sulfur when it is proven that the ultra low sulfur fuel get LESS fuel mileage due to a decrease in BTU per gallon, and the fuel is more expensive (6-10 cents per gallon) to make. And conveniently, the entities that are government subsidized (railroad) aren't required to switch to ultra low yet. All the while, hiding behind the environmental impact crap.

02mingryGT
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Of course they are Mav! You're right. Why else would the Federal Government do things such as mandate a change in diesel fuel from low sufur to ultra low sulfur when it is proven that the ultra low sulfur fuel get LESS fuel mileage due to a decrease in BTU per gallon, and the fuel is more expensive (6-10 cents per gallon) to make. And conveniently, the entities that are government subsidized (railroad) aren't required to switch to ultra low yet. All the while, hiding behind the environmental impact crap.

Let me think, maybe because of the global warming push? Lower emissions. The refiners aren't making more money they just passed the entire cost of this GOVERNMENT mandated crap on to the consumer.

fastone
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Diesel fuel = 2.95 a gallon at the little store on Double AA at the campbell county/pendleton county line. I hope I can hold off till Saturday, since I will be headed that way hunting!

relaxednoma
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
1.87 for 87 in mason where I work, 2.07 in union where I live. 1.79 is nice in grant county.

when I drove for TNT/Ceva Logistics (parked box truck at Beechmont Home Depot, we did all of the areas HD box truck deliveries) it took around $295 to fill it up, I can only imagine what it is now.

thecollector
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Yet another reason that diesel is higher- American refineries use catalytic cracking as opposed to the Hydrocracking method that Europe Uses. Europe switched back in the 80's and it is one of the many reasons Europe gets all the cool small diesel cars and trucks. Our method yields more gasoline per barrel of crude and less diesel. When they cannot refine the product themselves fast enough to meet demand they have to buy it on the open market already refined- at a price premium of course. I do remember 2 years ago that diesel I purchased in alabama left me stranded in Ohio at a hotel looking for a bottle of anti-gel at a truck stop. I am not sure if they have to add the anti-gel since the widespread use of the ULSD line of fuels. If they do thats another reason/excuse.