Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
when you guys were a teenager. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : when you guys were a teenager.

Ryan218
10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
when you guys were younger did any of you do detailing? for like a car lot or a detail shop? its something id like to do and was wondering where the best place to go to would be? any opinions?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-19-2008, 03:38 PM
When i was real young, like 6-7 years old, my parents worked at a place in Lexington KY that specialized in detailing high end cars like Porsche/Ferrari, limos, and generally anyone rich. I was pretty young but i did pick up a lot of knowledge. As for doing it as a job, that's hard to say. I don't know off hand of any detail shops around here...it might be a good business opportunity.

leroy93lx
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I got a job at the local Ford dealer detailing cars about a week after I got my license. I worked there until I got my internship at a Machine Shop my senior year. Then I was doing them out of my garage after work . Learning to buff is key. Most places dont have someone that I would consider to be a "pro" buffer. If you can do a swirl free finished product and you get your name out there you could make damn good money. You have to have a facility set up to do it to. I set up my dads garage like a paint booth! It made it alot easier to see imperfections and dirt. I think its the perfect high school job for a person who is into cars. I enjoyed it.

Sparky
10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I started out detailing in a body shop at 16,and I was also a painters helper there as well. I scheduled all my classes so they would let me out at noon, and sometimes I would work 40+ hours. My junior and senior year, I worked at Nelson Auto Group in Marysville. I started out washing cars on the line, eventually I was a full time detailer, working on everything from used cars to the Vipers and Lambos. They also had me inspect the new cars coming off the carriers. Its a good high school job,but I wouldn't try to make a career out of it, unless you could work on the high end stuff for flat rate.

Bluecrew07
10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Last time i was there they needed a full time detailer down at FROGGY'S Carwash in newtown.

banginstang07
10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
yea i work at the pontiac dealer in the kings auto mall im a lot tech so i detail the cars as they go out its actually really fun... just go around to different places and ask for an application.

Ryan218
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM
yeah. i think it would be fun. and like you said. its about the only way to work with cars at this age. id like to work within and somehow work my way up into the body shop because i enjoy body work but would like to learn more.

Black92LX
10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
you could try Black Tie Detailing in Sharonville

Stangman
10-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I was a lot tech for a dealership for about 6 months... and I will tell you that Lot Tech = Lot Bitch.... It sucked. You caught hell from EVERYONE for EVERYTHING even if it wasn't your fault or beyond your control.

Not saying that ALL dealerships are alike, but they treat you like you are disposable, which to them, you are.

A lot of the Salesmen like me because I would clean the hell out of a car, and fast! I was commonly tipped because I could get them in and out and looking good. I even did personal cars owned by the salesmen.

I tried to get into the bodyshop over there, but with no luck, they never would hire on another person. Oh well, I am self teaching myself with pretty good success.

Oh, and wetsanding/buffing... thats cake :cool1: