Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Nitrous law [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous law

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 10:27 AM
O.K. can anyone tell me whether or not it is legal to have nitrous in your car while driving? I hear that it is illegal and other than people that enjoy huffing it I dont quite understand why it would be. It's no different than having a turbo or SC.

Walter
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
You cant spray more than a 200 shot on the street. :lol:

cstreu1026
10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Well the nitrous you get for automotive use isn't exactly what you would want to inhale since they add just a bit of sulfur dioxide to make it very unpleasent.

Anyway, I believe you would only get in trouble if they a bottle hooked up and the valve open.

quik lx
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Ask Terry (silver Bullet) he's a sheriff, he should know. I'm pretty sure as long as the line is disconnected from the bottle your good.

1992MustangDW
10-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I got pulled over officer checked my ride, asked me if that was nitrous I said yes, and he was like ok, never wrote me a ticket..... it was hooked up.

Stangman
10-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Ask Terry (silver Bullet) he's a sheriff.

Good God!! I hope he never has to "deputize" the Silver Bullet car! We'd all be screwed! :eek:

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Well I just spoke with Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Sergeant there told me that there's no real law that states whether or not its legal or illegal. He said as far as he is concerned if you get pulled over for speeding it doesn't matter how you acheived that speed ie nitrous turbo, SC, or big gust of wind behind you. Speeding is speeding. He then stated that if you are going to transport it in your vehicle to the track to drag race you are better to have it mounted in its brackets than say, laying on the floor next to the cough syrup and ammonia as nitrous is used in the processing of some illegal drugs. He stated if the car is street legal you should have nothing to worry about.

DeckerEnt
10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Good post. Cleared that one up. As long as you are not cooking meth, you are alright. So what about Meth injection? LOL Haa haaa.
Keith

Walter
10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Good post. Cleared that one up. As long as you are not cooking meth, you are alright. So what about Meth injection? LOL Haa haaa.
Keith

Crystal meth injection :lol: .

fst 5pto
10-02-2008, 11:50 AM
It is illegal. I will look and see if I can find my post on here about it. I got pulled over a couple years back and thought the cop was going to have a heart attack when he saw the bottle. Never got in any trouble, told him the guy I bought it from never told me it was illegal lol and plus it wasnt hooked up. He made me take the bottle out and strap it in the seat belt in the back seat.

cstreu1026
10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Removing it from the bracket that was designed for it and strapping in it with a seat belt designed to retain a human being is an absolutely rediculous idea. The last thing I would want is a full nitrous bottle flying around my car if I got in a wreck.

You are likely to get varying answers from officer to officer. Some know the laws and some think they know the laws.

fst 5pto
10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Removing it from the bracket that was designed for it and strapping in it with a seat belt designed to retain a human being is an absolutely rediculous idea. The last thing I would want is a full nitrous bottle flying around my car if I got in a wreck.

You are likely to get varying answers from officer to officer. Some know the laws and some think they know the laws.

I agree, I was wondering the same thing, but thats what the fugger demanded in order to let me go. As many cops as there were, you wouldv'e thought I had crack or something!

I looked into the law after that, and what I found was it is illegal on cars, except for those used for public services, such as cop cars, ambulances, etc.

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Well here's what I found on it in the Ohio Revised Code. After reading this it's basically saying cartridges not bottle which is 2 different definitions and it it also saying open cartridges at that. Cartridges are for like whippits.

Route: Ohio Revised Code» TITLE [29] XXIX CRIMES -- PROCEDURE» CHAPTER 2925: DRUG OFFENSES
2925.33 Possessing nitrous oxide in motor vehicle.
(A) As used in this section, “motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) Unless authorized under Chapter 3719., 4715., 4729., 4731., 4741., or 4765. of the Revised Code, no person shall possess an open cartridge of nitrous oxide in either of the following circumstances:

(1) While operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking;

(2) While being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of possessing nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-1997

Waffles
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
What I've heard, that both in OH and KY, your bottle must be closed. This is why a remote bottle opener will be a future purchase.

facemelter71
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
They have to have a warrent to dig through my trunk.End of that one.

nskaats
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
They have to have a warrent to dig through my trunk.End of that one.

Probable cause works too. One way or another, they have no reason to search through your car if your shit is hidden and you weren't doing anything too stupid.

facemelter71
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Probable cause works too. One way or another, they have no reason to search through your car if your shit is hidden and you weren't doing anything too stupid.

Usually they ask if i have any drugs or alcohol.Nop.Sure dont.

fst 5pto
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
The bottle was visible from outside, so probable cause came into play.

cstreu1026
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Well here's what I found on it in the Ohio Revised Code. After reading this it's basically saying cartridges not bottle which is 2 different definitions and it it also saying open cartridges at that. Cartridges are for like whippits.

Route: Ohio Revised Code» TITLE [29] XXIX CRIMES -- PROCEDURE» CHAPTER 2925: DRUG OFFENSES
2925.33 Possessing nitrous oxide in motor vehicle.
(A) As used in this section, “motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) Unless authorized under Chapter 3719., 4715., 4729., 4731., 4741., or 4765. of the Revised Code, no person shall possess an open cartridge of nitrous oxide in either of the following circumstances:

(1) While operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking;

(2) While being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on a street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of possessing nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-1997

The key word is open and if you are cited for it then contact an attorney and fight it.

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 02:15 PM
The key word is open and if you are cited for it then contact an attorney and fight it.

No I wasn't cited for it and neither was anyone I know. I just have always wondered if its legal or not, but according to the ORC there, it pretty much sums it all up.

nskaats
10-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Usually they ask if i have any drugs or alcohol.Nop.Sure dont.

The bottle was visible from outside, so probable cause came into play.

Yep. If they see anything that they deem to be suspicious...they have their probable cause. If the officer suspects that you are in violation of any law they can and will search your car if they choose to do so.

ADaughen
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
How much do you need to be transporting before you need one of those hazard signs on your rear bumper? :o

Mista Bone
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
cartridge is not a BOTTLE.

The little cartridges they are talking about is for whipped cream.

"Each nitrous cartridge contains approximately 7 g (160 mmol) N2O"

They are very similar to CO2 cartridges used in BB guns.

cstreu1026
10-02-2008, 03:33 PM
How much do you need to be transporting before you need one of those hazard signs on your rear bumper? :o

Doesn't matters since it wouldn't be a comercial vehicle but I seem to remember a few years back, police down south busting racers for haulling "too much" fuel for not having the proper paperwork, permits, etc.