Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dumb question about speed limits... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about speed limits...

Stangman
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
How often does Ohio think about changing the speed limits on roads?

Some of the roads I take to work seem to have limits Waay lower than what one could safely drive them...

Just curious how they go about doing it... Do they review them every so often or how does that work?

I can't drive 55!:cool1:

Gene
09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Speed limits in Ohio are based on zoning and traffic density. But you're not going to find any speed limit on a non-limited access road higher than 55 in this state.

Stangman
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
figures...

5 more miles an hour on Rt. 68 and I would be happy.

IWRBB
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
The state only controls the speed limits on state routes and on Ohio's Interstates- and only on the state route areas not in incorporated areas. On state routes outside of incorporated areas, it's a defualt of 55 MPH. It can be reduced by the state based on the safety of traveling 55 MPH on that road. See the link for detail.. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/trafficstudies/SpeedZones/Pages/default.aspx

If it's an incorporated area, the city controls the speed limit, not the state. That's why SR4 is only 25 MPH in Evendale. Lots of times, they put the limit artifically low (meaning there are no engineering reasons to reduce it as low as they have it), mainly to rake in cash with tickets.

Out in the townships, what is posted by the local guys on state routes may not the true speed limit of the road. That sign that says 35 MPH may be illegal, meaning ODOT's true speed limit on the road is 45, but the township threw up a 35 MPH sign 20 years ago and it's been there since.

Here's a link to the official speed zones on the state routes, a speed zone being any areas less than 55 MPH.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/HighwayOps/Traffic/miscellaneous/Pages/Regulations-Speed%20Zones.aspx
We are in District 8 around here. If it's not in the list and not in an incorporated area, it's 55 MPH.

Stangman
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Ha, I'll have to check that out when I get home... blocked at work, go figure

PaulFiveOh
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
The state only controls the speed limits on state routes and on Ohio's Interstates- and only on the state route areas not in incorporated areas. On state routes outside of incorporated areas, it's a defualt of 55 MPH. It can be reduced by the state based on the safety of traveling 55 MPH on that road. See the link for detail.. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/trafficstudies/SpeedZones/Pages/default.aspx

If it's an incorporated area, the city controls the speed limit, not the state. That's why SR4 is only 25 MPH in Evendale. Lots of times, they put the limit artifically low (meaning there are no engineering reasons to reduce it as low as they have it), mainly to rake in cash with tickets.

Out in the townships, what is posted by the local guys on state routes may not the true speed limit of the road. That sign that says 35 MPH may be illegal, meaning ODOT's true speed limit on the road is 45, but the township threw up a 35 MPH sign 20 years ago and it's been there since.

Here's a link to the official speed zones on the state routes, a speed zone being any areas less than 55 MPH.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/HighwayOps/Traffic/miscellaneous/Pages/Regulations-Speed%20Zones.aspx
We are in District 8 around here. If it's not in the list and not in an incorporated area, it's 55 MPH.

Very interesting post. Thanks! :)

IWRBB
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
No problem, I'm a Civil Engineer, I have deal with ODOT stuff like this from time to time. I try to stay clear of ODOT though, they are just a PITA.

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-12-2008, 08:02 PM
One limit that i laugh about every time i drive it is the one in Eastgate going through all the restaurants. It's 35mph, which is pretty ridiculous...in a high sort of a way. I cruise through at about 25mph and it's not only rough on bump wise but lots of corners and lots of cars, going 35 is almost hard.

Stangman
09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
One limit that i laugh about every time i drive it is the one in Eastgate going through all the restaurants. It's 35mph, which is pretty ridiculous...in a high sort of a way. I cruise through at about 25mph and it's not only rough on bump wise but lots of corners and lots of cars, going 35 is almost hard.

"Junkfood Alley" :bigthumb

Mista Bone
09-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Ricer Central