Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Hardwood Floor Advice Needed [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Floor Advice Needed

TZ250
10-08-2008, 11:27 PM
What is the best way to install 3/4" oak hardwood flooring on a concrete slab? It fits together tongue and groove. I've heard that it should be a floating floor, and I've heard that it should be glued down.

I've since learned that I should have chosen a different floor for a slab...:confused: Unfortunately, I can't return the flooring. I have 400 sq. ft. of it.

TIA!

PaulFiveOh
10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey guy-

You really truly can not install solid 3/4" wood on a slab. Your product is extremely sensitive to moisture. It will change size and shape as it breathes. What makes the floor breath is the introduction of moisture, whether direct or ambient.
Your slab will sweat and directly introduce moisture.
And because 99% chance that your slab is below grade, you have a moisture problem as well.

Youre not dead out of the water yet though. You have 2 feasable options.

1- Product called Dri-Core. They are T&G 3/4 thick raised sub floor that has plastic risers that make it sit about 5/16" up off the floor. Then you can shoot in to it. Of course you would use nails that don't go through.

2- The other option is a moisture curing glue. The glue gets hard with the introduction of moisture. You can buy it at most flooring depots. Just call it Moisture curing glue. This will be your best bet but you will pay $100 for a couple gallons.
I have no idea what size notch to use because you are never supposed to glue 3/4.

Both of those options are bandaids and I can't see them lasting more than 8 to 10 years.
You also should get your floor as close to level as possible by sanding down high spots and using an auto leveler on low spots.

DSMAWD350 on css is a hardwood floor installer and I think he posts on here. He might be able to give some good advice too.

Note-
You can not float 3/4" T&G, so don't try. It will just come apart immedeaitly

95turbocharged
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I have been a flooring installer for 20 years, do not install 3/4 solid hardwood on concrete. you need to use a engineerd product that is not bothered by the moisture count in concrete.