Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Spark plug tricks? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug tricks?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I just read an article where they listed 12 various things that are next to free that you can do to run faster, like bumping timing and unbolting front sway bars. Particularly they talked about filing down the tip of a spark plug to be rounded instead of square and to be right over top of the electrode underneath it. I've heard guys talk about this before, and the mag claims you can gain as much as a tenth in the quarter and 5lb/ft of torque all through the RPM range just by doing this.

My question is, does anyone routinely do this and have they seen any real improvements over just gapping them and going?

Also is there anything other than that that you guys are doing to your plugs?

Lastly, now that i've got heads and a cam and i'm running faster, what kind of gap should i be working with?

facemelter71
10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
What kind of ignition system you have?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm running a Malory Comp 9000 distributor that has the built in ignition. I've been reading about indexing the plugs, and one read said they saw 7rwhp gain on back to back dyno test just by indexing.

The other thing i was talking about was filing down the ground strap so it only reaches out to just center of the electrode...i worded it kinda funny before.

kennebellcobra
10-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Here is a link on side gapping http://www.performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/sparkplugs.html

I have done it...then I found out the autolite race are some what made with the side gaps. I used them for a while...had to order them and got expensive as often as I change my plugs with the blower so I decided to try ngk's(cheap and can get local) have been using them since. Never really did any back to back comparisons so can't tell you if I picked up anything or not.

black90lx
10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
i have heard of guys pointing the open end of the gap up towards the intake

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-09-2008, 05:21 PM
i have heard of guys pointing the open end of the gap up towards the intake

Yeah that's indexing. The idea is to screw in different plugs until you get a set that are all pointing towards the intake valves so that the spark is pointing towards the air/fuel mixture that comes into the chamber.

Something else i'm concerned about is there's oil all over my threads....and it doesn't seem to be leaking from the valve covers. I do have some leaky PCV grommets but again, i don't see a trail where it could be leaking from. This looks to be coming from the cylinders...is this blow-by? The car doesn't smoke except at high RPM, like at the track.

cobrajoe
10-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah that's indexing. The idea is to screw in different plugs until you get a set that are all pointing towards the intake valves so that the spark is pointing towards the air/fuel mixture that comes into the chamber.

Something else i'm concerned about is there's oil all over my threads....and it doesn't seem to be leaking from the valve covers. I do have some leaky PCV grommets but again, i don't see a trail where it could be leaking from. This looks to be coming from the cylinders...is this blow-by? The car doesn't smoke except at high RPM, like at the track.

Instead of doing that, screwing in several diff. ones you could try this. Indexing shims. Take a look here. I'm sure any of the local speed shops either have them or can get them.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925143+4294839068+115+4294 854256

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I knew there had to be something like that...my question there is, is there any possible draw back as far as how far in/out the plug is?

I did the best i could to get them all facing the intake valve, and i got the majority of them really close. That combined with the side gapping REALLY makes a noticable improvement in throttle response more than anything. My car is carbed, and it's probably the most responsive it's ever been. I don't know if i'd say it picked up any power but the responsiveness alone makes it worth the work.