Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Please help me setup/organize my garage. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help me setup/organize my garage.

Black92LX
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Finally got all the stuff organized in the house so it's time to get to work on the garage.
I am terrible with space utilization so I am asking for help.

I will start with a couple pictures and dimensions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/DSCN0504.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/DSCN0505.jpg

Garage door is 16'x8'
Garage is 20'wide x 25' deep x 11' high.
There are three independent outlets on the back wall. They are hard to see because they are white. 1 is where the black box on the wall is and the other is just over to the right of it. The 3rd is in the right corner behind my shelf.

There is 1 independent on the left wall (center) and the same on the right. Also have 1 in the ceiling.

I have attached a very very crude drawing of what I am going for. I want to keep it fairly simple. I have about 12 feet from the front of the cars to the back wall.
The 02 Mustang will be pulled in and out everyday as it's the wife's DD and that will be my main work area (unless I need more then both will be pulled out.
The 96 will be kept on the other side under a cover.

I also have two mountain bikes that are to be kept in the garage and I am thinking about hanging them on the celling with one of those pulley systems above the work bench.

Yes the right wall still needs to be painted grey. I just need to move the crap. The back wall is going to be painted a blue of some sort to add to spruce it up a bit. The floor is going to be a dark grey epoxy.

I plan on tiling the visible concrete and above (slightly for water protection of the drywall)
I have a hose bib in the back and a full length drain at the front.
Essentially I want to be able to flood the garage to clean it from time to time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/Garage.jpg

bestracing
10-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd keep the walls white. Helps with lighting especially in a garage with limited lighting.

cobrajoe
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't tile if you plan on cleaning it the way you say. Maybe splash sill around the bottom and epoxy/thin finish the floor.

mustangboy
10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I would not do tile either. Definatley epoxy the concrete the same as the floor. Also check out the forums on garagejournal.com, there is a ton of good info on there.

MrsAPE
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
When your done with yours will you come do ours?! Looks like a nice layout and being a girl I know nothing about organizing a garage so I'll just hush now.

Ric54
10-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I agree with the previous posts. Keep it white. Mount lots of lights.

The epoxy floor is also the way to go.

I would consider not putting the storage bench in front of the 02 Mustang. It looks like it might get crowed in that area. If you want to work on the back of the 02 and need to pull it in farther into the garage you might not be able to. I used roll away cabinets that store under my benches. I built the benches just high enough to fit the cabinets (they were on sale at Sears). I can also use two them with a piece of plywood as an extra temporary bench or work area.

Another thing to look at is suspending storage near the ceiling. Some of it is made to lower down to get into it. Do you have storage in the attic above?? You should consider a way to get to that area if you do. Such as a pull down stairs.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Black92LX
10-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I have 12 feet from the nose of the 02 to the back wall. So if I use a 30" work bench. I still have approximately 9.5". Not too cramped if I don't junk it up. Plus I still have 3 feet from the tail to the garage door so it can be bumped back 2 feet. still giving me 11.5' feet.

This portable lift system has really sparked my interest. I was looking at some scissor lifts. But I think this may be the way to go.
Supposedly it's going to run about $1700 shipped. http://www.maxjaxusa.com/index.html
http://www.maxjaxusa.com/images/maxjax-two-post-portable-lift.png

Also in the garage there is no storage for anything that is not garage or yard related aside from the two bikes. I have a large room in the basement dedicated for storage.
There is no storage in the attic above the garage. That is where my heat pump for the 2nd floor is so no need for access from the garage.
My access is in the laundry room on the 2nd floor.

As for lighting. I am going to be adding an 8' dual HO tube on the left and right walls just above the exposed concrete. As well as 3 more more 4' fluorescence on the celing. 1 of those will be dedicated only for the garage door open light. Will only be used when the garage door is opened or closed or when I hit the 10 minute light button on the opener.

I was thinking of suspending an air hose and extension cord from the ceiling between the two cars. just to keep crap off the floor but I will probably wait till I get more things in place and see if it will be worth it or not.

glassman
10-28-2008, 12:41 PM
If you have room above the garage door? I have been in a few garages with storage above the doors and I think it is a great use of wasted space. Also hang cabinets high enough that you can use space under them. The adjustable shelves like the heavy duty ones home depot uses are great for holding a lot of heavy stuff and you can put a bench under them.

Timido
10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I have the heavy shelves from Sams club 8x2 With a sheet of 5/8s hardwood on top of vertical 2x10s that go in channels. Makes a nice workbench/ with heavy duty shelves. I like the cabnets I got on clearance nice storage off the floor. I wish I would have bought more. I like that lift. I want a 2 post that Doesnt allways have to be in the way that might be the one. I have 6 8ft HD HO tubes and they are nice and bright. Wire up a 220 outlet and as many outlets as you can. I have outlets every 6 feet and 2 of them on the ceiling with a drop extension cord on a reel. I need a shed for all the crap.

Timido
10-28-2008, 05:45 PM
That lift is cool till you see it only lifts a car to 45" That would be ok if you only had 8ft walls but with 11 feet I would want more height