Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Thinking of getting an LS1. What are the chances that I'll regret it? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an LS1. What are the chances that I'll regret it?

92StangMan
10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
The past few weeks I've pondered the idea of selling my 5.0 and SHO to get a decent LS1 (lightly modded Z28, SS or WS6) just to try something different. I've owned 5 Mustangs and lately the looks of the F-bodies have grown on me, just that I'm a bit hesitant with the interior.

Another upside to having one is I rarely see an SS around here. Maybe a few a year, that's it, where-as you see a Mustang every day.

Have any of you had a 'stang, gotten an LS1 and then went back? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

USMCPONY
10-13-2008, 12:34 AM
My dad has a 02 SS and with a few bolt ons it is just as fast if not faster than my KB supercharged 07 Mustang. My gf also has a 98 Camaro. Camaro's can be made faster than Mustangs easier but Camaro's have so many problem (from my experience with them). My dads car has full exhaust and it sounds like shit. It pops and cracks during acceleration and decelerantion (I havent heard one sound good yet. All of them pop and crack). My girlfriends wasnt taken care of like my dads is and her rattles and makes noises everytime you hit a bump. During high school I had a fox body and I had 4 friend with Mustangs and 15 friends with either a corvette, firebird WS6, or z28/SS with a LT1 or LS1. All of the GM cars had problems all the time from blown motors, broken trannys, and rearends. Some of them was stock and some with bolt ons. None of them ran faster than 12.1. If you build it right and get one in great shape you will be happy. As far as my friends with Mustang only one broke a rearend in his 99 Saleen.

Sparky
10-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I bought an 01 SS brand new and I loved it. The LS1 is a good engine, it has lots of potential. I ran a 13.6 @102 without even touching it. I've heard that 98's are frowned upon, because of the EGR system and some other 1 year only stuff. I can't say anything bad about them, other than the cost of parts. I'd own one again if I had the money. Right now I'd settle for anything I could run the piss out of.

92StangMan
10-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks.

Should I look to find one under a certain mileage? I've read where a lot of 6-speed LS1 owners get 25+mpg on the highway. Basically I'm looking for a 12-second car that gets good gas mileage and is dependable.

BIGRED Z
10-13-2008, 05:59 AM
My WS6 is a 6 speed, it gets great mileage and that's even with 410's on her.

Exhaust, done right, sounds great on an LS1. I like the deep rumble of it. I have hookers (long tubes) a magnaflow catback and 2 electric cutouts. It is much beefier than the Z28 I had. That had a cutout and a loudmouth.

As far as interior, the camaro interior is better than the pontiac. But I like the exterior styling of the pontiac better. It's a tradeoff...

My dad is a Ford guy (retired from Ford), he had an 01 GT vert, which had great interior. He now has an 06 GT vert, which is a little shy on leg room and head room. And I'm not really tall (5'6") and IMHO, the interior looks a little cheap.

Naturally, the lowest possible mileage would be preferred, but more importantly is how it has been driven for whatever mileage it has had. Obviously, buying one from a 17yr old who beat the piss out of it, day in and day out, would be bad.

Good luck!

That's my .02

YouGotJunk
10-13-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm seriously thinking about making the switch also. I think it would be real nice rolling around in something with full leather interior, sweet stereo, with cold a/c or good heat blowing on ya..and still be able to go rip off some mid-low 11's really easily. If I get the chance, I'll switch over!

Paul408Notch
10-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Aside from the fragile-as-glass rear ends, junk oil pumps, and constantly going bad window regulators, I can't say I've heard much negative of them.

92StangMan
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks.

I picked up a second job today and will begin working next week to start saving up.

WideOpenThrottl
10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
LS1's run great for stock and are impressive with mild mods and even more with a shot. My LS1 gets 27 MPG on the highway!

nskaats
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
A 98 is definitely something avoid for some of the reasons mentioned above. They have the oddball heads, weak (relatively) rod bolts, pinion seal is junk, and the PCM is an oddball as well. Avoid them if at all possible. As far as the rest of them, if these guys are blowing engines and transmissions on a regular basis there are some driver issues involved.

The stock 7.5" 10-bolt will always be a weak point, but can be beefed up for relatively cheap. My Formula did consistent 1.60 60' times with 4.10s, bearing cap studs, and a soild pinion spacer. Axles and carrier were stock.

USMCPONY, from what you're saying it sounds like your dad's car has an SLP exhaust, probably a loud mouth. The loudmouth sounds like total shit on every car. The popping and cracking will go away for the most part with proper tuning. The LS1s definitely have a unique exhaust note, and it does sound good with the right exhaust.

The engines only have a couple flaws. The stock oil pump needs a mild clean up port job, but it's not something you'll have to worry about with a bolt-on car. The 98 cars have relatively weak rod bolts, 99 was the first upgrade, and 01 was the second upgrade. Even the 98 cars usually don't run into problems with the rod bolts until you're making well over 400 HP at the wheels.

As far as the good points....well I wouldn't even know where to start. The LS1s have awesome potential for power in stock form and they get completely ridiculous when you start modifying. A properly designed heads/cam package car can put down 500 HP to the tires on a stock bottom end. You can safely run 11-12 lbs of boost or a 200+ HP shot of nitrous on the stock bottom end as well. Mike Brown's twin turbocharged Trans Am went 9.80s on a stock bottom end with a 3,700+ lb race weight. Another big plus is that the cost of parts is coming down considerably from what it used to be. The stock block can handle 1000 HP and you can go as far as 450+ cubes. Aftermarket blocks allow up to 522 cubes and will take 2,500+ HP.

I personally prefer the Pontiacs inside and out. The Camaros look like a friggin bass up front, but the ass end looks pretty good. After you've had a Pontiac, driving a Camaro feels like a taxi cab. They completely suck compared to the Pontiacs. I currently own both and have driven both every day, but this is just my $0.02. Some people might even tell you I've turned a wrench on one once before ;)

poncho2001
10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
A 98 is definitely something avoid for some of the reasons mentioned above. They have the oddball heads, weak (relatively) rod bolts, pinion seal is junk, and the PCM is an oddball as well. Avoid them if at all possible. As far as the rest of them, if these guys are blowing engines and transmissions on a regular basis there are some driver issues involved.

The stock 7.5" 10-bolt will always be a weak point, but can be beefed up for relatively cheap. My Formula did consistent 1.60 60' times with 4.10s, bearing cap studs, and a soild pinion spacer. Axles and carrier were stock.

USMCPONY, from what you're saying it sounds like your dad's car has an SLP exhaust, probably a loud mouth. The loudmouth sounds like total shit on every car. The popping and cracking will go away for the most part with proper tuning. The LS1s definitely have a unique exhaust note, and it does sound good with the right exhaust.
The engines only have a couple flaws. The stock oil pump needs a mild clean up port job, but it's not something you'll have to worry about with a bolt-on car. The 98 cars have relatively weak rod bolts, 99 was the first upgrade, and 01 was the second upgrade. Even the 98 cars usually don't run into problems with the rod bolts until you're making well over 400 HP at the wheels.

As far as the good points....well I wouldn't even know where to start. The LS1s have awesome potential for power in stock form and they get completely ridiculous when you start modifying. A properly designed heads/cam package car can put down 500 HP to the tires on a stock bottom end. You can safely run 11-12 lbs of boost or a 200+ HP shot of nitrous on the stock bottom end as well. Mike Brown's twin turbocharged Trans Am went 9.80s on a stock bottom end with a 3,700+ lb race weight. Another big plus is that the cost of parts is coming down considerably from what it used to be. The stock block can handle 1000 HP and you can go as far as 450+ cubes. Aftermarket blocks allow up to 522 cubes and will take 2,500+ HP.

I personally prefer the Pontiacs inside and out. The Camaros look like a friggin bass up front, but the ass end looks pretty good. After you've had a Pontiac, driving a Camaro feels like a taxi cab. They completely suck compared to the Pontiacs. I currently own both and have driven both every day, but this is just my $0.02. Some people might even tell you I've turned a wrench on one once before ;)

I agree, I have a 2001 Pontiac Formula with a few mods :lol: and have not had any major issue's with the car. 38,000 miles on a stock bottom end making 415hp to the wheels.

PKFIRE
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
My buddy picked up a 2001 6 speed red ram air with only 9000 miles on it and I love the way the car looks. He got a killer deal on it also. If it's what you want I say go for it.

BTW would it be wrong to own both a Mustang and Camaro/Trans Am,lol?

Camaro86SHOCKER
10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
i own both. Ive owned my share of f-bodys as well as now owning a mustang. The rear end replaced with a moser 9 should just be factored into the price of the car since the 7.5 is complete junk. However if your making alot of power chances are you gonna have to upgrade the 8.8 in a mustang anyways.
They both have their ups and downs and i love them both so i gotta say i dont think you will have any regrets, you will just notice some changes.

Motorvation
10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
BTW would it be wrong to own both a Mustang and Camaro/Trans Am,lol?

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just don't be afraid to race it.
Now add a pimped out Yugo and we'll be laughin!:tongue2:

PKFIRE
10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all. Just don't be afraid to race it.
Now add a pimped out Yugo and we'll be laughin!:tongue2:

Those GVX's look pretty good,lol.
http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/scott.html

smoker
10-13-2008, 11:47 PM
my dads got a 98 vette and has had not problems but its just got a few minor bolt ons. he also had a 99 transam 6 spd and had no problems but hes not as hard on his stuff as i am...and i aint that bad on stuff.

331TwistedWedge
10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm seriously thinking about making the switch also. I think it would be real nice rolling around in something with full leather interior, sweet stereo, with cold a/c or good heat blowing on ya..and still be able to go rip off some mid-low 11's really easily. If I get the chance, I'll switch over!

exactly my plans when foxlake sends my parts back with a spec'd out cam ... except 10's with cold ac ...

if you cant enjoy the car on the street what good is it ...

bkstang95
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I also have a 98 corvette with the LS1 in it and have to say it is definitely a very strong motor. Haven't had any issues out of it and gets 30-31 on the highway. I got it with 9k miles on it and it now has roughly 83k miles on it and has spent most of that time near the redline... so it really passed the test as far as durability. I must say i am a bigger Mustang fan than the GM cars for some reason. The sound of a mustang gets me everytime...

92StangMan
10-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Can these cars still be streetable and daily driven even with high to mid 11 ETs?

nskaats
10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Can these cars still be streetable and daily driven even with high to mid 11 ETs?

Yes. You can run 11s with stock heads and cam, full interior, etc. when you get the chassis to hook right and do a little work on the drivetrain. My Formula went consistent 12.20s with a limping 4L60E shifting from 2nd straight to 4th. The car had a race weight of about 3,600 lbs, completely stock engine, full exhaust, tuning, gears, a street converter, and some suspension bolt-ons.

There are cam only cars running stock heads and running in the mid 10 second range. There are also plenty of LS cars out there with forced induction or spray that are running deep in the 10 second range and daily driveable. While some people may choose not to drive them every day, there are also a handful of 8 second street cars out there. Mike Brown's T/A is a 3,700 lb turbocharged beast that ran 8.60s-8.70s...and still street driven. Still retained all of the creature comforts.

Nitrouscoupe
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I regret buying my mustang all the time instead of another camaro.

bestracing
10-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I bought an 01 SS brand new and I loved it. The LS1 is a good engine, it has lots of potential. I ran a 13.6 @102 without even touching it. I've heard that 98's are frowned upon, because of the EGR system and some other 1 year only stuff. I can't say anything bad about them, other than the cost of parts. I'd own one again if I had the money. Right now I'd settle for anything I could run the piss out of.

Weak Rod bolts is the #1 things with 98's. Stock they're fine. Start producing power and watch out.

For the most part the motors are GREAT!! The T-56 transmissions hold up real well to mods.

The negative's: Weak 10 bolt rear ends. Can handle light mods but anything more and Kaboom!! Most people swap to 12 bolt or 9" rear ends.
Weak Auto transmissions, 4L60E. Need upgraded to handle larger power.

92StangMan
10-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Is there a big difference in power between the LS1 and LT1? I've found a few nice looking LT1s that are definitely within my price range. Would it be advisable to just save up more for an LS1 or would an older one suffice?

poncho2001
10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I would save up for the LS1, while the LT1 is decent motor it has it's quirks, opti spark, reverse flow cooling to name a couple. And yes their is a difference in power.

nskaats
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
There is a difference of about 20 HP stock. A lot of people talk like the LT1 is the worst engine ever, but it's actually a ton of fun and very reliable if you know what you're doing. Most opti failures are caused by the installer. I have 2 LS1 cars and an LT1. I think I actually like driving my LT1 more on the street. They have a much flatter torque curve and make a ton down low, it's a perfect street engine. The torque curve lends itself very well to autox too.

The LS1s are definitely more refined though. Better heads, no distributor, 6-bolt mains for starters. They definitely have more power potential in the end. If you're going with a 6-speed the LT1s have a FAR better hydraulic setup on the clutch. The LS1 hydraulics suck

After having both, and working on enough of them over the years I've learned my way around them quite well. I would buy the car that you really like and you're going to have fun with it no matter what.

mb88coupe
10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
building a f body is like pulling the pin on a gernade.....boom its all over now!

thats what happend to my buddy... he ended up with a new motor that isnt cheap and alot more work then he wanted to do.

Kevin Doe
10-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm about as unbiased as they come. I own a mazda with a chevy motor, ford rear end, and various honda parts scattered around.

The LS series motors is what I'll be sticking with for a long time to come. Nobody has anything that can really compete with it.

nskaats
10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
building a f body is like pulling the pin on a gernade.....boom its all over now!

thats what happend to my buddy... he ended up with a new motor that isnt cheap and alot more work then he wanted to do.

I dunno man, GM blocks can handle more than 500 HP without coming apart...in fact, it's about double that safely in most cases. I can't believe a Ford guy is knocking GM's engines for durability....THAT is amusing. Anything that is beaten mercilessly and not taken care of is a ticking time bomb, no matter who makes it. That's why I don't buy modified cars and I take care of my rides.

On the other hand, the ol' 10-bolt is a different story. With a full weight car they can be built to safely go into the 1.60 second 60' range....buy beyond that you're screwed.

The LS series motors is what I'll be sticking with for a long time to come. Nobody has anything that can really compete with it.

He speaks truth.

bestracing
10-20-2008, 10:53 AM
The LS1s are definitely more refined though. Better heads, no distributor, 6-bolt mains for starters. They definitely have more power potential in the end. If you're going with a 6-speed the LT1s have a FAR better hydraulic setup on the clutch. The LS1 hydraulics suck

After now getting my hand on an LS1 I only have one complaint with it. When modifying the motor and heads you really need to get aftermarket rockers to be able to adjust lifter pre-load. The stock design relies on the maching tolerance and push rod length to set it and once you switch to different head gaskets and shaved the heads that is all out of wack.

Now most people will not have any problem with this and will be just fine. Also I'm so use to dealing with the prices of old SBC's that the prices of new parts for the LSx series was a real shocker. Think along the lines of BBC prices and more on some things. Still most people that cheap out in parts are doom to failure in time.

92StangMan
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I might have found one I'm going to buy. It's an '00 Z28 with 66k miles for $8k but the down side is that it's an auto.

I will post more information about it when I hear back and see what you guys think.

satan jamez
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Arn't these cars a PITA to change the spark plugs? Love the motors but they cram them pretty far back in the car don't they. I understand it's weight distribution. I'm one of those guy's who'd take a LS1 and put in a fox. I'll always bleed blue if stabbed, but it's hard to deny to LS's awesomeness :)

nskaats
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
They're not bad at all. The first couple of times they're kinda a pain while you're learning you way around the engine bay, but I can do plugs on my LT1 or LS1 cars in under a half hour from the top now.

bestracing
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
They're not bad at all. The first couple of times they're kinda a pain while you're learning you way around the engine bay, but I can do plugs on my LT1 or LS1 cars in under a half hour from the top now.

Yup, I actually think it was easier with long tubes on the LS1 unlike the old SBC motors