Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
social security and childsupport question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : social security and childsupport question

plated
10-29-2008, 05:00 PM
i have a question i'm trying to figure this out for my g/f.her x is drawing social security and not paying childsupport,shouldn't they be taking childsupport out of the ssi checks? anyone delt with this situation??

Dirtyd0g
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
My cousin has to deal with this. She gets paid her child support from the state. I think you need to inquire at the social security office.
Alan

Black92LX
10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Nope.
SSI is pretty much untouchable when it comes to garnishment.
The feds can from time to time but it's tough.
The states and Individuals don't really have a chance at garnishing an SSI check

'92Stang
10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
:agree: with the #2 post
My brother had the same problem from his low rent ex. SSI should be cutting the check. Nobodys check gets garnished. I believe the child gets a subsidiary check, with one parent being disabled??

k062693w
10-29-2008, 05:26 PM
:agree:
My brother had the same problem from his low rent ex. SSI should be cutting the check.

Exactly.. She should be recieving half of what ever he recieves,For the children, And it is divided between them ( depending on how many )
Example.. If he is getting $1,000, the children are entitled to $500.. If there are 2 children, then each would recieve $250 and so on..This does not effect his..
Have her call the local Social Security office and they will set it up, And she doesn't have to deal with him... They will take care of it..
I hope this helps

plated
10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
shame a grown ass man can't work:rolleyes: but you see people half slumped over in a wheelchair at walmart working:tard: i think she's going to call the ssi office in the morning,she just caught wind of him collecting checks she thinks he just started recieving them,actually she knows he is.what a deadbeat peice of shit:squirt: 7 yrs never paid support and never been in jail for it

Waffles
10-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Exactly.. She should be recieving half of what ever he recieves,For the children, And it is divided between them ( depending on how many )
Example.. If he is getting $1,000, the children are entitled to $500.. If there are 2 children, then each would recieve $250 and so on..This does not effect his..
Have her call the local Social Security office and they will set it up, And she doesn't have to deal with him... They will take care of it..
I hope this helps

Well, that's not exactly the calculation for child support. They can take roughly 50% of the net check to apply toward back support however. There needs to be a specific order from the court regarding how much.

347sc
10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Nope.
SSI is pretty much untouchable when it comes to garnishment.
The feds can from time to time but it's tough.
The states and Individuals don't really have a chance at garnishing an SSI check

Sorry but that is incorrect. I know several people that have support taken from their SSI. If you owe back child support and get a lump some from the time you signed up to the time the approved it will be taken from it also. True story.lol

Thing is even if it is not taken from his check yet he is still liable for it. Have her file a motion with the court and provide the proof and they will do the rest

zippy94
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
My wife Is Licensed social worker MSW, And worked for a family court judge. And Said; If she has a court order child support to her, And he is getting SSI. Then all she has to do is go to the SSI office present documentation of court order. And they will set it up for you. And possibily back child support, But you may have to take his ass back to court.

k062693w
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, that's not exactly the calculation for child support. They can take roughly 50% of the net check to apply toward back support however. There needs to be a specific order from the court regarding how much.

Yes it is correct.. Social Security doesn't care how much the child support agreement is for.. The children's benifit from Social Security is half of what the parent recieves. This is one subject that I do know something about.
Another Example: If the court finds child support for one child at $100 a month, And the parent is receiving $1,000 a month. The child will receive $500 a month, And there is nothing the parent receiving the benifit can o about it.. And it works both ways.. If the court finds the child support to be a $1000 a month, And the parent is only receiving $1000 a month in benifits. The childs beneift will still only be $500 a month..
If there is back support.. Yes the parent receiving benifits is still liable to pay it back, But they will NOT garnish his benifits to pay it.. That they will leave to the courts, Where they could be found in contempt and put in jail..