Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Computer advice needed [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Computer advice needed

04 Venom
09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
My PC is a couple of years old and it has Windows Vista Premium (I know, but it came with the computer). I am curious to know if any of you have switched recently to a Mac and what your experience has been. Is the software still more expensive as it was 5 years ago when I first explored switching? Thanks.

PaulFiveOh
09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
You can just ask any of us for working pirated software if its a problem....

I'll waste a DVD for someone to jump of the Vista bus.

Black92LX
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
There is no comparison to a Mac and a PC.
I love my Mac and will never buy another PC.
I have never paid for software other than Office everything else has some sort of freeware out there.

mach_u
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.stangheaven.com/temp/applegay.jpg
That is all I have to say. :lol: Of course I may be a little bias, being a PC tech... There are still limited software titles so you do not have the all flexibility of a PC. Everything(add-ons, upgrades, etc.) are WAY overpriced compared to a PC and worst of all you have to deal with the weirdos in the Apple store if anything breaks! I have had to make two trips in there to get my new Iphone 3G repaired/replaced - and I am very quickly reminded as to the clientele Apple panders to. More hippies, guys wearing girl jeans, and lisps than I care to deal with in one store. Then again, you are liberal - so you might be right at home(seriously, JUST KIDDING! lol) All that being said, if you don't need it for flexibility with business applications(I wouldn't rely on Parallels as it seems to run like crap...) you should be fine. For home use, from what I have seen Macs are great for picture editing, video editing, audio editing, etc. If you need to use it for a business environment at all, you might run into some issues.

04 Venom
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.stangheaven.com/temp/applegay.jpg
That is all I have to say. :lol: Of course I may be a little bias, being a PC tech... There are still limited software titles so you do not have the all flexibility of a PC. Everything(add-ons, upgrades, etc.) are WAY overpriced compared to a PC and worst of all you have to deal with the weirdos in the Apple store if anything breaks! I have had to make two trips in there to get my new Iphone 3G repaired/replaced - and I am very quickly reminded as to the clientele Apple panders to. More hippies, guys wearing girl jeans, and lisps than I care to deal with in one store. Then again, you are liberal - so you might be right at home(seriously, JUST KIDDING! lol) All that being said, if you don't need it for flexibility with business applications(I wouldn't rely on Parallels as it seems to run like crap...) you should be fine. For home use, from what I have seen Macs are great for picture editing, video editing, audio editing, etc. If you need to use it for a business environment at all, you might run into some issues.

Thanks. I guess I will stick with the PC.

04 Venom
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
You can just ask any of us for working pirated software if its a problem....

I'll waste a DVD for someone to jump of the Vista bus.

Thanks for the kind offer. I do have have a pirated copy.

PaulFiveOh
09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
I mean to say off the Vista bus, but seriously don't let the price of software hamper your switch. I'll give you any piece of software you would like for Leopard.

04 Venom
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I mean to say off the Vista bus, but seriously don't let the price of software hamper your switch. I'll give you any piece of software you would like for Leopard.

That is extremely generous of you, Paul. Since my wife does do office work from home regularly, I need to find out if that will create issues for her.

Holly
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I have heard nothing but bad crap about Vista, but quite honestly, I love it. I talked to our IT guy here at work before I purchased my new computer, and I could not be happier. I've had it for about 2 months now, and it's smokin fast, and I haven't (KNOCK ON WOOD) had any issues with it.

To each their own I guess......

Stangman
09-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I've got Vista on my laptop, and it works fantastic. I absolutely love it.

02mingryGT
09-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I have heard nothing but bad crap about Vista, but quite honestly, I love it. I talked to our IT guy here at work before I purchased my new computer, and I could not be happier. I've had it for about 2 months now, and it's smokin fast, and I haven't (KNOCK ON WOOD) had any issues with it.

To each their own I guess......

That's because the vast majority of problems with Vista and other Windows operating systems were with other makers software not getting along with it. But of course Microsoft got the blame. Kinda hard to make a perfect system when there are literally thousands of programs that run on it.

Stangman
09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
That's because the vast majority of problems with Vista and other Windows operating systems were with other makers software not getting along with it. But of course Microsoft got the blame. Kinda hard to make a perfect system when there are literally thousands of programs that run on it.

Exactly... you run a program and it crashes... and somehow its Windows' fault:rolleyes:

KobraII
09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I have a Mac laptop (Macbook Pro), and I love it. If you need the flexability of Windows with a Mac, just go out and get Boot Camp, and then you'll be just fine. My Mac does everything I want it to, and hasn't crashed one program at all in 2 months (that's how long I've had it)! Can't say the same thing about my XP/Vista desktop

Black92LX
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
That is extremely generous of you, Paul. Since my wife does do office work from home regularly, I need to find out if that will create issues for her.

You can run a full blown version of windows on a Mac if you would like.

But it's not needed.
Microsoft Office is fully supported by Leopard for $130.

Pretty much the only thing a Mac doesn't do very well is AUTOCAD stuff. Though now with bootcamp it is possible just a little slower.

PaulFiveOh
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Good point. Venom, what this means to you is that you can run both Windows AND OSX (The Mac OS). You just choose which one you want to boot up in to when you turn your computer on.

Mista Bone
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Vista runs great on my sons PC, ONCE I bought him 4GB of RAM for his BDay, Vista 64 bit.

Stangman
09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Had much trouble getting certain programs to run on that 64 bit comp?

I've heard there isnt a whole lot of 64 bit vista compatible software out there.. Well at the time I heard it atleast

PaulFiveOh
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I have run 64 bit with 8 gigs of ram for the last year and it is GREAT

IE8 x64 runs unreal fast. Problem is there isnt alot of pirated 64bit software yet

mach_u
09-08-2008, 08:25 PM

But it's not needed.
Microsoft Office is fully supported by Leopard for $130.

Pretty much the only thing a Mac doesn't do very well is AUTOCAD stuff. Though now with bootcamp it is possible just a little slower.
That is the Parallels Desktop I mentioned in the previous post that has a lot of bugs. We have several clients running it and there are A LOT of issues with it. If you thought a PC running Windows crashes a lot... :lol:

04 Venom
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I really appreciate all the helpful advice. For the time being, I'm going to add memory to see how that does before trying more drastic solutions. Memory is cheap.

Black92LX
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
That is the Parallels Desktop I mentioned in the previous post that has a lot of bugs. We have several clients running it and there are A LOT of issues with it. If you thought a PC running Windows crashes a lot... :lol:

Parallels is a completely different program than bootcamp. Boot camp is Apples way for running windows. I still run XP not Vista.

Parallels tends to have lots of bugs. I have yet to run into with any with bootcamp.